2015 Canadian SLP Thread!

I got into both of my backup college programs! CDA and Autism and Behavioural Science. It's a nice confidence boost, and hopefully will help me get through the next month and a half a little easier :)

I just heard from Dalhousie regarding my transcripts. I had been waitlisted last year and so at that time (in May), I had sent out my final grades. This year, since we are able to reuse documents, I notified them that I would be reusing those transcripts. Now I am finding out that they never received my final grades... This is extremely disappointing considering that could have affected being accepted off the waitlist last year. I even verified with the administration at my school about the day it was sent last year, but Dalhousie still didn't have it on record. Now I have to incur the charges of using a courier to send them again.

I just heard from Dalhousie regarding my transcripts. I had been waitlisted last year and so at that time (in May), I had sent out my final grades. This year, since we are able to reuse documents, I notified them that I would be reusing those transcripts. Now I am finding out that they never received my final grades... This is extremely disappointing considering that could have affected being accepted off the waitlist last year. I even verified with the administration at my school about the day it was sent last year, but Dalhousie still didn't have it on record. Now I have to incur the charges of using a courier to send them again.

Hahah, I think they were sent through Canada post, although I'm not entirely sure.. My school prepares the transcripts and then mails them out themselves after 5 business days. I do have the receipt and they do have it listed as being sent in their system as well. But, Dalhousie insists they don't have them and my school won't take responsibility for it, so I've already gone ahead and paid the charges for a courier to deliver them. It's just unfortunate that it could have affected my chances for admission last year.

I have transcripts from a second institution as well and the two copies were sent on different dates and apparently Dalhousie only received one of those copies as well.. So I really don't have any idea what is going on. But at least for that school, they are covering the charges for a courier.

How did you send them last year? Do you have a receipt from your school saying they sent them? If you can track it down you might be able to say that they have to send them for free because they didn't get there last year. 

Also--- DO NOT USE CANADA POST!!!!!! I'd rather cut off my own legs and have them run my mail across the country then use Canada post.

Edited by let'sgo

Hey all,

This thread is so quiet this week! Any news, anyone? Nothing seems so be moving at McGill, which is totally normal but I keep checking several times a day just in case. ;-)

Speaking of McGill, I heard the department moved from Beatty Hall, where it used to be. Has anyone seen the new site or heard anything about it?

Hi there,

I worked as a research assistant for the SCSD at Beatty Hall last year. They were going through their move/transition during May/June and were set up in their new location by July/August (2014). They're now located at 2001 McGill College. I've been to the new site a couple of times and can say it's definitely a lot better than the old one..! Granted, it doesn't have as much "charm" as BH, but its accessibility and AC (!) make it pretty great! It's located in a financial area/building, while also being not too far from campus. You can get off at the "McGill College" exit, at McGill metro, and walk less than five minutes to get to the building! The whole eight floor is SCSD. It's modern and very office-like lol... I've seen more of the "research" side of it and less of the "school" side of it though.

Best of luck with your applications! :)

Hi there,

I worked as a research assistant for the SCSD at Beatty Hall last year. They were going through their move/transition during May/June and were set up in their new location by July/August (2014). They're now located at 2001 McGill College. I've been to the new site a couple of times and can say it's definitely a lot better than the old one..! Granted, it doesn't have as much "charm" as BH, but its accessibility and AC (!) make it pretty great! It's located in a financial area/building, while also being not too far from campus. You can get off at the "McGill College" exit, at McGill metro, and walk less than five minutes to get to the building! The whole eight floor is SCSD. It's modern and very office-like lol... I've seen more of the "research" side of it and less of the "school" side of it though.

Best of luck with your applications! :)

Thank you papillonbleu22! Are you presently enrolled at McGill, or are you applying for the Applied Masters program for Fall 2015? If so, best of luck to you too!

Hello everyone!

I have applied to SLP at U of T, Western and McGill and I am freaking out! I am new here as I am just looking for some people to share my pain and anxiety.

I am in my fourth year Psych and Linguistics with an ORPAS sub-GPA of 3.94. I have about 200 hours of volunteering with SLPs (but only with kids, none with seniors), 200 paid hours at a speech clinic, and am currently a research assistant in a pragmatics lab at Western. I hope this is enough but who knows.

Ill be checking here frequently to see if anyone hears from McGill soon! Anyone know how many they accept from out of province?

Applied to McGill, U of T, Western

Rejected    0/2    Wait listed  0/2    Accepted   0/2

Applied to McGill, U of T, Western

Rejected    0/2    Wait listed  0/2    Accepted   0/2

Hi and welcome Mandaleelocke!

Well I for one share your pain and anxiety!  ;) Seriously, your GPA and experience sound really competitive! And as for how many people McGill accepts out of province, from what I read on their website, I think they don't have a set number. I think they just accept the 27 or so "best" wherever they come from. Has anyone heard any different?

Good luck with your application!

Hi and welcome Mandaleelocke!

Well I for one share your pain and anxiety!  ;) Seriously, your GPA and experience sound really competitive! And as for how many people McGill accepts out of province, from what I read on their website, I think they don't have a set number. I think they just accept the 27 or so "best" wherever they come from. Has anyone heard any different?

Good luck with your application!

Thank you! Good luck to you as well. And that's good to know about McGill, I always thought it was harder to get in from out of province but I guess McGill is just hard to get into period. 

Thank you! Good luck to you as well. And that's good to know about McGill, I always thought it was harder to get in from out of province but I guess McGill is just hard to get into period.

I think I remember reading that they take students from anywhere, including international students. So I don't think they focus on province. It is harder to get in because it is a smaller class but all schools look for different things. I know someone who was wait-listed at U of T but accepted at McGill (without wait list) a few years ago.

Your stats sound very similar to mine. I am also extremely anxious!

Edited by speechful11

I think I remember reading that they take students from anywhere, including international students. So I don't think they focus on province. It is harder to get in because it is a smaller class but all schools look for different things. I know someone who was wait-listed at U of T but accepted at McGill (without wait list) a few years ago.

Your stats sound very similar to mine. I am also extremely anxious!

Ugh thats both good and bad to hear I guess.. I hate that no one is a sure thing! It's impossible to predict because it seems like its subjective and we never know what they're looking for. 

All we can do is hope for the best now.. I just want to wake up and have it be April already. 

Hello everyone!

I've been getting nervous about the application process,

I was wondering about a backup, does anyone know what the job prospects are like for OT's?

OTs have very good job prospects and in many cases equal or higher salaries than SLPs. The program is also more competitive from what I have heard. Not sure how accurate that is but they do have a lot more applicants. Edited by speechful11

What about CDAs? How are their job prospects? 

Scary to think of back-up plans, but I probably should >.< 

Hello everyone!

I've been getting nervous about the application process,

I was wondering about a backup, does anyone know what the job prospects are like for OT's?

OTs have a very similar outlook and pay to SLP. It is also really competitive, but I would say a bit less so than SLP, in some ways. I applied to 3 schools for SLP and 3 for OT. For those schools OT acceptance rates are like 6%-11% and SLP are 9%-13%. Despite that, it seems like lower GPAs are accepted for OT. McMaster did interviews last year for people over 3.5 GPA, I think. 

CDA is different. The job outlook is pretty good, but it isn't a nation-wide career yet. I don't think it's very common to see CDAs outside of Ontario and Alberta. They make around $20/hour. 

OT applications were due in January. I think some CDA programs are still open, but they've started acceptances already. And backups are great, but it's worth working on getting into SLP for a few years, if it's what you really want. 

...but it's worth working on getting into SLP for a few years, if it's what you really want. 

Definitely going to try for SLP for few years, but it's just so scary that it might not work out. So many amazing applicants just don't make the cut :(

It's very inspiring to go into threads from past years and see people who've applied year after year and finally made it happen though  :) 

Definitely going to try for SLP for few years, but it's just so scary that it might not work out. So many amazing applicants just don't make the cut :(

It's very inspiring to go into threads from past years and see people who've applied year after year and finally made it happen though   :)

Exactly! It's highly competitive and it sucks that some people who would make great SLP's don't get in. I unfortunately, financially can only apply once, and can only apply to one school in my area. That's why backups are needed for me.

The thing with OT is I think it is majority working with elderly patients, there is not as much for pediatrics from what I hear. Has anyone heard differently? 

Exactly! It's highly competitive and it sucks that some people who would make great SLP's don't get in. I unfortunately, financially can only apply once, and can only apply to one school in my area. That's why backups are needed for me.

The thing with OT is I think it is majority working with elderly patients, there is not as much for pediatrics from what I hear. Has anyone heard differently? 

I think the majority of work is working with the elderly yes; my nephew is currently seeing an OT for poor dexterity and writing skills, but I feel like cases like his are much more rare than those of older stroke victims, Parkinson's patients etc.

I don't know about that. I went to an OT with my daughter for a year when she was in 3rd grade. The OT did all kinds of games and exercises with her to increase her muscle strength in general, but with an emphasis on her neck, shoulders, etc. It greatly helped with her posture when she works at her desk and the way she holds her pencil. That was a pediatric OT clinic. I loved the way they worked, their treatment plans, etc. I even considered applying to an OT program, but it had more basic science prerequisites than I was willing to do.

Edited by 2015hopeful