2015 Canadian SLP Thread!

Has anyone had the nerve to inquire if Dal is through sending out acceptances? I'd sure like to know!...starting to feel discouraged.  :( Sigh..

Huge congrats to everyone who's gotten accepted!!!

Hey! Last year Dal sent acceptances to affirmative action applicants 2 weeks before the rest of the acceptance emails were sent out - I got mine on March 28th (regular stream). Also keep in mind that Dal has been shut down the last 2 days due to a huge snowstorm, so nothing has been happening whatsoever since Tuesday. I'd guess they're on a similar schedule as last year, which means around the very end of March. Good luck!! 

Edited by CaraL

I got accepted to UBC today for SLP, and I know they called the audi students too. 

I got accepted into UBC for audiology yesterday by phone. I am an out-of-province student !! I am so excited !! Good luck to all that are still waiting to hear back !!

Hey guys, long time lurker here! I just got a call from UBC and got accepted to the SLP program! they called me round 4:00 PST. So there is still hope to everyone who has not heard!! They are definitely making offers in waves! Good luck to everyone, and hopefully I'll see some of you next year at UBC!

Got a call today from UBC also, and was accepted! Exciting times, and big decisions ahead 

Hi everyone,

I am a longtime lurker and just made this account so I could post this message. I heard from UBC today and got into both Speech pathology and Audiology. I still can't believe it, I never thought I would get into both. My stats were lower then a lot of people on these forums so I really didn't think I had a shot. If there are any people reading this and worrying that there grades are too low, good reference letters and tons of volunteer experience really can make a big difference. Good luck to those still waiting and congratulations to those who were accepted.

Congrats evreyone! I also received an acceptance from UBC yesterday :)

Hey! Last year Dal sent acceptances to affirmative action applicants 2 weeks before the rest of the acceptance emails were sent out - I got mine on March 28th (regular stream). Also keep in mind that Dal has been shut down the last 2 days due to a huge snowstorm, so nothing has been happening whatsoever since Tuesday. I'd guess they're on a similar schedule as last year, which means around the very end of March. Good luck!! 

Are they open today?

I know that Dal has a certain number of seats reserved for students from the Atlantic provinces. Is it possible that they contact those students first, and then the other students later? 

I have pretty much given up all hope for the U of A by now. Keeping my fingers crossed for Western and Dal still. I have a strong feeling I won't have gotten into U of T, but I guess it's too soon to give up on them either. 

Are they open today?

No, Dal is completely closed today! 

I know that Dal has a certain number of seats reserved for students from the Atlantic provinces. Is it possible that they contact those students first, and then the other students later? 

I have pretty much given up all hope for the U of A by now. Keeping my fingers crossed for Western and Dal still. I have a strong feeling I won't have gotten into U of T, but I guess it's too soon to give up on them either. 

I don't think so, I'm from the maritimes but a couple of my friends heard back around the same time and they're not. If I recall correctly, last year I had until April 21st to respond to the offer. I think they try to get everyone accepted to be notified on or before April 1st because they know that's when the Ontario schools let everyone know definitively. I'm also not sure how long the waitlist is! 

Edited by CaraL

Thanks CaraL :) 

That does give me a bit of hope, thanks! But I'm mostly wondering if all of the acceptances have already gone out. I have a feeling they have :(

Also, judging by last years forum, Dal has a really long waiting list it seems. So I won't get my hopes up even if I manage to get on it :( Does anyone know how long it is?

When I was on the waitlist last year they would not provide me with any information (such as how many people were on the waitlist or where I placed on the list). It was definitely a frustrating experience! 

I am actually not sure which one I am going to choose, I never thought I would be accepted to both programs so I never considered what I would do if I was.

Congratulations brody43! Are you an out-of-province applicant by any chance?

Thank you so much!! I feel much better about it now. Is anyone on here who is accepted to Dal a part of the affirmative action plan? Or not a part of it for that matter?

Only reason I still worry a little is because this year Dalhousie seems to be sending out acceptances earlier than last year. But maybe with all of these closures they are just behind and still aiming to send the rest of the acceptances out by April 1st.

Anyone know when the wait list notifications for Dalhousie started to be sent out last year?

Thanks for all of the info everybody! :) This forum does make me go a little crazy sometimes but it's also super informative and has the power to calm my nerves at times too haha.

For those of you applying to U of T who got the Ujoined email - when you log on what does it say? I clicked 'check status' and it says 'no applicant information available'. I know the acceptance isnt out until April 1st but I would think it would at least say applied or something. Does anything different happen to anyone else?

For those of you applying to U of T who got the Ujoined email - when you log on what does it say? I clicked 'check status' and it says 'no applicant information available'. I know the acceptance isnt out until April 1st but I would think it would at least say applied or something. Does anything different happen to anyone else?

Mine says the same thing. They contact us by email on April 1st so maybe our status online will never be updated? I got nervous when I saw that as well so I'm glad I'm not the only one :) 

Mine says "applicant data not found". So you're not the only one! 

Noriko and Vikki both confirmed it.

Well this is a sad day :(  I knew it would be really competitive, but wow.  I went through the SLP Assistant program at MacEwan in 2007 and have worked as an SLPA for 5 years. I had a 3.72 subGPA, volunteer experience, research experience, and great references.  However, I had a prereq that pulled down my prereq GPA to a 3.4 (and my entire GPA) and a prereq over 12 years old (which I wasn't worried about until reading about it on here). I guess that must have been enough to axe me :( How heartbreaking. Sorry to everyone in a similar position and congrats to everyone that's not :)

Thanks for that CaraL. So Much stress right now!! At work but can't seem to stay off these forums haha. 

Thank you so much!! I feel much better about it now. Is anyone on here who is accepted to Dal a part of the affirmative action plan? Or not a part of it for that matter?

Only reason I still worry a little is because this year Dalhousie seems to be sending out acceptances earlier than last year. But maybe with all of these closures they are just behind and still aiming to send the rest of the acceptances out by April 1st.

Anyone know when the wait list notifications for Dalhousie started to be sent out last year?

Thanks for all of the info everybody! :) This forum does make me go a little crazy sometimes but it's also super informative and has the power to calm my nerves at times too haha.

Last year it was April 4th.. the year before that it was the 8th, but they were mailed that year. Sigh.. I don't know if I can handle a 3rd year of being waitlisted at Dal. And I'm an out-of-field applicant so it's the only school I can apply to :(

Well this is a sad day :(  I knew it would be really competitive, but wow.  I went through the SLP Assistant program at MacEwan in 2007 and have worked as an SLPA for 5 years. I had a 3.72 subGPA, volunteer experience, research experience, and great references.  However, I had a prereq that pulled down my prereq GPA to a 3.4 (and my entire GPA) and a prereq over 12 years old (which I wasn't worried about until reading about it on here). I guess that must have been enough to axe me :( How heartbreaking. Sorry to everyone in a similar position and congrats to everyone that's not :)

:( I know, I kinda had a breakdown when I found out, too... I mean there MAY be a shred of hope, as they told me that although all the 56 acceptances went out, plus preliminary waitlists, admissions are not completely finalized till May-ish. But I mean, being logical... we probably won't get in now.. :( Really sucks, because I got waitlisted last year with quite a lower GPA and other stats, with a course in progress- and this year my app was much more competitive.. I guess it was just a super competitive year..

Mine says the same thing. They contact us by email on April 1st so maybe our status online will never be updated? I got nervous when I saw that as well so I'm glad I'm not the only one :)

Mine says "applicant data not found". So you're not the only one! 

Okay good! Thanks guys :)

:( I know, I kinda had a breakdown when I found out, too... I mean there MAY be a shred of hope, as they told me that although all the 56 acceptances went out, plus preliminary waitlists, admissions are not completely finalized till May-ish. But I mean, being logical... we probably won't get in now.. :( Really sucks, because I got waitlisted last year with quite a lower GPA and other stats, with a course in progress- and this year my app was much more competitive.. I guess it was just a super competitive year..

I sent you a PM :)

I did not get ANY EMAIL FOR U OF T or WESTERN. I am starting to FREAK OUT!!!!! :( Should I call the schools and make sure they have my application???

I did not get ANY EMAIL FOR U OF T or WESTERN. I am starting to FREAK OUT!!!!! :( Should I call the schools and make sure they have my application???

I didn't get one either. I'm sure it's fine. 

I didn't get one either. I'm sure it's fine. 

Did you apply last year by any chance? A friend of mine did and she did not get an email so she called them about it and they said they screwed up a bunch of re-appliers. It was just your login info and the opportunity to apply for housing.. maybe give them a call if you want your login but I wouldn't worry too much because Im sure they got your application if ORPAS says they did. Also, I go to Western so I can already log on to the system, but everyone else is saying they have yet to hear from them so don't fret!

Edited by Mandaleelocke

okay, yes I re-applied in 2013. I also went to u of t for undergrad so I am not sure if that made a difference. Thanks for the reassurance :P

RE: Mandaleelocke

This is my first year applying. 

I just emailed both schools to make sure, I will let you know what they reply. I really hope it was just a mistake!

I just emailed both schools to make sure, I will let you know what they reply. I really hope it was just a mistake!

RE: Mandaleelocke

This is my first year applying. 

Maybe U of T's email went to junk by mistake? It wasn't marked very clearly. Either way I dont think its a big deal.. but maybe look into it just so you can make sure you have the login info you need to see if you got accepted!