2015 Canadian SLP Thread!

Hi everyone,

I'm applying to both the SLP and Audiology program at UWO. Does anyone know if this will put me at a disadvantage? I can see it might be an issue where the admissions committee will feel that you are not truly dedicated to one field, and thus give someone else who only applied for SLP priority. Thanks for any insight you guys may have!

Hi everyone,

I'm applying to both the SLP and Audiology program at UWO. Does anyone know if this will put me at a disadvantage? I can see it might be an issue where the admissions committee will feel that you are not truly dedicated to one field, and thus give someone else who only applied for SLP priority. Thanks for any insight you guys may have!

I think the hardest part would be to write two different but equally genuine letters of intent about how you dediced to pursue either profession. They are very different. I agree that it would seem strange to a reviewing committee assuming they saw both - not sure this would be the case but I guess they do fall into the same department. Edited by speechful11

Hello, Everyone!

I am having a bit of a dilemma about applying to SLP this year. I applied last year (UWO, U of T, McGill and Dal) and did not get accepted. I began a graduate certificate in Autism and Behavioural Sciences with the intention of reapplying to SLP this year, however I am extremely discouraged. I only have two things to add to my application this year : my new graduate certificate (which they barely look at) and paid work experience in a speech and audiology clinic this summer. 

I honestly am unsure if this will help me enough to get in this round and I don't know if it is worth the time/effort and money of applying again only to be rejected. I entered university with the goal of becoming an SLP in mind but it just seems like it won't happen. 

If you have applied multiple times how have you had the motivation to keep at it and not get discouraged? 

Hello, Everyone!

I am having a bit of a dilemma about applying to SLP this year. I applied last year (UWO, U of T, McGill and Dal) and did not get accepted. I began a graduate certificate in Autism and Behavioural Sciences with the intention of reapplying to SLP this year, however I am extremely discouraged. I only have two things to add to my application this year : my new graduate certificate (which they barely look at) and paid work experience in a speech and audiology clinic this summer.

I honestly am unsure if this will help me enough to get in this round and I don't know if it is worth the time/effort and money of applying again only to be rejected. I entered university with the goal of becoming an SLP in mind but it just seems like it won't happen.

If you have applied multiple times how have you had the motivation to keep at it and not get discouraged?

Hi! I have not applied before this year but I think your experience in the clinic will be looked at. How is your GPA? That seems to be the main aspect of any application. What a lot of people do when they don't get in is re-do courses where they did not do well. I think it is always worth applying. Asking for feedback on why you didn't get accepted last year may help you make a decision. I have heard of people being told to bring up a specific grade if they wished to re-apply. I hope that helps! Edited by speechful11

Hi! I have not applied before this year but I think your experience in the clinic will be looked at. How is your GPA? That seems to be the main aspect of any application. What a lot of people do when they don't get in is re-do courses where they did not do well. I think it is always worth applying. Asking for feedback on why you didn't get accepted last year may help you make a decision. I have heard of people being told to bring up a specific grade if they wished to re-apply. I hope that helps!

Hi!

My cumulative GPA for my whole undergrad is 3.7. I say cumulative because the majority of my grades are higher but one term where I took an increased course load brought it down slightly, haha! Poor life choices. :P 

I have never asked for feedback about my application. I was just kind of crushed and didn't want to hear about it. Is it possible to still ask now? It isn't too late? Does anyone know if they keep info like that? Thanks!

Hi everyone,

They are two separate programs.  I don't see how that will be a problem.  The only thing that i see happening is if an SLP professor is part of the Audiology committee and vice versa since SLP students take audiology classes and Audiology Students take Speech classes.  But they are separate applications, and different reviewers.  And that will mean if that professor will even remember that you applied for SLP or Aud as well.

Hi!

My cumulative GPA for my whole undergrad is 3.7. I say cumulative because the majority of my grades are higher but one term where I took an increased course load brought it down slightly, haha! Poor life choices. :P

I have never asked for feedback about my application. I was just kind of crushed and didn't want to hear about it. Is it possible to still ask now? It isn't too late? Does anyone know if they keep info like that? Thanks!

I don't think cumulative is as important as subGPA (last two years). If that is also around 3.7 I think you have a pretty good chance as that is definitely a competitive GPA!

I am not sure if they do still keep those records but worth a try.

Edited by speechful11

Has anyone who have applied to McGill before knows whether the unofficial transcript has to be uploaded or mailed to the school?  

Last year I just uploaded my unofficial transcripts online. I think you have to upload it!

Last year I just uploaded my unofficial transcripts online. I think you have to upload it!

Do you know if they can they be uploaded from now or should we wait until courses ending in December have been added? I would rather upload it immediately to be on the safe side, but wonder if I need to wait.

Do you know if they can they be uploaded from now or should we wait until courses ending in December have been added? I would rather upload it immediately to be on the safe side, but wonder if I need to wait.

I waited until the end of December to upload my transcripts but I'm sure you can do either... they will just need another copy of your most recent marks at some point later on. It wouldn't hurt to contact them though to see what they recommend. 

I don't think that is the case. Last year's cut off was about 3.6 (and I think 3.3 the year before that?). I also know from speaking to someone in the admissions committee that people with less that 3.6 have been accepted (not sure how much lower than 3.6 but it has happened). I am also not sure under what circumstances.

Really? If this is true it'll give me a boost. I spoke to someone who had between 3.65, and 3 years worth of experience in different populations and they didn't get in. And 4.0 in all the pre requisites. He said it was because he didn't have 3.7. I think they should do what someone else suggested, and put the average of their accepted applicants!

Really? If this is true it'll give me a boost. I spoke to someone who had between 3.65, and 3 years worth of experience in different populations and they didn't get in. And 4.0 in all the pre requisites. He said it was because he didn't have 3.7. I think they should do what someone else suggested, and put the average of their accepted applicants!

Maybe that year was particularly competitive! Also, it would be hard to get A+ in all pre-req's! That sounds like a serious accomplishment plus the experience. Maybe his references were not good or he didn't have enough research experience? It's really hard to say. I don't think being that little below a 3.7 would really be that big a deal. Edited by speechful11

Hello, Everyone!

Hi Meggle,

This will be my second year applying. I applied in 2013, during my fourth year of undergrad and I obviously did not get in. Looking back, I know I really did not have a chance because I knew nothing about the field and my marks werent amazing enough to get away with just the minimum volunteering. I decided to take a year to work on my application and get a full time job so I can save some money for when I do get in.

What ive done since I have applied:

I took on like 10 different volunteer positions - I wanted to get as much experience as possible in many different settings. At the information sessions I went to, they said that they really like seeing applicants who have a wide variety of SLP experiences. I honestly got involved in all aspects of the field! (And now that I have done it, I am so glad I have because I have learned so much from my experiences and I know I will have an advantage during my placements. It has also really proven to me that SLP is something that I want to do!)

I networked - I honestly tried to get into contact with as many different SLPs as possible, to get feedback from them about the field, what they liked, disliked etc. I also contacted several students who were currently in the program and got a better idea of what the program was like.

I boosted my GPA to 3.79/3.8 - I took courses at Athabasca and worked my butt off to try and get 4.0 in the majority of all the additional courses I took. (Your GPA already sounds quite high so this does not sound as necessary or you.)

I got new clinical references - when I first applied, I used a SLP who honestly was not very pleasant and I truly think she was not happy with her job (She ended up leaving her job about three months after). I dont think she wrote me a fantastic reference. Since then, I have obtained two other references from SLPs who I have become very close with and who I am confident will write me a great reference.

Honestly, I do get discouraged sometimes and I am so anxious that I will not get in, even after all that I have tried to do.. however, I know that if I do not get in this year, I will be applying again the year after (third time is the charm ;)). If SLP is something you really want to do, which it does sound like in your case, then try to be positive and strive harder to be the best you can be. In the end, after all your efforts, you will become a more well-rounded person, regardless of if you got in or not.

If you do not feel you are ready to apply, then take another year to keep working on your application.. I know I wasn't ready last application season. Good luck! I really do hope all of us get in, because it is obvious how badly we want this!

Edited by nins

Maybe that year was particularly competitive! Also, it would be hard to get A+ in all pre-req's! That sounds like a serious accomplishment plus the experience. Maybe his references were not good or he didn't have enough research experience? It's really hard to say. I don't think being that little below a 3.7 would really be that big a deal.

Perhaps! but from all I've heard and the SLP's I've spoken to who went or got rejected from U of T, 3.7 is the minimum, atleast to get accepted right away, not waitlisted. It could be just the ones I've spoken to though.

Hello, Everyone!

I think it's extremely normal and pretty expected to get a bit discouraged once you've already applied and didn't get in. I think a lot of people are in this position though.

I applied when I was finishing my 4th year off my undergrad and like someone else said above, I'm not surprised I didn't get in either. My GPA was definitely not competitive enough (it was around 3.4 I believe). Even though I applied with good research experience and volunteer experience, my GPA and bad GRE scores definitely held me back.

To improve my application I started a Masters in Child Language Acquisition and continued volunteering in different locations.

I improved my GPA  (to around 3.6) and got all A's in my graduate courses (which are not always calculated in your GPA, but still make a difference when they are assessing your transcript).

I redid a Stats course, got a position as the Lab Manager at a Language Acquisition Lab, and took a position as a TA for profs in the linguistics department.

I'm also going to be rewriting the GRE in December but I don't know how much I will be able to improve my grade because I don't have much time to study for it :(

I think it's important to just keep your eye on the prize and realize that it's not the end of the world if it takes you longer to reach your goal.

I honestly feel like I learned a lot since I last applied and it really has been a great experience.

Hi everyone,

Someone in my program at UBC was accepted into both SLP and Audiology this year. I guess it's possible!

Hi everyone.

I am a bit worried. One of the SLPs that I have been shadowing and whose contract ends this year has been telling me that she is having a lot of trouble finding a job. She has years of experience with a wide range of kids and ages at a very good organization and, in my opinion, she is very good at what she does.

I have heard similar things from others in terms of the job market at the moment.

Of course, it does not make me change my mind about pursuing SLP because it is something I really enjoy, but the job prospects worry me.

Has anyone heard differently? Are things going to get better job wise?

Edited by speechful11

Hi everyone.

I am a bit worried. One of the SLPs that I have been shadowing and whose contract ends this year has been telling me that she is having a lot of trouble finding a job. She has years of experience with a wide range of kids and ages at a very good organization and, in my opinion, she is very good at what she does.

I have heard similar things from others. That there are not many jobs in SLP at the moment.

Of course, it does not make me change my mind about pursuing SLP because it is something I really enjoy, but the job prospects worry me.

I have heard that the job market in Toronto is pretty saturated, but I do not think its as bad as a lot of other jobs. I think if you are willing to be flexible on where you work, and perhaps work in more rural locations or out of province, it wont be as hard. However, I occasionally look at job postings for SLPs and I do seem quite a few in the GTA.

I have heard that the job market in Toronto is pretty saturated, but I do not think its as bad as a lot of other jobs. I think if you are willing to be flexible on where you work, and perhaps work in more rural locations or out of province, it wont be as hard. However, I occasionally look at job postings for SLPs and I do seem quite a few in the GTA.

That is definitely true about Toronto and it would be difficult to move to a more rural area for me personally but at least it is good to have that option. I have also heard that many of the jobs that are posted are on a contract basis rather than permanent. Does anyone know if this is the case? It would be good to know what to expect.

I wonder if any new grads have insights on how their job searching is turning out and any advice on planning proactively

Edited by speechful11

That is definitely true about Toronto and it would be difficult to move to a more rural area for me personally but at least it is good to have that option. I have also heard that many of the jobs that are posted are on a contract basis rather than permanent. I am not sure how accurate this is.

I wonder if any new grads have insights on how their job searching is turning out and any advice on planning proactively and what to expect.

Another option is to be open to taking 2-3 positions until the possibility of full-time/permanent position opens up. I think anyone who plans to pursue the field should be prepared for the possibility of moving and that's one benefit of the degree.

I also wanted to add that although job outlook prospect websites like Human Resources Canada publish the outlook will get better due to the retirement of the baby boomer population, but this doesn't account for those who are retiring BUT are also choosing to take part-time work so that still reduces opportunities for new graduates to take on more hours. It's no surprise there's not a lot of full-time jobs and seems to be the trend in nursing or teaching as well according to my friends.

Another option is to be open to taking 2-3 positions until the possibility of full-time/permanent position opens up. I think anyone who plans to pursue the field should be prepared for the possibility of moving and that's one benefit of the degree.

I also wanted to add that although job outlook prospect websites like Human Resources Canada publish the outlook will get better due to the retirement of the baby boomer population, but this doesn't account for those who are retiring BUT are also choosing to take part-time work so that still reduces opportunities for new graduates to take on more hours. It's no surprise there's not a lot of full-time jobs and seems to be the trend in nursing or teaching as well according to my friends.

Hmmm. That's something to consider.

I would really like to know what to expect but I guess it will be hard to say.

Edited by speechful11

Hi Meggle,

This will be my second year applying. I applied in 2013, during my fourth year of undergrad and I obviously did not get in. Looking back, I know I really did not have a chance because I knew nothing about the field and my marks werent amazing enough to get away with just the minimum volunteering. I decided to take a year to work on my application and get a full time job so I can save some money for when I do get in.

What ive done since I have applied:

I took on like 10 different volunteer positions - I wanted to get as much experience as possible in many different settings. At the information sessions I went to, they said that they really like seeing applicants who have a wide variety of SLP experiences. I honestly got involved in all aspects of the field! (And now that I have done it, I am so glad I have because I have learned so much from my experiences and I know I will have an advantage during my placements. It has also really proven to me that SLP is something that I want to do!)

I networked - I honestly tried to get into contact with as many different SLPs as possible, to get feedback from them about the field, what they liked, disliked etc. I also contacted several students who were currently in the program and got a better idea of what the program was like.

I boosted my GPA to 3.79/3.8 - I took courses at Athabasca and worked my butt off to try and get 4.0 in the majority of all the additional courses I took. (Your GPA already sounds quite high so this does not sound as necessary or you.)

I got new clinical references - when I first applied, I used a SLP who honestly was not very pleasant and I truly think she was not happy with her job (She ended up leaving her job about three months after). I dont think she wrote me a fantastic reference. Since then, I have obtained two other references from SLPs who I have become very close with and who I am confident will write me a great reference.

Honestly, I do get discouraged sometimes and I am so anxious that I will not get in, even after all that I have tried to do.. however, I know that if I do not get in this year, I will be applying again the year after (third time is the charm ;)). If SLP is something you really want to do, which it does sound like in your case, then try to be positive and strive harder to be the best you can be. In the end, after all your efforts, you will become a more well-rounded person, regardless of if you got in or not.

If you do not feel you are ready to apply, then take another year to keep working on your application.. I know I wasn't ready last application season. Good luck! I really do hope all of us get in, because it is obvious how badly we want this!

It sounds as if you really threw yourself into the idea of reapplying!! I hope you get in! I think that is part of what is holding me back is that I know I didn't bounce back with as much vigor as I expected. The first rejection really brought me down and I didn't want to even think about redoing classes or doing more volunteering. I did enjoy my paid work in the field this summer, and I know I have a good reference letter coming from that so I think I am going to apply again so as not to waste it. However, if I don't make it this time then I don't think I'll be applying a third time. I am enjoying my Autism and Behavioural Science certificate a lot, and although I know it is slightly emotional and irrational of me, but I feel as though Speech Language Pathology doesn't want me and the autism field does. I feel as though with SLP I am chasing a pipe dream and letting other real opportunities pass me by. I hope I am not bringing others down, I am just looking to see if others feel the way I do. Why is this program so difficult to get into? Even med school accepts 14% of applicants!  

Hi everyone.

I have heard similar things from others in terms of the job market at the moment.

I have heard this as well, which is why I find it bizarre that SLP is as competitive as it is, it seems like a great job, something I'd love to do, and I'm sure lots of people will, but with the job market, and the fact that lots of places dont actually provide a salary, it's all just dependent on how many clients you have.. makes it seem kind of unstable.

It sounds as if you really threw yourself into the idea of reapplying!! I hope you get in! I think that is part of what is holding me back is that I know I didn't bounce back with as much vigor as I expected. The first rejection really brought me down and I didn't want to even think about redoing classes or doing more volunteering. I did enjoy my paid work in the field this summer, and I know I have a good reference letter coming from that so I think I am going to apply again so as not to waste it. However, if I don't make it this time then I don't think I'll be applying a third time. I am enjoying my Autism and Behavioural Science certificate a lot, and although I know it is slightly emotional and irrational of me, but I feel as though Speech Language Pathology doesn't want me and the autism field does. I feel as though with SLP I am chasing a pipe dream and letting other real opportunities pass me by. I hope I am not bringing others down, I am just looking to see if others feel the way I do. Why is this program so difficult to get into? Even med school accepts 14% of applicants!

I think working in the field of autism would be highly rewarding and you will probably always find lots of opportunities. Don't be discouraged in general! Sometimes things happen in a way that leads you to where you need to be. As hard as it seems initially. Edited by speechful11