2015 Canadian SLP Thread!

Thanks everybody! But don't give up hope about Alberta yet! Even though they worded it that way in my email I honestly have a feeling that not all of the acceptances have gone out yet. Multiple people have said that they received their acceptances after being in contact with them earlier that day which is kind of what happened to me (minus the acceptance hahah). I'm starting to think they just contacted me about the wait-list because I emailed them earlier in the day. And maybe the wording of the email is just a default message for all wait-listers. But I really don't know. It just seems that way because no one else has posted about an acceptance yet today which seems weird to me.

Congrats on the waitlist spot, sab236! :) I'm starting to lose a lot of hope for U of A - I thought I had the greatest chance of getting accepted there out of all the schools I applied to, especially since I made my sGPA quite competitive since the last round, and got a lot more experiences. At this point, I'm bracing for my 3rd rejection from them, and wonder if this is the universe's way of telling me that SLP just isn't meant for me.

I can imagine how you feel. They really should open up more spots. I mean, when you have nearly 400 applicants and people on wait lists to receive therapy... I don't get it. Edited by speechful11

I'm really surprised no one else has heard from Dal yet (other than toriec). I live in Halifax, graduated from Dal and know quite a few people who applied to their SLP program so it makes me think they haven't sent out all their offers of admission yet? 

I got on the wait list for Alberta! Does anyone know if it's common for people to get in off the waitlist?? I feel like because I'm finding out early it could be a good sign that I'm near the top of the list.

"The department has sent out offer letters to 56 students.  These students have until April 7 to make their decision.  In the meantime, you have been put on our waiting list.   It can take until the end of April early May to fill our quota or longer.   At this time, please refrain from contacting the office for more information on the status of your application.  Your application is very strong, so if you do get accepted to another university, please let us know so we can update our list accordingly.  Your letter is attached.  Thank you.

Vicki"

Given that there are 56 spots, naturally there's a higher probability that more people will change their mind/choose alternative programs.

I personally know quite a few that applied to Alberta for "safety"

I'd say you got a decent chance! Stay strong

Given that there are 56 spots, naturally there's a higher probability that more people will change their mind/choose alternative programs.

. I think anytime you're on a wait list your chances are very good. I'm sure a lot of people applied also because it's a really good program with a solid reputation, not just as backup. Is it the first time they have 56 spots?

I personally did not apply because it's too far from me but I wish I couldve.

Edited by speechful11

True, thanks! Is there anyone who has currently been accepted to Alberta that would decline (or is currently planning to decline) if accepted somewhere else?? Holding on for any hope haha. Good luck to everybody waiting to hear as well!

I'm also really wondering about Dalhousie. I have a feeling the first acceptances may be within the affirmative action plan because they normally hear first. Other than that I'm dying to know when they will release the rest of the acceptances! It seems like not too many people have been accepted? Does anyone know when they sent them out last year?

Thanks everybody! But don't give up hope about Alberta yet! Even though they worded it that way in my email I honestly have a feeling that not all of the acceptances have gone out yet. Multiple people have said that they received their acceptances after being in contact with them earlier that day which is kind of what happened to me (minus the acceptance hahah). I'm starting to think they just contacted me about the wait-list because I emailed them earlier in the day. And maybe the wording of the email is just a default message for all wait-listers. But I really don't know. It just seems that way because no one else has posted about an acceptance yet today which seems weird to me.

Hi sab236! I just made an account to post this. UofA gave out another round of acceptance letters on Friday, I think? My friend and I got one in the afternoon.

"Congratulations!  The Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders at the UofAB would like to offer you a position in the MScSLP program for Fall 2015.  Please respond to this email ASAP so I know you have received it!  You do not have to give us your decision today.  A written response by email to accept or decline our offer is necessary by April 7, 2015.  Your decision is welcome at any time before the deadline.  If you have any questions do not hesitate to contact either myself or Dr. Joanne Volden.  Your Offer letter is attached.  Look forward to hearing from you soon."

I think it is a default message haha. There was a typo in the course number I needed to complete to fulfill my conditional acceptance.

True, thanks! Is there anyone who has currently been accepted to Alberta that would decline (or is currently planning to decline) if accepted somewhere else?? Holding on for any hope haha. Good luck to everybody waiting to hear as well!

I'm also really wondering about Dalhousie. I have a feeling the first acceptances may be within the affirmative action plan because they normally hear first. Other than that I'm dying to know when they will release the rest of the acceptances! It seems like not too many people have been accepted? Does anyone know when they sent them out last year?

I'm not sure if I would decline? I'm waiting to hear back from UBC! Don't know if I should be worried that it's taking so long or relieved that it's not an outright rejection yet. I took my undergrad at UBC, but I'm originally from Alberta so I'm a bit torn.

Good luck sab236 and everyone who is still waiting! Looking forward to meeting some of you :)

I'm really surprised no one else has heard from Dal yet (other than toriec). I live in Halifax, graduated from Dal and know quite a few people who applied to their SLP program so it makes me think they haven't sent out all their offers of admission yet? 

Last year I remember there was one person who got accepted to Dal way earlier than other people. I just searched last year's results and it was actually the 13th (same day as toriec.. interesting!) and then it wasn't until the 28th that another 2 people posted that they had received acceptance letters. 

hi guys, long-time lurker here, finally posting because i'm confused!
I applied to U of A this year, and this afternoon I emailed them and asked if they're done with their acceptance letters. She told me, and I quote: "We are still in the process of contacting successful applicants.  Once we have our quota we will begin contacting students on the waiting list." So I'm confused that people got waitlisted today... kinda strange, seeing as how I was told that they're not doing that yet.

hi guys, long-time lurker here, finally posting because i'm confused!

I applied to U of A this year, and this afternoon I emailed them and asked if they're done with their acceptance letters. She told me, and I quote: "We are still in the process of contacting successful applicants.  Once we have our quota we will begin contacting students on the waiting list." So I'm confused that people got waitlisted today... kinda strange, seeing as how I was told that they're not doing that yet.

When I first emailed Alberta today to ask if they were done with the admission process they said "It is far from being complete probably not until May or so.  The waiting list letters have not gone out yet either.  Please have patience." So maybe when she said "we will begin contacting people on the waiting list" to you she meant to say they will contact waitlisters to say they made it off the waiting list and into the program.

Wow your application sounds super competitive I am very surprised. Did you apply in Ontario as well?

I'm sorry to those that did not get in. Don't be discouraged by this rejection guys - McGill takes the least out of everyone. I have 2 friends who got rejected from McGill but still got in to Ontario schools last year. Just hold out for April 1st!

Long time lurker, I got into Dal on March 13th as well. It's actually Dal that has the smallest program in Canada, they take 24 SLP students. That along with it having the best clinical placements and most clinical education are why it's my top choice. There's an article on the SAC website that reviewed Canadian programs and Dal was the only one that didn't report any problems finding placements, and you get nearly twice the hours as other schools.

Good luck to those hearing back!

I got accepted to Dal by email on March 13th but it still has to be approved by the Faculty of Grad Studies. Good luck to everyone waiting!

Long time lurker, I got into Dal on March 13th as well. It's actually Dal that has the smallest program in Canada, they take 24 SLP students. That along with it having the best clinical placements and most clinical education are why it's my top choice. There's an article on the SAC website that reviewed Canadian programs and Dal was the only one that didn't report any problems finding placements, and you get nearly twice the hours as other schools.

Congratulations to you both! Would you be willing to send me your stats in a private message? I'd really appreciate it! :)

When I first emailed Alberta today to ask if they were done with the admission process they said "It is far from being complete probably not until May or so.  The waiting list letters have not gone out yet either.  Please have patience." So maybe when she said "we will begin contacting people on the waiting list" to you she meant to say they will contact waitlisters to say they made it off the waiting list and into the program.

Ahh ok.. the wait is killing me! I was waitlisted last year and have since greatly strengthened my application.. but have yet to hear from them this year. Crossing my fingers...

Congrats on your acceptance :) Dal is a great school!! I'm curious about the clinical hours for Dal... I also looked on the SAC website and it states that Dal has an expected number of 130 (full-time equivalent) days of clinical placement, whereas U of T has 150 and U of A has 151-191. This survey was from 2010 though so maybe the information is outdated? 

. I think anytime you're on a wait list your chances are very good. I'm sure a lot of people applied also because it's a really good program with a solid reputation, not just as backup. Is it the first time they have 56 spots?

I personally did not apply because it's too far from me but I wish I couldve.

U of A has always had 56-58 spots!

I got accepted to Dal by email on March 13th but it still has to be approved by the Faculty of Grad Studies. Good luck to everyone waiting!

Congratulations, shleew & Archie15! :) Would you be willing to send me your stats in a PM as well?

Hey All, 

I have noticed some of you have been wondering if anyone else has been waitlisted at U of A. I received an email from them this afternoon stating I am on the waitlist. Pretty excited but at the same time it isn't a for sure yes so not getting to worked up yet. Does anyone know how many people they have on their waitlist? 

Sorry that sentence doesn't make sense. It was suppose to say. Is anyone considering becoming an SLP-A if they do not get into the SLP program this year? I know Grant Macewan University has a program if anyone is interested :) 

Is anyone considering becoming an SLP-A if they do not get into the SLP program this year? I know Grant Macewan University has a program if anyone is interested :)

I've considered it but I think I'm going to wait until I have all my final decisions from schools to decide what step to take next. I'm hesitant because I don't see a lot of jobs posted for them (but there are lots of jobs for OT and PT assistants it seems), plus I think they only really exist in a few provinces (Alberta and Ontario?).

For what it's worth though, I know somebody who went through the program at Grant Mac and spoke very highly of it! She said most of her classmates were people who were rejected from speech, or were using the program as a ways of boosting their speech application. 

Edited by TotallyOriginalUsername

Hey All, 

I have noticed some of you have been wondering if anyone else has been waitlisted at U of A. I received an email from them this afternoon stating I am on the waitlist. Pretty excited but at the same time it isn't a for sure yes so not getting to worked up yet. Does anyone know how many people they have on their waitlist? 

There's usually around 30.

Congratulations everyone who got accepted to McGill! I also did not make it into McGill. I am not super surprised but of course disappointed.

I hope to have better luck at the Ontario schools. My GPA is 3.73 and subGPA is 3.95 according to ORPAS. I also have about 300 volunteer hours with two different populations and conference presentations/research experience. I guess McGill is looking for something specific. They said they had to turn down a lot of great applicants because they received approximately 400 applications this year and could only admit 28 students.

Thank you for posting this, it makes me feel better to know someone so highly qualified did not get in as well. I have a 3.89 sGPA, 100 hours with two SLPs in two populations, research experience in cognitive neuroscience, have worked for Autism services, have hundreds of other related experience, had a speech impediment as a child, and am teaching English in Japan... I just don't know what else I could have done.  But c'est la vie I will be an SLP anyways :) Rejection just always sucks