2015 Canadian SLP Thread!

Has yours or anyone else's been updated? I have sent them everything and it shows that they have only received my application fee (which was done online). I am starting to feel a little bit paranoid about it. 

My is the same, just the application fee is showing.  Nothing else.

Hi everyone, I know this question has probably already been addressed somewhere in this forum BUT is the volunteer experience section on the ORPAS application only applicable to volunteer experience acquired directly with an SLP? If so, should I just talk about other relevant volunteer experience in the statement of intent?

Has yours or anyone else's been updated? I have sent them everything and it shows that they have only received my application fee (which was done online). I am starting to feel a little bit paranoid about it. 

Don't worry if your file doesn't seem updated. Last year, they sent out an email around the end of January stating they'd received all my application documents, but my online summary never indicated that my application was complete. I think it was only the references section that was left blank, but at least those were submitted online so I didn't have to worry that they got lost in the mail or something.

Edited by MtlGal

Don't worry if your file doesn't seem updated. Last year, they sent out an email around the end of January stating they'd received all my application documents, but my online summary never indicated that my application was complete. I think it was only the references section that was left blank, but at least those were submitted online so I didn't have to worry that they got lost in the mail or something.

Thanks! My references were sent by mail (and two were separate from the rest of my application document), so I am super paranoid about that especially right now. 

toriec, don't give up hope! It is competitive and it's good to be aware of that going in but some people DO get in the first time around so you really just never know! I've got my fingers crossed for you and everyone else applying this year!

Thanks! I'll try not to worry about it too much. I just have to remember that I have as good a chance as anyone else :)

Hey guys,

I was wondering if you think they separate applicants in terms of 3.7, 3.8, 3.6.. or if someone has a 3.75 is there chance better than someone who has a 3.7.

They are both considered in the same range (well in terms of letter grade I guess)

Good luck with everyone and their applications!!

I went to review my applications in ORPAS and noticed that they had sections for resume, experience, and awards and that I didn't answer them, but I can't find those fields anywhere in the application. I think this is perhaps because those are included in applications for programs I'm not applying to, but this is giving me a real heart attack so close to the deadline date. Anyone know for certain? 

I went to review my applications in ORPAS and noticed that they had sections for resume, experience, and awards and that I didn't answer them, but I can't find those fields anywhere in the application. I think this is perhaps because those are included in applications for programs I'm not applying to, but this is giving me a real heart attack so close to the deadline date. Anyone know for certain?

I emailed them but they gave me a really vague answer about how it may not apply to me. Best to email them and maybe you'll get a better answer (please post if you do!). I looked for it several times and I couldn't find where to upload it either.

Edited by speechful11

I'm going to email them but did find this in their FAQ. Maybe it is the same thing? Then again, they have another question saying resumes can be uploaded through personal submissions. Hopefully they reply quick, because I am eager just to get my apps submitted and over with!  

I see a section for adding Volunteer Experience but I cannot locate an area to enter this information. How can I enter my volunteer experience?

The Volunteer Experience section is only for applications to Audiology or Speech-Language Pathology. You can access this section from the Personal Submissions. 

I'm going to email them but did find this in their FAQ. Maybe it is the same thing? Then again, they have another question saying resumes can be uploaded through personal submissions. Hopefully they reply quick, because I am eager just to get my apps submitted and over with!

Hey, don't stress! I asked again and got this response:

"If a resumé and or award section were required, there would be a place in the Personal Submissions section of the application for you to upload this document. As you will see from the ORPAS Programs Requirements Chart (pg 23 of the ORPAS Instruction Booklet), resumés are not listed as a requirement for the SLP programs."

I was wondering if anyone knew whether ORPAS rounds up the GPA to the nearest decimel place? My average in my last 20 half credits comes up to 3.795. I was hoping for the 3.8 but one course dropped my mark down to a 3.795. I know in the end its so silly and meaningless, but I would really like to be in the 3.8 range, so that I can feel a little bit more competitive!

Good luck everyone, I hope we make it! Our hard work and preparation for the application is finally over, and now its just time to play the waiting game!

Anyone else applying to Mcgill: how long is your personal statment for the second two questions? The first one has a 2000 character limit, but the other two are not specified. Thoughts?

Anyone else applying to Mcgill: how long is your personal statment for the second two questions? The first one has a 2000 character limit, but the other two are not specified. Thoughts?

If they haven't changed the requirements from last year, it should be the same character limit for each section. I think it was indicated after each question.

I made them all the same length. :)

Hi!

Does anyone know what is the exact time frame for McGill to submit documents? Is it 11:59 pm on the 15th or before that?

Also, do they only require the syllabi for our statistics courses or other prerequisite courses also?

Thank you!

Edited by speechful11

I was wondering if anyone knew whether ORPAS rounds up the GPA to the nearest decimel place? My average in my last 20 half credits comes up to 3.795. I was hoping for the 3.8 but one course dropped my mark down to a 3.795. I know in the end its so silly and meaningless, but I would really like to be in the 3.8 range, so that I can feel a little bit more competitive!

Good luck everyone, I hope we make it! Our hard work and preparation for the application is finally over, and now its just time to play the waiting game!

I would like to know this as well!

For people who are applying to Alberta and have already submitted their application, if you go to Bear Tracks, does it say your application requires action? Mine does, and when I look at the "to do" list, it has my transcripts and reference letters listed. I know for sure my reference letters have been submitted, and I'm pretty sure my transcripts have arrived. It does say on their website that they need your official transcripts even if it's after the application deadline, but the deadline hasn't even passed yet! I'm confused.

For people who are applying to Alberta and have already submitted their application, if you go to Bear Tracks, does it say your application requires action? Mine does, and when I look at the "to do" list, it has my transcripts and reference letters listed. I know for sure my reference letters have been submitted, and I'm pretty sure my transcripts have arrived. It does say on their website that they need your official transcripts even if it's after the application deadline, but the deadline hasn't even passed yet! I'm confused.

Mine says the same thing! The transcripts and references both say "initiated". Not sure what requires action. I'm assuming it just hasn't fully updated yet.

Hi everyone,

I am basically having a breakdown!

I went to check my ORPAS and it says that one of my references is currently outstanding! I honestly hounded the professor so many times and she promised me she was going to send it in so that it would arrive on January 9th... I dont know what I am going to do! Will they disqualify me from the application? I honestly worked so hard for this application, over one year, I AM FREAKING OUT!! This is my worst nightmare.

Hi everyone,

I went to check my ORPAS and it says that one of my references is currently outstanding! I honestly hounded the professor so many times and she promised me she was going to send it in so that it would arrive on January 9th... I dont know what I am going to do! Will they disqualify me from the application? I honestly worked so hard for this application, over one year, I AM FREAKING OUT!! This is my worst nightmare.

I am so sorry you're going through this. I would call them first thing in the morning. I heard someone say that ORPAS is lenient with additional documents that are missing after the due date, but I am not sure how true this is. I hope you're not disqualified. That is a huge nightmare.

Hi everyone,

I am experiencing the same issue.... I was able to see the status of my documents on Thursday and saw that one letter is currently outstanding. I know he mailed it in earlier than my other two references so I assumed the letter either got misplaced or lost in the mail. He resent it on Friday but clearly I knew it was going to be late. I emailed ORPAS and this is what they said :

"Thank you for your email. As you can well imagine, there is a large volume of mail received and processed by ORPAS, particularly during deadline time. All documents are date stamped as of the date they are received, and are uploaded into the system as quickly as possible.

Please note that you will need to keep checking the website, as we update the information as soon as it becomes available.

We suggest that you keep all communications (such as emails) with regards to your transcript requests and your referees showing that you requested these documents well before the deadline. This information would cover all your bases should the documents be late in arriving. " 

So I would suggest contacting them about it but I hope this helps!