2015 Canadian SLP Thread!

Congrats on being invited to the MMIs! I went to them last year, and it was a great experience. You should be receiving an email shortly that includes a prep document as to what MMIs are and some sample questions that could come up. I prepared by answering those. I then went online to check if there were other questions I could use to practice, but many of them are WAY too hard/irrelevant, so don't stress out too much over those. :) If you have other questions, feel free to ask! 

Oh great, thanks MtlGal!!

Hey guys! It is starting to get exciting!

I also got into U of A! Two days ago they sent me the email :) :) After being rejected from three schools last year I was soooo excited to get that acceptance letter that I jumped up from my bed and screamed waking up my roomate. For anyone who doesn't get in this year do not give up!

I also got into U of A! Two days ago they sent me the email :) :) After being rejected from three schools last year I was soooo excited to get that acceptance letter that I jumped up from my bed and screamed waking up my roomate. For anyone who doesn't get in this year do not give up!

Congrats!! I'm so happy to hear that :) 

Congratulations kats!! So happy for you!

What do you think made a difference for you? I'm already trying to think about what I could do to make my application more competitive if I don't get in anywhere this year.

Congrats!! I'm so happy for you. I guess this means we'll be classmates, too! :)

Hey guys,

can I just confirm that for ORPAS, Summer semester courses are considered individually separate  from fall and winter? It will make me or break me at this point haha

Hey guys,

can I just confirm that for ORPAS, Summer semester courses are considered individually separate  from fall and winter? It will make me or break me at this point haha

The summer course I took in 2013 is listed separate from my 2013 average on ORPAS but it was also taken at a different university so I'm not sure if that makes a difference? 

Hey guys,

can I just confirm that for ORPAS, Summer semester courses are considered individually separate from fall and winter? It will make me or break me at this point haha

I think they list them separately when they calculate your average to show how you did each semester, but when I calculated my average before ORPAS did, I gave the same value to every course (fall and summer) and had the same result as they came up with. Not sure if that helps. Edited by speechful11

Congrats to all that have heard back from the U of A!! :D  Hopefully I hear back from there or any of the other schools I applied to. Not going to lie, I'm really nervous! :unsure:

Congratulations kats!! So happy for you!

What do you think made a difference for you? I'm already trying to think about what I could do to make my application more competitive if I don't get in anywhere this year.

I think the biggest thing was increasing my hours with a SLP and volunteering with multiple populations! Also, I got a job with Autism services and became a research assistant. For me it was increasing my experiences in the field that was most important I think! :)

Hey guys,

Hi speechies,

yes, summer semester courses are considered separate from fall and winter and they are averaged apart from fall and winter semester courses. 

Hi speechies,

yes, summer semester courses are considered separate from fall and winter and they are averaged apart from fall and winter semester courses. 

Really? Some of my summer courses are my pre reqs.. is this bad?

My summer courses were given equal weight in my sub GPA calculation for orpas

of course not. They are weighted equal to all other courses. The only difference is that the summer session is considered separate to the rest of the year (fall and winter).

The only thing that will get affected is if they have to go back another year for your last 20 credits since they will use an average of the whole year. Summer courses will not be included in the whole year (fall and winter) average, but rather they would be averaged with other courses you took during the same summer. For example, if some of your last 20 courses were taken in the summer, they would average all the courses you took that summer and use that average to calculate the GPA for however many credits you need to make to make the last 20 credits. Not sure if I explained it, but taking pre-reqs in the summer is definitely not bad.

of course not. They are weighted equal to all other courses. The only difference is that the summer session is considered separate to the rest of the year (fall and winter).

The only thing that will get affected is if they have to go back another year for your last 20 credits since they will use an average of the whole year. Summer courses will not be included in the whole year (fall and winter) average, but rather they would be averaged with other courses you took during the same summer. For example, if some of your last 20 courses were taken in the summer, they would average all the courses you took that summer and use that average to calculate the GPA for however many credits you need to make to make the last 20 credits. Not sure if I explained it, but taking pre-reqs in the summer is definitely not bad.

Ohh I understand! This did not affect me because they averaged my second year for the additional 2 credits they needed and I took summer courses between third and fourth year. Not sure if that made sense, but I understood what you were saying at least haha. 

Perfect! This is what I assumed, thanks!

Someone posted a couple days ago in GradCafe Results that they received a call from UBC in February. Congrats to whoever you are! Has anyone else heard anything from UBC?

Hey! I have yet to hear anything from UBC. I didn't know that they had already started sending out program decisions. Good luck to everyone!  :)

Last year's McGill acceptances went out on March 12 - I am freaking out!!

I do not have my hopes very high for McGill, but MAN am I ever anxious for this next week to be over! I'm checking all the time!

My hopes for McGill are also not high. I'm mostly still holding out for the second round of acceptances from Alberta! Is anyone else dying of anxiety?? I keep checking this thread and my email way too often.

My hopes for McGill are also not high. I'm mostly still holding out for the second round of acceptances from Alberta! Is anyone else dying of anxiety?? I keep checking this thread and my email way too often.

Me and you both, sab236! So guilty of constantly stalking this forum, they should give out an award for that haha ;)

Has anyone heard anything back from Alberta since last Tuesday? I really wish all the schools had a set date for acceptances like ORPAS!

Me and you both, sab236! So guilty of constantly stalking this forum, they should give out an award for that haha ;)

Has anyone heard anything back from Alberta since last Tuesday? I really wish all the schools had a set date for acceptances like ORPAS!

Hey! I've been checking my email way too much too  :blink:. I emailed and they told me they just started the admission process last week and are waiting to hear back for acceptances. I believe people have until April 7th to get back to U of A with their final decisions  :)

Has anyone heard from UBC?