Welcome to the 2014-15 Cycle

Poli92

Subfield is IR, I've got a UK BA and MSc in relevant subjects, currently on a gap year doing relevant but not research-based work experience. I'd say my education/stats are strong, LoRs fine, research experience is a weak point, fit with Stanford fairly good. 

Congrats!!

I noticed that Vanderbilt and UW sent out interview requests to a few people (i think only 2-3 for each school).  At least this is all I can tell from the results board and I'm sure they have sent out more.  Is it customary to interview all prospective students or is this more dependent on a particular POI or if a they are unsure of a candidate?  I'm certain there is no consensus, but it would be interesting to hear your thoughts.   Congrats to the recent Standford admits!  That news must feel amazing.

Edited by letsgo2015

I'm in Europe so saw the email when I woke up, I can honestly say I've never woken up so quickly (or with so much shouting).

"Or with so much shouting" haha! Congrats!

Anyone else's academia.edu pages getting hit? I.e. I've see hits concentrated in certain cities where I have applied and not otherwise received hits. I will presume that in this process any news is good news short of rejection, so perhaps this is an indicator your file wasn't auto-rejected. Notably Stanford (where I never really had a shot anyway) has not looked!

So, let's talk funding: I'm unfamiliar with the details of funding. At programs that guarantee funding, does this mean you have a TA, no strings attached, or you're an RA? What are the pros/cons to each and how well do students taking on RAships or TAships perform? Is it desirable to have those?

At the only program I've been admitted to so far, (according to the student guidebook - I haven't received the official financial package offer yet) they fully fund 5+ years based on students doing both. At least two semesters of TA is required, the RA portion is less specific. I have a lot of research experience already so if I'm making assumptions, I'll do better during RA times than TA times but I've never taught so who knows. At the school I'm at now most of the graduate students seem to prefer RA appointments but due to funding it isn't as common in the first couple years before candidacy.

So basically what I'm saying is, I'm absolutely no help because I think it's different everywhere and really depends on a lot of circumstances. Ha.

Claiming the other Stanford admit. Previously emailed the chair of the adcom (had no idea he was on the adcom) for a replication dataset so I thought he was just giving that to me, but instead I saw a congratulations. My numerical stats (GPA and GRE) were nowhere near stellar so I thought this was a massive reach. I can't describe how freaking awesome this is. I hope y'all get some good news in the coming weeks!

Maybe it's just my little pea brain, but is anyone else getting confused by the numerous conversations taking place simultaneously on this thread?

Yep, especially since the psych forum creates a new thread for basically every possible topic. It's interesting to go back and forth.

Grad admin person says she expects all Stanford notifications by the end of tomorrow at the latest.

Congrats to all admits so far, let's hope tonight is luck for a few more folk

Thanks for checking, Sartori!

Where the heck are the UC's?  I know UCLA takes its time, but I was hoping we'd see some movement from Davis/Irvine/San Diego.

Hang in there everybody, we're a few days from February...

Yeah! Davis was this time last year.

Where the heck are the UC's?  I know UCLA takes its time, but I was hoping we'd see some movement from Davis/Irvine/San Diego.

Hang in there everybody, we're a few days from February...

I'm hoping we'll get UCLA, Berkeley, and UCSD next week, though San Diego will probably be the week after.

Edited by fakeusername

Grad admin person says she expects all Stanford notifications by the end of tomorrow at the latest.

Congrats to all admits so far, let's hope tonight is luck for a few more folk

As a great football (soccer) manager once said...."Squeaky bum time"

As a great football (soccer) manager once said...."Squeaky bum time"

Be absolute for death: thereby either life or death shall be the sweeter...

Am I right in thinking you're the nuclear physics currently at Harvard guy?