Welcome to the 2014-15 Cycle

Poli92

Nope.. from the results page it looks like they do sometimes interview.

It's not clear if they do so across the board though.

Thanks. That results page entry got me worried,  because I haven't heard anything either. Any idea when we'll hear something?

Anyone applying to the following Schools Poli Sci Phd? Yale, Princeton, Rutgers, Uconn, Stony Brook, and Vandy?

Yep, I applied to Stony Brook. You and one other person seem to have received invitations to interview via Skype. I have not, which likely means rejection.

Anyhow, congrats on the interview...let us know how it goes! :)

Edited by Bubandis

It looks like UW and MSU passed me by, too.  I haven't heard anything from Notre Dame yet either.
I do have an interview with Binghamton soon though, and I'm actually pretty excited about that program.  Congratulations to all those who have been accepted so far. 

Edited by fakeusername

Yep, I applied to Stony Brook. You and one other person seem to have received invitations to interview via Skype. I have not, which likely means rejection.

Anyhow, congrats on the interview...let us know how it goes! :)

We can be hopeful, even with not getting an interview! They wrote on their page, if they deem it desirable.

It looks like UW and MSU passed me by, too.  I haven't heard anything from Notre Dame yet either.

I do have an interview with Binghamton soon though, and I'm actually pretty excited about that program.  Congratulations to all those who have been accepted so far. 

When did you apply to Binghamton? Do they have rolling admissions? Weird since their deadline hasn't come up yet

When did you apply to Binghamton? Do they have rolling admissions? Weird since their deadline hasn't come up yet

I applied several weeks ago.  I don't think it or any other polsci PhD programs have rolling admissions, but since their deadline is still a few days away I doubt you would be excluded if you haven't applied yet or if you did just recently.  I was surprised to hear back so soon myself. 

edit: In the email they sent me to set up an interview, they mentioned that they have not started making any decisions.  Probably they are just getting a head start on the interviewing process for some candidates.

Edited by fakeusername

I applied several weeks ago.  I don't think it or any other polsci PhD programs have rolling admissions, but since their deadline is still a few days away I doubt you would be excluded if you haven't applied yet or if you did just recently.  I was surprised to hear back so soon myself. 

edit: In the email they sent me to set up an interview, they mentioned that they have not started making any decisions.  Probably they are just getting a head start on the interviewing process for some candidates.

I see. thanks for the update.

Thanks. That results page entry got me worried,  because I haven't heard anything either. Any idea when we'll hear something?

In the past two years they seem to have notified most applicants (both accepted and rejected) around the 10th/second week of February..

Yeah, I applied to Princeton and Vanderbilt.  Good luck!

Same for me as well. I wish Princeton wasn't one of the last schools to report...at least last year they announced mid-February, the previous two years it was closer to the end of the month.

Sorry if my questions seem rather naive, but this is my first (and hopefully final) try at applying for schools @__@ I understand these questions are very broad and that different schools will have very different ways of handling everything, so I guess I'm just asking these based on everyone's knowledge/experience.

1. It seems like certain institutions seem to be really on-the-ball about getting back to people - is this typical? Like, hearing after only 2 weeks or so? I was *shocked* to see MSU's decision come out so soon, especially considering I submitted my application basically at the deadline (January 2nd) and it wasn't even entirely complete until the 9th (Transcript Troubles, Vol. I)

2. Is it odd to not be e-mailed concerning an acceptance (yet seeing your status showing as accepted on the website/portal), or should I be waiting for the acceptance letter goodies in the snail mail? 

MORE TO COME

Edited by LittleMac

Aside from Stony Brook I have not heard back from any of the other schools on my list yet. IF you guys do, let me know.

Yale (Political Science), Princeton (Political Science), Uconn (Political Science), Stony Brook (Political Science), Rutgers (Political Science), Vanderbilt (Political Science).

Sorry if my questions seem rather naive, but this is my first (and hopefully final) try at applying for schools @__@ I understand these questions are very broad and that different schools will have very different ways of handling everything, so I guess I'm just asking these based on everyone's knowledge/experience.

1. It seems like certain institutions seem to be really on-the-ball about getting back to people - is this typical? Like, hearing after only 2 weeks or so? I was *shocked* to see MSU's decision come out so soon, especially considering I submitted my application basically at the deadline (January 2nd) and it wasn't even entirely complete until the 9th (Transcript Troubles, Vol. I)

2. Is it odd to not be e-mailed concerning an acceptance, or should I be waiting for the acceptance letter goodies in the snail mail? 

MORE TO COME

As I understand it, some programs are just better at it than others. It's a combination of how many reviewers on the committe, when the deadline was, how many spots they have to make, how easily they cut off people  or do they give every app a thorough look...So on and so forth.

Same for me as well. I wish Princeton wasn't one of the last schools to report...at least last year they announced mid-February, the previous two years it was closer to the end of the month.

It must be an Ivy thing; Columbia and Brown both seem to send out decisions in the last week of February.  Let's hope Princeton at least continues making earier announcements.

So, if we haven't heard anything one way or another from UW-Madison today does that definitely mean rejection/wait list?  My status on their website still says pending...

Could be, I'm in the same boat, just wait until tomorrow 7am for a further (and maybe final) update.