2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dedi

The snow...the ice...the constant closing of UNC CH as a result....

The struggle is real.

As a side note, I have a question. I logged into my UGA app for the first time since receiving an acceptance and under status it says "applicant has accepted admissions offer". First of all, I haven't in any way. Do you guys think this is just the way they put it in the system to hold the spot? Or should I ask them? I don't want to risk them thinking I'm rejecting their offer; I just haven't decided--and if GT and UNC say no, I will be taking it. Any ideas?

The snow...the ice...the constant closing of UNC CH as a result....

The struggle is real.

As a side note, I have a question. I logged into my UGA app for the first time since receiving an acceptance and under status it says "applicant has accepted admissions offer". First of all, I haven't in any way. Do you guys think this is just the way they put it in the system to hold the spot? Or should I ask them? I don't want to risk them thinking I'm rejecting their offer; I just haven't decided--and if GT and UNC say no, I will be taking it. Any ideas?

I hear ya on the snow and the ice. I had the pleasure of driving from Southern Pines to NC State this morning bc classes were cancelled but the University wasn't closed for employees. My poor Fiat... And my nerves are shot lol

I hear ya on the snow and the ice. I had the pleasure of driving from Southern Pines to NC State this morning bc classes were cancelled but the University wasn't closed for employees. My poor Fiat... And my nerves are shot lol

That's crazy! Duke and UNC are both closed for everyone! Glad you made it safe. We didn't get any this time but Tuesday was bad.

Hell is waiting for responses from grad programs.

BiochemMom, is there an Admissions Coordinator/someone similar that you can email with your question? I directed a similar question to the Admissions Coordinator at one of my programs, and she was very helpful in answering my query.

I have a question to those who already know which school they are attending. Did you officially accept the acceptance before you were done interviewing with all your programs?

I had an interview after I had already accepted to attend Emory, and I accepted in spite of this mostly because the school I was interviewing with after wasn't that highly ranked for me compared to Emory. I also clicked with the students as well as fellow interviewees really well at Emory, COL was going to be much lower in comparison, and funding is guaranteed.

A grad student in the lab I worked in during undergrad gave me really good advice when it comes to choosing schools: that science is science wherever you go, and you can do good science wherever (slightly exaggerated, especially if the school doesn't have funding or resources (people, equipment, etc) to let you do good science), but if you're stuck between a lab whose research you find very interesting and a lab you know you would get along with very well, she said she'd choose the people over the science. There are a lot of factors that go into choosing a grad school, but at the heart of it, I think it's just whether or not you're a good fit for the school and if the school fits well with you. Just perspective from someone who chose to accept to attend a program before finishing all her interviews :)

Edited by amertume

I had an interview after I had already accepted to attend Emory, and I accepted in spite of this mostly because the school I was interviewing with after wasn't that highly ranked for me compared to Emory. I also clicked with the students as well as fellow interviewees really well at Emory, COL was going to be much lower in comparison, and funding is guaranteed.

A grad student in the lab I worked in during undergrad gave me really good advice when it comes to choosing schools: that science is science wherever you go, and you can do good science wherever (slightly exaggerated, especially if the school doesn't have funding or resources (people, equipment, etc) to let you do good science), but if you're stuck between a lab whose research you find very interesting and a lab you know you would get along with very well, she said she'd choose the people over the science. There are a lot of factors that go into choosing a grad school, but at the heart of it, I think it's just whether or not you're a good fit for the school and if the school fits well with you. Just perspective from someone who chose to accept to attend a program before finishing all her interviews :)

Hmm, I've been thinking alot about that since it's been really hard to eliminate schools and decide where I want to go since the science is great at all the schools I've applied to. I will definitely add this to my pros/cons list now. It's a good perspective to have. 

Although to follow up, what would you do if you liked the environment at multiple places? 

Great advice, amertume - thanks!

Hmm, I've been thinking alot about that since it's been really hard to eliminate schools and decide where I want to go since the science is great at all the schools I've applied to. I will definitely add this to my pros/cons list now. It's a good perspective to have. 

Although to follow up, what would you do if you liked the environment at multiple places? 

Where did you feel that the fit with the faculty/students/location/overall ambience of the school was the best? This is what I am focusing on, as all of the places I have been accepted to have great research in my subfield.

Edited by blinchik

Sooo a really amazing professor famous in biophysics from UFL is moving to UGA and is actively recruiting me. Ahhh maybe UGA isn't my back up school now. And my top POI at UNC emailed me to find out if I'd heard from the adcom yet and to make sure I still wanted to work with him. AND my poi at Ga Tech did the same thing (and I hadn't emailed her just named her in my app and I haven't heard from them yet)

Why is this so dang hard!? It was so clear cut when I first applied everywhere!

blinchik can I ask what you thought about UAB? It was definitely a huge pleasant surprise for me. 

BiochemMom- Congrats! Sounds like a very good problem to be having! I have also been in contact with UNC this week so I don't know if faculty are just communicating at home or if the university is open.. I actually got my acceptance this week, but a different track within BBSP. I would guess at Ga Tech since they don't have interviews, they want to know a potential adviser is available before they accept anyone

Edited by GABA-daba-doo

blinchik can I ask what you thought about UAB? It was definitely a huge pleasant surprise for me.

BiochemMom- Congrats! Sounds like a very good problem to be having! I have also been in contact with UNC this week so I don't know if faculty are just communicating at home or if the university is open.. I actually got my acceptance this week, but a different track within BBSP. I would guess at Ga Tech since they don't have interviews, they want to know a potential adviser is available before they accept anyone

neuro? I saw some acceptances from that track. I'm pursuing the biochemistry and biophysics track. What weekend did you interview? Edited by BiochemMom

Yes, I am interested in the neurobiology track... and the weekend I was there was definitely a "neuro" interest weekend, but I know there were others as well. I was there February 13-14 and I know they will still be sending out acceptances from that weekend (they only have one more interview weekend, so I'd guess most offers come out next week or the week after :))

Yes, I am interested in the neurobiology track... and the weekend I was there was definitely a "neuro" interest weekend, but I know there were others as well. I was there February 13-14 and I know they will still be sending out acceptances from that weekend (they only have one more interview weekend, so I'd guess most offers come out next week or the week after :))

Okay we interviewed same weekend. They don't have enough people interested in biophysics to have our own weekend so we interviewed randomly and that was my weekend. Ahhh I really want to get in!

Where did you feel that the fit with the faculty/students/location/overall ambience of the school was the best? This is what I am focusing on, as all of the places I have been accepted to have great research in my subfield.

Hmm, I really liked a few places the most so I guess that's where I'm starting from. I felt really comfortable in all the schools with an urban environment, I got along well with the students at all the schools I went to, some more than others though so I guess that's what you and amertume were talking about right? 

I actually am visiting next weekend - I am kind of an odd case where I said that I couldn't visit due to my inability to take more time off of classes (I missed 50% of my physics classes prior to an exam…), and I did a Skype interview and was accepted shortly after. Now that I've survived the first period of exams, I have enough flexibility to go down there. I'd love to PM you after I visit, if you're cool with that!

Edited by blinchik

Hmm, I really liked a few places the most so I guess that's where I'm starting from. I felt really comfortable in all the schools with an urban environment, I got along well with the students at all the schools I went to, some more than others though so I guess that's what you and amertume were talking about right? 

I would go with your "gut," if you can quantify that gut feeling to some extent - I think if you really review the weekends carefully, you'll find that one fit better for you than the others. I think that going back and visiting your top school choices without the interview weekend set-up could also help significantly with the decision-making process.

Has anybody heard back from ASU neuro or Rosalind Franklin BMS?

I was accepted to Rosalind Franklin and a girl in a different lab at my university was accepted at Arizona as of this week!

I did end up liking multiple programs, and across the board, they all had very similar pros - good funding, interesting research, smart people, interesting cities and things to do outside of lab, livable stipend, etc. But I think what ended up doing it for me were the people and the personalities I could see myself with over 5-7 years as well as personalities I knew I wanted to be surrounded with (the students at each place were pretty different!) I think I also kept in mind what kind of prospects I wanted for job choices after PhD as well, and the projects and research done at one would clearly help me achieve those goals better/faster/more efficiently. I don't know if this is actually someone that people think is important to keep in mind though, haha

Great advice, amertume - thanks!

No probz :)

Congratulations, notsaxophones! That must be pretty exciting to be accepted to every program you applied to. I hope your decision-making process goes well!

Has anyone heard anything from the University of Vermont biology program? There's only one entry for it in the Results survey that I can remember seeing, and that's from ages ago (relatively speaking).

Hey GABA I was lurking your conversation and I too interviewed at UAB and I was seriously impressed. What theme did you interview for?

Hey GABA I was lurking your conversation and I too interviewed at UAB and I was seriously impressed. What theme did you interview for?

I was there for neuroscience theme. I am interested in glia work and UAB is the only school in the country that has a designated glia center which is why I applied.. but I think they have been the most accommodating of any of my interviews! The students, the faculty, all of it was awesome. Not to mention the cost of living, guaranteed support and excellent student outcomes. I never thought I would live in Alabama, but am seriously considering it!

Which program were you there for?

Has anyone heard anything from the University of Vermont biology program? There's only one entry for it in the Results survey that I can remember seeing, and that's from ages ago (relatively speaking).

Have you been in touch with a PI? The biology program is very PI centered and I believe that you need to establish a relationship with a professor seeking out a graduate student in order to get accepted as they don't do rotations. So, if you don't know anything yet I'd contact that PI asking what they know about your application.