2015 Canadian SLP Thread!

Future Dal students - the 2nd year class will be making a Facebook group for you early in the summer, with lots of information and current students in it! :) You'll receive info about it in your email. Congrats! 

Hi, 

I stumbled across this thread last night and I had a few questions to ask. I'm currently a first year psychology student at UofT thinking of pursuing SLP as a future career. I'm worried about gaining enough volunteer/work experience and was wondering, how much do you think is enough? Over the next few years I was thinking of doing a work study placement in a children's development research lab at my school as well as volunteering in various nursing homes, and working with children in a school setting. Is it possible to shadow a current SLP and work with them? And should I get started on getting experience now or later on in my 2nd/3rd year of school?

Thanks so much and good luck to everyone!

Hey! I'm currently a student at UofT who went through the same process as you! If you want more info about UofT opportunities, let me know and I can point you in the right direction. 

nope.. no idea when they will be calling :( i think they are taking their sweet time :P 

Edited by nins

I am worried about U of T though because their letter said to let them know if we won't be reachable after May 2nd... so maybe they wont call until after that day! That would be awful because if we get into Western off the list, we only have until the 29th to see if we get another offer before the acceptance becomes firm!

I am worried about U of T though because their letter said to let them know if we won't be reachable after May 2nd... so maybe they wont call until after that day! That would be awful because if we get into Western off the list, we only have until the 29th to see if we get another offer before the acceptance becomes firm!

I really hope that they don't wait that long! How did you hear that we would have until the 29th??

Well.. i just made an assumption about when U of T would call just based on what their waitlist letter said. April 29th.. I know that because I emailed ORPAS a few months ago and asked them what would happen for different scenarios. They told me we would have until April 29th to wait for another offer until your acceptance becomes confirmed.

Hi! That would be great, thank you :)

Are you in your undergrad, masters, or have you finished school? x

I just wrapped up my Undergrad at UofT, in Psych Major, Linguistics and Theatre Minors. 

Classes to look out for, which will really boost your application are: 

Research and Service in Communication Disorders - You'll wrack in a lot of volunteer hours in this one, and the work load is reasonable. You'll get to network with a lot of similar minded applicants. 

Adult Language Disorders

Child Language Disorders

Start up on getting volunteer experience early if you can, and look in unusual places. UofT likes to see that you have experience with both adult and child populations. I received personal messages from profs from Western and McGill this year, because of the volunteering I've done in voice clinics (which is a smaller SLP specialty). Even consider emailing a researcher in the SLP department who's research you like, friends of mine have volunteered in the past, and say it's been a really valuable experience. 

Hey Everyone, the first Student Spotlight is up on the website, featuring a student who was accepted for SLP at the University of Alberta this fall. 

If you have been accepted to a Canadian SLP program this year or you are a current student, we would love to feature you on CanadianSLP.com! Feel free to email me: danielle@canadianslp.com if you are interested in sharing your profile to help other future SLP students :) 

Hi everyone, I applied to UofT and Western this year and didn't get in.....just wondering if some of the people who got in would be willing to share their grades/experience? I've had a look through some of the comments for ideas to boost my application but any other help would be awesome!!

My sub GPA is 3.81- i have a placement in speech path from my undergrad and some volunteer hours but could definitely do some more with other populations. I have also been looking into the one year program at Brock in Speech and Language to get some of the pre-reqs for the other universities...anyone with experience in this program?

Hi everyone, I applied to UofT and Western this year and didn't get in.....just wondering if some of the people who got in would be willing to share their grades/experience? I've had a look through some of the comments for ideas to boost my application but any other help would be awesome!!

My sub GPA is 3.81- i have a placement in speech path from my undergrad and some volunteer hours but could definitely do some more with other populations. I have also been looking into the one year program at Brock in Speech and Language to get some of the pre-reqs for the other universities...anyone with experience in this program?

You didnt even get waitlisted? I cant believe that.. I think you have a pretty solid gpa. I have a friend who did the certificate at Brock after she didnt get in anywhere and the next year when she reapplied, she got into U of T. I think it definitely would look good on your application.

My U of A Beartracks still says pending review...anyone else? I've pretty much concluded that that means I'm not in, but just wondering if anyone else was in my boat? 

Edited by Minnie7

My U of A Beartracks still says pending review...anyone else? I've pretty much concluded that that means I'm not in, but just wondering if anyone else was in my boat?

Yep mine says that too! I really wonder when they will contact us with any news. I assume I've been rejected as well but why wait so long to let us know?

Hey guys,

I just wanted to let you know that my reference told me that a girl she knows in Saskatchewan got a rejection from U of A a few days to a week ago. I'm not sure if it was a letter or an email. I still haven't received anything either, kind of weird.