2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dedi

How many interviews is a good number to go to?  I have 7 right now and I'm kinda expecting one more but I feel like that might be too many to attend.  None of them overlap, but my school is on a quarter system and quarters are only 10 weeks long so I would be missing a large amount of class.  Should I turn more down?  I don't have a strong ranking of the schools so its hard to pick one or two to not go to.

How many interviews is a good number to go to?  I have 7 right now and I'm kinda expecting one more but I feel like that might be too many to attend.  None of them overlap, but my school is on a quarter system and quarters are only 10 weeks long so I would be missing a large amount of class.  Should I turn more down?  I don't have a strong ranking of the schools so its hard to pick one or two to not go to.

I asked the same question in another topic, because I also had 8 invites and wasn't sure what to do about it. I was told to go to as many as I felt comfortable going to. If you have schools that you aren't that interested in, I would turn those down. I didn't pay attention to rankings so much as I did the research faculty and curriculum, and I decided to accept invitations to interview at 6 of my 8 schools. My interviews are consecutive weekends, except for the 1 day gap between OHSU and Iowa. However, I've already graduated so I don't have school to worry about, and my PI has encouraged me to take as many interviews as I want. Everyone's situation is different, you gotta make the best choice for you.

I am joining in because everyone here seems helpful and this will help a lot with the anxiety I am getting from this application process!!

Undergrad Institution: U of California School
Major(s): Molecular Biology
Minor(s): Bioinformatics
GPA in Major: 3.32
Overall GPA: 3.28 (GPA before fall quarter. went up to 3.3 a couple of days ago)
Position in Class: Average? Don't keep track because I'm not at the top
Type of Student: Female/minority

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 68th percentile
V: 67th percetile
W: 80th percentile
B: Did not take

Research Experience: Research with a very well known and respected professor at my school for 3 years (currently working here still). Have my own project. One summer REU.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Two year honors program( paid my tuition, gave me a stipend for doing research), Genetics research scholarship at my school for a couple quarters

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Partcipated in a club that helps minorities from underrepresented communities get involved with science

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Nope

Special Bonus Points: I am good at writing statements of purpose, I had four letter writers(all could talk about my research skills), one is very well known in a certain topic of molecular biology. I also was able to work closely with him so he knows me well. I am first in my family to even pursue a career in science. Plus I am an underrepresented female (Don't like bringing this up, but I guess it helps)

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Took advanced intro computer sciences series (I know how to program)

Applying to Where:

UW-Genome Sciences

UCLA -Biosciences Program

UCSD-Biomedical Sciences Program

UCSF-Tetrad

NYU Sackler

U Colorodo Denver- Biomedical Sciences (Medical campus)

UCB- Cell and Molecular Biology

Yale BBS

Rochester -Genetics, Genomics and Development

QUESTIONS: (please help)

I have received interviews from NYU Sackler and Yale. I was very shocked because my GPA is so low as well as my GRE. Does anybody have advice on how I can be successful at the interviews? I read advice forums and blogs on here, but I also wanted to know if I should be doing anything extra because I feel like a borderline student. I guess I have a case of low self confidence because I have been doubting my ability to get into grad school in the first place, but I want to be able to show the confidence I do have in my research skills at my interviews. Any extra advice you can think of is appreciated. I would be honored to be accepted to either of these schools.

I would encourage you to attend as many as you think you can manage. For me, the interviews unexpectedly turned out to have a huge impact on how I perceived the programs, and they could help you rank your schools more strongly. I received two of my interview invitations in late February/early March, and I was exhausted from already attending several interviews and missing a lot of class. I ultimately decided to attend those interviews because I reasoned I might regret not giving a program a chance, but I did not think I would regret missing a few more days of class. In the end, those last two interviews did not change my impression of the programs, but I am still definitely glad that I went.

QUESTIONS: (please help)

I have received interviews from NYU Sackler and Yale. I was very shocked because my GPA is so low as well as my GRE. Does anybody have advice on how I can be successful at the interviews? I read advice forums and blogs on here, but I also wanted to know if I should be doing anything extra because I feel like a borderline student. I guess I have a case of low self confidence because I have been doubting my ability to get into grad school in the first place, but I want to be able to show the confidence I do have in my research skills at my interviews. Any extra advice you can think of is appreciated. I would be honored to be accepted to either of these schools.

At the interview stage, as I've heard, the numbers game isn't as prominent. It's about fit. Just be yourself, relax, and things will fall where they fall. You want to leave a good impression, yet you don't want to be fake. Also, you are evaluating the program as much as they school is evaluating you. You're going to be there for the next 5-6 years; you can afford to be a little picky.

I don't think you need to worry about doing anything extra because I think that you're at an even playing field at this point.

Everyone has their confidence boosters--I'd suggest you find something to at least distract you in between interviews. I usually play some 60's tunes and I'm set to go.

Looking to apply for MS in Electrical Engineering with concentration in computer networks

Here are my stats

Institution: McGill University

cGPA: 3.41

Last two years: 3.52

Work experience: One year internship at BlackBerry

Research experience: None

LORs: Should get recommendations from 3 profs I took courses with

I want to apply to cornell, columbia, waterloo. Looking for other schools with strong computer networks research facility. Any suggestions/ comments on my chances would be highly appreciated.

Looking to apply for MS in Electrical Engineering with concentration in computer networks

Here are my stats

Institution: McGill University

cGPA: 3.41

Last two years: 3.52

Work experience: One year internship at BlackBerry

Research experience: None

LORs: Should get recommendations from 3 profs I took courses with

I want to apply to cornell, columbia, waterloo. Looking for other schools with strong computer networks research facility. Any suggestions/ comments on my chances would be highly appreciated.

I see you have joined the forum of hell too dost :P

I think Master's has a different forum though, this is primarily for PhD in Biological Sciences :)

Does anyone know how many students Weill Cornell accepts after interviews? Is it inappropriate to ask the program coordinator such things?

I talked to them today, and they said that 1/3rd of the interviewed applicants are accepted.

Woke up and got an invite from Penn State BMMB! Interview is on Feb. 12-14, which conflicts with another interview I already accepted. I only have one more [interview] decision to anticipate! Hopefully it's good news!

Edited by Ragneo

Woke up and got an invite from Penn State BMMB! Interview is on Feb. 12-14, which conflicts with another interview I already accepted. I only have one more [interview] decision to anticipate! Hopefully it's good news!

I'm almost positive we're having another interview weekend Feb 27th weekend. PM me if you have any questions!

Edited by ERR_Alpha

Hello! First time posting. Just curious, is anyone else here is a current or former community college transfer student?

I am. I went to community college (8 years after high school) before transferring to the small state school that I am currently attending.

I'm almost positive we're having another interview weekend Feb 27th weekend. PM me if you have any questions!

Aww mannn. I have another one scheduled that weekend too. I was actually very excited about some of the faculty there: I might PM you about them though! Thanks!

Edited by Ragneo

Great!

I'm glad to see other transfer students successfully getting interviews at good programs.

My current PI went to a community college for the first 2 years of undergrad and then an unknown school for the rest of undergrad and ended up a top 10 grad school in his field. He's in his late 30s so it wasn't that long ago. I don't think that transfer students are a disadvantage at all, as long as you did well at the university after transferring and found research opportunities and all.

Hi. I am new to thegradcafe but i have been browsing for awhile.

I have a question about interviews, i couldn't find the answer in the forums. I have interviews at 3 immunology programs in january and february.

I am deaf. Not all my life. Meningitis in early teens. Applications did not ask me for this information.

so do i need to tell somebody. I don't want to be discriminated.

i can lipread well and i can still talk but not like i used to when i could hear myself. maybe i can hide it.

i have a translator who helps me but i don't think she gets to come to interviews. please what do i do

I have a question about interviews, i couldn't find the answer in the forums. I have interviews at 3 immunology programs in january and february.

I am deaf. Not all my life. Meningitis in early teens. Applications did not ask me for this information.

i can lipread well and i can still talk but not like i used to when i could hear myself. maybe i can hide it.

i have a translator who helps me but i don't think she gets to come to interviews. please what do i do

Yes, you should tell them! Try asking the coordinator if they can make arrangements to bring your translator along (and ask your translator too!) You want to be comfortable when you go to these interviews. Plus, if you're going to be interviewing with any future PIs, you want to be as upfront with them as possible.

Best of luck!

Also, if anybody discriminates you for being deaf, is that really a place where you want to be? Just something to think about. I know discrimination happens everywhere, but there are good people out there!

Edited by Ragneo

I agree that you should be able to bring your translator. I would definitely ask about this!

Hello! First time posting. Just curious, is anyone else here is a current or former community college transfer student?

I am one as well.  Hands down the best educational experience I have had to date.  

I know this has undoubtedly been said before, but I tried to search for it and had trouble...

Does anyone have any advice on what to say in an email declining an interview invitation? Specifically, I'm declining the interview, but I'd like to ask if a Skype interview might be possible. I feel awkward and guilty because it will likely be clear that I'm prioritizing another school over them, but I still do like their program so I would love to get a Skype interview...but I also know they may just deny that request. 

Any help would be appreciated. I always obsess over what to say for these things. Thank you!

(Coordinator),

I would like to thank the efforts that you and the program put into reviewing my application, but I will be unable to fully attend the Feb 3-4 interview scheduled and I would like to withdraw my application from the University of Washington. Again, thank you for your time and I wish you all the best with the upcoming interviews.

All the best,

(me)

Hi X,

I just checked on my (school) application online and I saw that there are two interview dates available, a and b.

I was invited to interview at the a weekend, and I accepted the invite because I thought it was the only weekend available. However, I actually have the last two weeks of February off from work, so the February weekend would work much better for me. If it wouldn't be too much trouble, could I possibly attend the b interview instead? 

Thank you,
(me)

Two situations and the emails I used.

The first is my decline to invite at UW. The second was my attempt to move a school's interview to another date. I knew that there were two weekends available, but in your case you could ask about a Skype interview in place of the second weekend I mentioned. I don't know if they bought the work excuse, but they did accommodate me.

Edited by pasteltomato