MFA 2015 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

Hey everyone. I know it's late but I wanted to post this because there has been a lot of talk here about Hunter not giving any $.

Yesterday I received a scholarship that is two years full ride at in state tuition rates. They also offer supplemental funding outside of financial aid.

Not about me boasting I just want to spread the word...when it comes to hunter never offering $ ... Don't believe the hype!

This information is very important. I have two questions. Instate or out of state? Had you accepted Hunter or held back your acceptance?

Hey everyone. I know it's late but I wanted to post this because there has been a lot of talk here about Hunter not giving any $.

Yesterday I received a scholarship that is two years full ride at in state tuition rates. They also offer supplemental funding outside of financial aid.

Not about me boasting I just want to spread the word...when it comes to hunter never offering $ ... Don't believe the hype!

Congrats! So awesome for you. Thanks for sharing that info for future peeps :)

That is such great news!! Congratulations. Is it a specific scholarship? Are you going in the Fall or Spring?

This information is very important. I have two questions. Instate or out of state? Had you accepted Hunter or held back your acceptance?

Yes, I did accept their offer for admission.  It must be weird for people that are juggling multiple offers be cause they seem to wait really late to let you know about your funding or financial aid package.

That is such great news!! Congratulations. Is it a specific scholarship? Are you going in the Fall or Spring?

Yes, it was a scholarship from the Scholarship & welfare fund.  It's funded by Alumni.  I will be attending in the fall.

Thanks so much for sharing this info! I sent in my commitment deposit over the weekend so hopefully I find out more info soon.

Besides submitting commitment deposit did you send other info or forms besides FAFSA?

Were you accepted for Fall or Spring?

I emailed and they said that all the funds were already announced to the recipients. 

I was accepte for spring--so maybe there is still a chance of getting some money? Thoughts? I have not accepted yet, but would be nice to know funding before making the decision.

Edited by itscontents

Anyone accepted to USC Roski actually going? Despite the fact I had told them their new financial offer wouldn't work for me (waitlisted) , they still sent me a letter of acceptance. I am really surprised by what has been happening with Roski and can't even imagine the chaos they are going though, yet I wonder if it would have been best for them not to have had an application process this year.

At first Frances Stark's departure and the Dr Dre thing didn't bother me much, but then the whole application process became really erratic and I believe this could really make people who applied there upset, since the program seems to be completely different. Any opinions?

I just hope future candidates have the chance to be more informed about all this.

I completely agree. I felt pretty jerked around when I found out about all of the changes because at least if I had been rejected and they still had everything they were advertising throughout the application process (full funding, health benefits, stipend, faculty, etc) then fair enough - I knew it was a longshot they only accept 8 people yadda yadda.  BUT to go through that gruelling process and make it to the fucking interview and IN THE INTERVIEW have the floor ripped out from under you in being told that they actually don't have any of that stuff any more - I felt totally scammed and on top of that I am now out of $100 for a program that I wouldn't have applied to had they made things more clear through the application process. They offered me a spot on the waitlist too and I opted out.

Yup I thought the same. It seems slightly unethical.

Hi guys,  I totally feel for you too.  

One of the reasons your interviews may have felt hectic were because USC decided to change the way the candidates are selected, at least for this year. Normally, all the mfa faculty would conduct the interviews but this year admin decided they would select/interview some folks and only some faculty selected/interviewed candidates.  All in all, you can imagine why it may have felt weird.  

I tentatively said yes and submitted my deposit, but I'm actually waiting to see how the program settles down this spring.  I think it's absolutely insane that the school hasn't decided which faculty will be there next year, the available funding and TAships. They refuse to answer any questions related to this topic. It's safe to say all of this has nothing to do with the faculty, rather it's these huge shifts in admin, specifically the new Dean's vision.  Pretty bat shit crazy BUT the school remains to have really good resources that other programs do not offer, like a 25k teaching fellowship for one recent alum, or a 5k travel grant for a recent alum to research, develop, and exhibit new work.  TAships that waive your tuition completely and offer a 11k stipend are still available but they will be more competitive. It might be that this year isn't the right year to go and that I apply again next year or focus on another school.  

I declined Bard because it wasn't the right time to leave due to family matters, but it's a school that will be at the top of my list if USC does not pan out. 

Just got off the waitlist at RISD and going.

Pretty thrilled :)

Yay! Congrats!

I see that you came down to the same decision as me... How did you decide RISD over SAIC?

I ended up choosing RISD over SAIC as well a week or so ago, but I wanted to see your take on it. My reasons were that RISD is much smaller, I prefer the artwork at RISD, and I got more money from RISD. I'm over the moon about starting this fall there. :) (for sculpture for me)

Also- I have a friend of a friend that is in your same group (RISD painting) and is coming in the same year as you.

Oh, and you should see if you can haggle your financial package at all and get some extra mullah!

Edited by Leahdog

So this is a little off-topic, but I have just accepted an offer for a PhD in Anthropology at Columbia, starting this autumn.

Any Columbia MFAs interested in buddying up for university accommodation? The registration form permits named flatmate preferences.

While leaving this to chance could be fun, why not try to find someone likeminded in advance via the internets? PM me if you're game.

Congrats everyone on all the awesome acceptances.

After all the deliberating, I decided to accept the offer from CMU today. I'm going to Carnegie Mellon!

I'm sure CMU will be awesome :) 

Yay! Congrats!

I see that you came down to the same decision as me... How did you decide RISD over SAIC?

I ended up choosing RISD over SAIC as well a week or so ago, but I wanted to see your take on it. My reasons were that RISD is much smaller, I prefer the artwork at RISD, and I got more money from RISD. I'm over the moon about starting this fall there. :) (for sculpture for me)

Also- I have a friend of a friend that is in your same group (RISD painting) and is coming in the same year as you.

Oh, and you should see if you can haggle your financial package at all and get some extra mullah!

The structure, size, and faculty drew me to risd. The studios are also way better (and you have access all summer in between 1st and 2nd year). Also the students I spoke with in the program seemed way more...focused (may not be the best choice of words, but it is what immediately comes to mind) and the general attitude about the program was more what i was looking for. Saic is a huge school, and the ta opportunities arent built into the program in the way that they are at risd. And, while i realize its frivolous and silly, saic doesnt have grades (haha, i feel ridiculous even saying that, but it was a turnoff). That being said, there were some faculty at saic that i was super excited about, and the director of the painting program is awesome.

Also risd offered a fellowship/assistantship and saic was...extremely thrifty on their end.

Edited by Derpderpderp

Has anyone else heard absolutely nothing from SAIC? I've assumed rejection and twice emailed for clarification and received no responses to my emails. Before completing my application, emails replies were sent promptly. Curious!