Welcome to the 2014-15 Cycle

Poli92

Where the heck are the UC's?  I know UCLA takes its time, but I was hoping we'd see some movement from Davis/Irvine/San Diego.

Hang in there everybody, we're a few days from February...

I just checked Irvine's website today and noticed that they pushed back their application deadline to Jan. 15th. Originally it was December 15th and I applied in early  november. I was expecting to hear by next week given the response time last year but their website now says mid-march.

All of the political science programs I applied to pushed their application deadline back by at least two weeks, some an entire month. Might be worth checking that same thing for places other than Irvine too.

On 1/29/2015 at 12:36 PM, deltaqsquared said:

Seeing that people are being interviewed for UWashington, I am assuming that if I don't get interviewed, I am kinda screwed again for this cycle?

I wouldn't worry too much - it seems to me that their interview process is pretty informal (including when they request one), and they may not even interview everyone they plan on admitting. Think positive, there's still plenty of time to go!

Be absolute for death: thereby either life or death shall be the sweeter...

Am I right in thinking you're the nuclear physics currently at Harvard guy?

haha, you got nuclear right but I'm definitely not (and never was) at Harvard!

I just checked Irvine's website today and noticed that they pushed back their application deadline to Jan. 15th. Originally it was December 15th and I applied in early  november. I was expecting to hear by next week given the response time last year but their website now says mid-march.

Well that's annoying, considering how much I hussled on the Irvine application.  What do we know about their department?  I like that it has access to the Institute For Mathematical Behavioral Sciences, but other than that it seems a bit...disorganized?

While I remain cautiously optimistic about the other decisions, it's nice to have the Davis admit. I'm making a major career shift and my plan B was to stick with what I'm doing now (which I do not enjoy). This decision has taken off a ton of pressure.

I'm sure I'm not the only one in that boat. Good luck to everyone else as the cycle continues!

Well that's annoying, considering how much I hussled on the Irvine application.  What do we know about their department?  I like that it has access to the Institute For Mathematical Behavioral Sciences, but other than that it seems a bit...disorganized?

Yeah, this is one of the reasons I decided not to apply there.

I wasn't sure if I was missing something, but for a program that talks so much about behavior and cognition on their website, it was pretty unclear to me why I would want to study it there, aside from the center your mentioned.

Congrats to all of the admits that have posted in the past 24 hrs!

So here's a readily applicable question: how does the notification process work?  It seems that there are waves of notifications, whether acceptances or rejections.  How is it that there are not larger waves, or more streamlined notifications at least?

I wouldn't worry too much - it seems to me that their interview process is pretty informal (including when they request one), and they may not even interview everyone they plan on admitting. Think positive, there's still plenty of time to go!

Thanks HopefulNeurotic. I try to keep my chin up as much as I can, but I am rather fatalistic this cycle. If I don't get in somewhere this cycle, I am starting to give up and go into the corporate sector.

Congrats!  :D

Thanks! I also want to note that I applied two years ago to the program and was rejected. So for those going through this and not getting the results you necessarily want at the moment, anything can happen and sometimes it just takes a bit of time. 

Will probably go back to lurking a bit more, but congrats to others who have received admits and really to everyone for applying. Just getting through the application process is harrowing and involves a lot of work! Best of luck to everyone!