2015 Canadian SLP Thread!

Long time lurker, I got into Dal on March 13th as well. It's actually Dal that has the smallest program in Canada, they take 24 SLP students. That along with it having the best clinical placements and most clinical education are why it's my top choice. There's an article on the SAC website that reviewed Canadian programs and Dal was the only one that didn't report any problems finding placements, and you get nearly twice the hours as other schools.

Good luck to those hearing back!

Could you post a link to that article by any chance? Id love to read it to see if it impact my decision!

There's usually around 30.

Thank you for this! Just wondering where you got that info? I feel like they are so secretive about the waitlist that I was surprised to see a number attached to it!

Congrats to all of those who got in so far! 

I was wondering if each program deals with ORPAS differently.. 

I assumed that in our subGPA calculation for SLP, the summer courses are individual to our other courses. BUT, in the OT Faqs for Uof T, it mentioned this: 

Will my summer courses be counted separately or as part of my fall/winter average?

If you took eight courses or more in the preceding fall/winter terms, summer courses are counted as their own average.

If you took seven courses or fewer in the preceding fall/winter terms, your summer courses are combined with your preceding fall/winter courses for one total average. For example, if you took seven courses in your second year, and then one course the following summer, the seven courses in second year and the one course in the summer would be added together for one weighted average.

Does anyone know when Western will send out the log in information that you must log into to see if you get accepted? ( If anyone knows what i am talking about) 

I am wondering the same thing. I am glad I am not the only one who hasn't heard anything. I looked into my past emails and when I applied in 2013, they sent the email with that log in info on Feb 19th :s

Does anyone know when Western will send out the log in information that you must log into to see if you get accepted? ( If anyone knows what i am talking about) 

I was wondering the same thing! I was concerned that I hadn't heard anything, but now it sounds like nobody has!

Does anyone know whether last year Western and U of T sent acceptances, wait lists, and rejections at the same time, or over a few days like these other schools?

I also was wondering whether they send them at midnight or the morning of April 1st?

I have a deadline to accept an offer for another masters program that same day :-x

Edited by speechful11

Does anyone know whether last year Western and U of T sent acceptances, wait lists, and rejections at the same time, or over a few days like these other schools?

I also was wondering whether they send them at midnight or the morning of April 1st?

I have a deadline to accept an offer for another masters program that same day :-x

I'm pretty sure you find out about Western either way at midnight but U of T sends acceptances and wait list emails during the business day, and rejections come in the mail a few days later.

I would explain your situation to the other graduate program. I'm sure they'd be willing to give you a few extra days if you need it.

She told me last year, but she told me it's about 30 every year.

Thank you so much for the info. They said they don't want me to ask them where I am on the wait list so I'm afraid to ask any other questions haha.

I'm really hoping I hear good things from dal soon because I feel like it's my biggest hope at this point. If people start to hear soon please let us know!

Hi all! 

Been reading all of the posts, and for other people's interest:

Accepted to: UofA and Dalhousie on March 13

Rejected from: McGill on March 16

yet to hear from: UWO (which happens April 1 as we all know), and UBC

If you want to know my 'stats' let me know!

Cheers :)

Congrats to everyone who has already been accepted! I am hoping to write an article for www.CanadianSLP.com featuring some people who have been accepted to grad school. Hopefully this will allow aspiring SLPs have a good idea of what kind of candidates the schools are looking for.  If you have been accepted, feel free to email me at canadianslpeducation@gmail.com. 

Thanks! 

Hi all! 

Been reading all of the posts, and for other people's interest:

Accepted to: UofA and Dalhousie on March 13

Rejected from: McGill on March 16

yet to hear from: UWO (which happens April 1 as we all know), and UBC

If you want to know my 'stats' let me know!

Cheers :)

Hi, Just curious which school you will be accepting. :) 

Hi all,

Did anyone here have their MMI interview at UofO (Ottawa) this Monday or Tuesday (today)? Mine is tomorrow and I was just wondering if someone could offer some "non-confidential" tips on their experience. ;)

Thanks in advance!

Hi all,

Did anyone here have their MMI interview at UofO (Ottawa) this Monday or Tuesday (today)? Mine is tomorrow and I was just wondering if someone could offer some "non-confidential" tips on their experience. ;)

Thanks in advance!

Hi papillonbleu22

I went through mine on Monday and it wasn't too bad! My only non-confidential tip would be to slow things down and don't talk too fast. Its OK if you don't fit in everything you wanted to say, because the subjects are so broad anyways. The time pressure is definitely present, but don't let it take away from what you would like to say by making you feel flustered or pressured. Also, be sure to talk to the current students after the interviews because they have a lot of insightful things to say about attending UofO!

However, take that advise with a grain of salt because I have absolutely no idea how well I did!

Good luck :)

Could you post a link to that article by any chance? Id love to read it to see if it impact my decision!

I'm not sure if this is the same article but here is a survey from 2010 that has lots of info :)  :

http://sac-oac.ca/sites/default/files/resources/university_survey_%202010_speech_0.pdf

Hi papillonbleu22

I went through mine on Monday and it wasn't too bad! My only non-confidential tip would be to slow things down and don't talk too fast. Its OK if you don't fit in everything you wanted to say, because the subjects are so broad anyways. The time pressure is definitely present, but don't let it take away from what you would like to say by making you feel flustered or pressured. Also, be sure to talk to the current students after the interviews because they have a lot of insightful things to say about attending UofO!

However, take that advise with a grain of salt because I have absolutely no idea how well I did!

Good luck :)

Thanks a lot for your advice! I'll definitely keep it in mind for tomorrow. Best of luck with all your applications! :)

Been lurking for awhile... Starting to freak out. 

Not much has been said about UBC here but I noticed that in addition to one early acceptance from February on the results page, someone got accepted there today. Anyone here get accepted? 

I got accepted to UBC today for SLP, and I know they called the audi students too.

Congratulations! That's great news :)

I have yet to hear anything from UBC. :| feeling anxious.