2015 Canadian SLP Thread!

I wouldn't worry too much. I remember asking UofT a long time ago something similar and they told me B+ and above is looked at favourably (of course, the higher the better). If you had a B or below then maybe (but not necessarily) in your favour to re-do. I don't think many people would re-take a B+.

Well i certainly wouldnt want to spend more money retaking courses i got b +. But i dont get it

I see comments of people who will say their sgpa is in the 3.8 range and yet they got a c+ on a pre requisite? Maybe its because my school doesnt have A-.. So i can never enter 3.9 even when i do get 85%+.

Well i certainly wouldnt want to spend more money retaking courses i got b +. But i dont get it

I see comments of people who will say their sgpa is in the 3.8 range and yet they got a c+ on a pre requisite? Maybe its because my school doesnt have A-.. So i can never enter 3.9 even when i do get 85%+.

I guess it depends how you look at it. It could work in your favour to not have A- because that means that even if you get 80% you still get a 3.8. But I know what you mean, it would only be good if you have more low A's than high A's.

At the end of the day they're still A's, though! :)

Ps. It could be that the people you're talking about did some of their pre-requisites in their first or second year, (I know I did) so it wouldn't affect their sGPA

Edited by speechful11

Can anyone tell me a bit more about the U of T process?

I submitted ( they accepted my late letters because Canada post sent me apology letters----note to everyone: call Canada Post crying... works like a charm), and now we wait for some calculations? Do they show up on the ORPAS website? For those of you who have had interviews in the past, do they require you to go to them? Or can you skype/call?

I know UBC just tells you yay or nay in about two to three weeks ( IE, early acceptances start mid Feb, so get ready!), but the schools in the east seem to wait a lot longer. True? false?

Edited by VancitySLP

Can anyone tell me a bit more about the U of T process?

I submitted ( they accepted my late letters because Canada post sent me apology letters----note to everyone: call Canada Post crying... works like a charm), and now we wait for some calculations? Do they show up on the ORPAS website? For those of you who have had interviews in the past, do they require you to go to them? Or can you skype/call?

I know UBC just tells you yay or nay in about two to three weeks ( IE, early acceptances start mid Feb, so get ready!), but the schools in the east seem to wait a lot longer. True? false?

I'm also wondering about the ORPAS calculations! Not sure about UBC but I know UofT and all the other schools I applied to don't do interviews... are you talking about interviews for SLP or for another program? Also last year UofA and Dal started sending out acceptances mid-march and the Ontario schools send out decisions on April 1st  :D

On the U of T website:

Personal Meeting

Occasionally, when the submitted documentation requires clarification, an applicant may be invited for a personal meeting that takes place in the Department of Speech-Language Pathology. The meeting provides the opportunity to explore in-depth issues such as spoken and written language ability and areas of academic performance or interpersonal communication skills. Applicants living outside Toronto who are unable to attend a personal meeting may be invited to participate via tele- or videoconference.

Guess I answered my own question

Any other Dal applicants still waiting to receive the confirmation email?

I am! I emailed and they told me that they were really backed up and could not give me any confirmation. :(

I received confirmation from Dalhousie only because my GRE scores were missing and once they finally received them they said my application was complete. But my online checklist still hasn't been updated!

Is ORPAS the only one that lets you see your calculated GPA?

I just got an email from Dal! Finally :) It said:

[i would like to confirm that all of your required application documents have been received. Your application is considered complete.]

Thank goodness

Just wanted to wish everyone applying this year good luck!!

Stay positive, and I know the wait will feel like forever, but keep yourselves busy, and no matter what happens you guys are ALL worthy of being SLP's

ORPAS just updated my account with GPA and subGPA information!!

SAME!

I got almost the same numbers I expected, except that they averaged one of my semesters which brought me down from what I had, but only by .01. I wonder why they did that rather than taking the grade that followed.

Edited by speechful11

SAME!

I got almost the same numbers I expected, except that they averaged one of my semesters which brought me down from what I had, but only by .01. I wonder why they did that rather than taking the grade that followed.

They did that for me too! Maybe rather than taking just one grade from that semester, they just average it out to make it more fair. Some of my grades from that semester are much higher than others..

Edited by runnergirlslp

Is anybody able to tell me how they calculate the overall GPA? Mine is not where I expected it to be, although the subGPA is fine. It looks like they didn't use a few semesters at all? I don't get this at all! 

Also did anyone get that U of T email about housing? I had a minor freak out when I saw that until I realized that they probably sent it to everyone haha. 

SAME!

Mine too :( I figured that they might do that, but was hoping they wouldn't. It dropped mine .03

Is anybody able to tell me how they calculate the overall GPA? Mine is not where I expected it to be, although the subGPA is fine. It looks like they didn't use a few semesters at all? I don't get this at all!

Also did anyone get that U of T email about housing? I had a minor freak out when I saw that until I realized that they probably sent it to everyone haha.

I think you should email them. They don't count certain courses, for example, any courses in education or practicums.

I think everyone who applied got that housing email :)

Edited by speechful11

My subGPA is what I expected it to be, thankfully.

Does anyone know why they calculate your cumulative GPA? I thought they only really cared about your subGPA? my cumulative GPA is so much lower :(

My subGPA is what I expected it to be, thankfully.

Does anyone know why they calculate your cumulative GPA? I thought they only really cared about your subGPA? my cumulative GPA is so much lower :(

No idea! I suspect though that if two or more people have the exact same subGPA, they need to start looking at other averages to decide... But who knows. Edited by speechful11