Welcome to the 2014-15 Cycle

Poli92

Alright, last year Duke was full of keeners and got the results n by the equivalent of tomorrow. However, in previous years it has taken much longer for results.  Odds?

Also, who is quitting their job....now?

I'll jump in the fray on this one. I'm with you on the job part. I think taking some time between undergrad and grad school to work and make some money is invaluable for helping one find out if they actually should go to grad school. But my 8-5 job has been especially insane these past few months and, with an admission in hand, only cemented my readiness to get out of the cubicle and back to campus. Cheers! 

I'll jump in the fray on this one. I'm with you on the job part. I think taking some time between undergrad and grad school to work and make some money is invaluable for helping one find out if they actually should go to grad school. But my 8-5 job has been especially insane these past few months and, with an admission in hand, only cemented my readiness to get out of the cubicle and back to campus. Cheers! 

hey that seems like something I can relate to. no acceptance yet, though, but when it happens these last few months are going to take for ever.

Seems like relatively few people on the forum applied to Harvard govt. Am I wrong? Who else applied and what subfield?

I did! not too optimistic about that one though

hey that seems like something I can relate to. no acceptance yet, though, but when it happens these last few months are going to take for ever.

I did! not too optimistic about that one though

Right. Is the consensus that H is the hardest of the CHYMPS to get into?

I couldn't imagine waiting until March...quite glad I didn't apply to Harvard. Had to be prodded to apply to Princeton, but there are a couple of people there who I would really enjoy working with on the off-chance I get in.

I think the wait becomes more tolerable if one has already been admitted to another program. The feeling of certainty pacifies certain consternation concerning this entire process (or rather ordeal). 

I would prefer to get at least one good offer before Harvard sends results. Otherwise waiting for March will be a little bit nervous. 

Agreed. 

Edit: Meaning that I would like to get a good offer. Though Harvard is not my top choice. 

Edited by Facade19

Yes to the Harvard crapshoot (HYPSBCCM). Pairwise comparisons of options are far less stressful, it is the next six years we're talking about here.

The blizzard may delay results from Northern unis I'm guessing. I live in the desert so can only imagine.

Saddened to realize that Duke decisions will not come out today probably. Last year they would have arrived today but the year before took a week longer.

On an unrelated note, anyone know of any good funding to study a language AT THE BEGINNER LEVEL? I'm going to need to learn Russian for my research I suspect and getting $ for those courses is ideal. It appears the area and regional study government grants are for advanced study :(

Saddened to realize that Duke decisions will not come out today probably. Last year they would have arrived today but the year before took a week longer.

On an unrelated note, anyone know of any good funding to study a language AT THE BEGINNER LEVEL? I'm going to need to learn Russian for my research I suspect and getting $ for those courses is ideal. It appears the area and regional study government grants are for advanced study :(

FLAS is great if the school is a FLAS-linked school. IU has a great summer program called SWSEEL that has the opportunity for FLAS funding.

Middlebury. They have grants. Also FLAS.

Days differ from year to year, as far as I noticed. Stanford mailed decisions in the second half of February previous year, but this year they explicitly promissed to mail decisions in the end of January or in the beginning of February. Waiting, however, is definitely annoying.