2015 Canadian SLP Thread!

Hey Guys. Congrats on all the acceptances. Just to let people know, McGill isn't consistently giving phone calls. I got my acceptance today around 3:30 via email. Calls may only be a within-province thing. Keep your hopes up, there still may be more coming :)

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted so far! I got an e-mail from McGill today a bit after 4:30 saying that they completed the admissions process, but that I made it onto the waiting list.  I'm assuming that means all of the people who have been accepted were notified, but I'm not sure. Congrats to everyone so far and good-luck to everyone still waiting! :)

I think their waiting list is also very small.. So most likely all wait-listers heard today. I hate to be negative but I'm assuming this is the kiss of death to my application haha.

Also could you message me your stats?

Edited by kats

Don't be negative!! I only heard from them late yesterday afternoon! They probably haven't finished contacting people yet, so you might hear from them next week! :) But yes, I'll send you my stats!

Hey Guys. Congrats on all the acceptances. Just to let people know, McGill isn't consistently giving phone calls. I got my acceptance today around 3:30 via email. Calls may only be a within-province thing. Keep your hopes up, there still may be more coming :)

I live in Ontario and got a call, but thats still much closer than some applicants live so who knows!

Don't be negative!! I only heard from them late yesterday afternoon! They probably haven't finished contacting people yet, so you might hear from them next week! :) But yes, I'll send you my stats!

Congratulations to all who got accepted and waitlisted! I'm trying to stay positive here (for a spot on the waitlist) while also going over and over plans B, C, D in my head. conohan, could you please send your stats to me as well?

Good luck to those still waiting, for McGill and elsewhere!

Could you also send me your stats? Thanks :)

Curious how are you all deciding which program to accept

Has anybody made a pro/con list for each school?

Anybody know how Canadian SLP schools and programs rank?

Which school offers the best SLP program in Canada?

All thoughts/opinions welcome  :)

If I get a choice, as of right now, I'm probably going to decide based on which city I want to live in. This is likely not the best way to go, but I have no idea how I'd even begin to judge which is best for me. I've been lucky enough to visit all the schools I've applied to, and I loved them all/ have no idea which would be the right  choice. 

Looking forward to what others have to say about this! 

I tried looking into a 'ranking' system, but because there is so few programs in Canada they're all basically considered equal.

Obviously McGill has the smallest class size, so that is a bonus. Western has an in-house clinic that is convenient - however there are little to no opportunities within London for clinical placement options, and as transit to get in and out of London is BRUTAL (I go to Western now) that would be an issue for anyone without a vehicle. U of T has the biggest class size which is a bummer, but because you're in Toronto there are a lot of opportunities around you, and with transit there that's not as stressful for someone like me who does not have a car. 

I think it also depends on what area you want to practice. I think each school has it's strengths, but some have difficulties with certain placements. If you are wanting adult neuro then U of T or Mcgill might be the best options, and if you are wanting to work with children Alberta or Western might be better options. U of T and Mcgill both have trouble finding voice and fluency placements, where as Alberta and Western have difficulty with Adult Neuro (I think because of the size of the city), but both have in-house clinics that have large pediatric sections. However, it is also important to note that if you are not sufficiently bilingual Mcgill may have trouble placing you in your desired clinical placement. Based on the clinical placement restrictions I think that each school is slightly specialized to the available placements surrounding that school.

This is not to say that you can't go into adult neuro from Alberta but that each school may just have a slight focus.

Source: I only have information on these schools because I have a good friend in each program (who went to undergrad with me).

I think it also depends on what area you want to practice. I think each school has it's strengths, but some have difficulties with certain placements. If you are wanting adult neuro then U of T or Mcgill might be the best options, and if you are wanting to work with children Alberta or Western might be better options. U of T and Mcgill both have trouble finding voice and fluency placements, where as Alberta and Western have difficulty with Adult Neuro (I think because of the size of the city), but both have in-house clinics that have large pediatric sections. However, it is also important to note that if you are not sufficiently bilingual Mcgill may have trouble placing you in your desired clinical placement. Based on the clinical placement restrictions I think that each school is slightly specialized to the available placements surrounding that school.

This is not to say that you can't go into adult neuro from Alberta but that each school may just have a slight focus.

Source: I only have information on these schools because I have a good friend in each program (who went to undergrad with me).

This is all very interesting to me! I know Toronto has a centre specifically called 'the Speech and Stuttering Institute' and I volunteered there one summer and they have stuttering camps throughout! Perhaps this is the only placement opportunity for fluency, Im not sure, but it is definitely a good one.

Im not sure about adult neuro at Western but London is one of the biggest cities in Ontario and has 4 hospitals (that I know of), but I have been told placements in London are few and far between in general which is what scares me.

Also, thank you for bringing up the issue of speaking french for placements at McGill. I never would have considered that and although I speak French it is definitely not well enough to give therapy in it.  

Hi Everyone,

I'm not a current applicant but I was wondering if anyone knows how older prerequisites are treated by grad schools. I completed an undergrad in Linguistics and Biology at UofT in 2005, with a GPA of 3.9. I decided to wait with grad school until my husband and I had our kids. We ended up having four kids  :)  so it's now been more than ten years since I earned my prerequisites. Is it still possible for me to apply?

Thanks!

Hi Everyone,

I'm not a current applicant but I was wondering if anyone knows how older prerequisites are treated by grad schools. I completed an undergrad in Linguistics and Biology at UofT in 2005, with a GPA of 3.9. I decided to wait with grad school until my husband and I had our kids. We ended up having four kids  :)  so it's now been more than ten years since I earned my prerequisites. Is it still possible for me to apply?

Thanks!

I know U of T at least doesn't accept prerequisites that are more than ten years old. You might have to retake a few classes, but you can do that online. 

Anyone know why they require this? Seems a bit silly to make someone retake a bunch of courses just because they took them ten years ago. Kinda makes it difficult for people trying for a second career who might bring a lot of great experiences to the table. 

Perhaps! I'm still waiting on Western's decision but I'm leaning more towards Dal for now :) What about you?

Definitely Dal for me, it was the only place I applied! But of course advantages to Western as well (I just graduated from there actually!)

I know U of T at least doesn't accept prerequisites that are more than ten years old. You might have to retake a few classes, but you can do that online. 

Anyone know why they require this? Seems a bit silly to make someone retake a bunch of courses just because they took them ten years ago. Kinda makes it difficult for people trying for a second career who might bring a lot of great experiences to the table. 

It totally makes sense.

SLP field isn't stagnant it rapidly changes, neuroimaging gets better and better, there are crazy paradigm shifts in psychology, studies of development, heck even stats! 5-10 years ago iPads in rehab were unheard of, now a lot of clients rely on them for communication and lots of programs rely on them for therapy. 

One of my profs refused to use a textbook because she said that by the time its conferred and published, a tonne of new research has already come out.

So I completely understand why they would ask you to retake pre-reqs from a decade ago. 

Does anyone know where I can find tuition fees for each school? I have only been able to find general graduate tuition fees but Im assuming clinical is a bit different. Im also assuming Mcgill is a bit pricier if you're out of province but I have had no success in looking.

Any help would be appreciated!

Got rejected from McGill today :( Not really surprised though, I'm going to be applying next year, so for now I'm working on completing my undergraduate, volunteering more with SLPs and writing the GRE. Good luck to everyone else!

Sorry to hear that you didn't get in r4chung. Good to see that you are being positive about it though! :)

On a side note, has anyone heard from Western about creating a student account? I haven't and I am starting to worry that maybe they didn't get my application because I haven't gotten any emails from either U of T or Western.

Congratulations everyone who got accepted to McGill! I also did not make it into McGill. I am not super surprised but of course disappointed.

I hope to have better luck at the Ontario schools. My GPA is 3.73 and subGPA is 3.95 according to ORPAS. I also have about 300 volunteer hours with two different populations and conference presentations/research experience. I guess McGill is looking for something specific. They said they had to turn down a lot of great applicants because they received approximately 400 applications this year and could only admit 28 students.

Edited by speechful11

Got rejected from McGill today :( Not really surprised though, I'm going to be applying next year, so for now I'm working on completing my undergraduate, volunteering more with SLPs and writing the GRE. Good luck to everyone else!

I'm sorry r4chung, I know how you feel :( I just got the rejection notification myself. I wasn't surprised though as my undergrad stats are mediocre, I need more observation hours with an SLP and have far more related employment experience than volunteer. Oh well, there's always next year