2015 Canadian SLP Thread!

Be careful if you apply to American schools.  Some of them can get quite expensive for international students. 

Question: Is it hard to find a job after graduating from a Canadian program in the school/private setting?

Canada has a tendency to prioritize their own graduands when it comes to hiring procedures provided they stay in the area for an indefinite amount of period, based on what I noticed. This happened to a few graduands of University of Toronto and Dalhousie. I also think that if you show commitment and impress your supervisors, they can vouch for you. I know one who now works at the same school district she completed her externship. Another also works at a hospital.

Edited by Articklish

Does anyone know what schools accept an additional reference letter? (As in a reference letter from someone other than the required academic/professional references)

Thanks!

I know that Dal accepts additional reference letters. On the application you have the option to include up to 4 referees. 

Does anyone know if you apply for the thesis track option at University of Alberta if it removes your chances of being accepted into the course based option as well? Like can you only apply for one or the other as opposed to both?

I'm wondering if applying for the thesis route will help my chances of getting in, but I don't want it to mean that I'm out of the running for the course based option. Anyone have any information about that? Thank you!

Does anyone know if you apply for the thesis track option at University of Alberta if it removes your chances of being accepted into the course based option as well? Like can you only apply for one or the other as opposed to both?

I'm wondering if applying for the thesis route will help my chances of getting in, but I don't want it to mean that I'm out of the running for the course based option. Anyone have any information about that? Thank you!

I believe that you can apply for the thesis route once you are accepted into/have started the program - the U of A application only allows you to choose the course-based option when applying. You can read more about it here: https://rehabilitation.ualberta.ca/departments/communication-sciences-and-disorders/msc-in-speech-language-pathology/msc-slp-thesis-based-option

I think it would a good idea to state the area of your research interests in your letter of intent though.

I believe that you can apply for the thesis route once you are accepted into/have started the program - the U of A application only allows you to choose the course-based option when applying. You can read more about it here: https://rehabilitation.ualberta.ca/departments/communication-sciences-and-disorders/msc-in-speech-language-pathology/msc-slp-thesis-based-option

I think it would a good idea to state the area of your research interests in your letter of intent though.

Amazing thank you!

Does anyone know the what gpa conversion scale University of Alberta uses? I found this one online but its not really reliable: http://www.efs.ualberta.ca/Intranet/~/media/English%20and%20Film%20Studies/Documents/Instructor/GradingChart.pdf

I've been bombarding U of A with so many questions lately that I want to see if anyone here can help me first :)

Thanks!

Do American grades need to be calculated/converted to Canadian grades since I'm aware that they have different grading systems.  I debating of applying to a school in Ontario.

• 2 weeks later...

I am applying to McGil as well.  Does anyone know where to upload our info as i don't see it on my application.  Thanks

Once you submit your personal information, your referee info, and your payment, it takes you back to the application screen. Then you can upload additional documents. I'm having a bit of trouble opening the PDF form under "Additional Documents Required," though! It appears that the link doesn't work. Has anyone else had this problem?

Edited by toriec

Once you submit your personal information, your referee info, and your payment, it takes you back to the application screen. Then you can upload additional documents. I'm having a bit of trouble opening the PDF form under "Additional Documents Required," though! It appears that the link doesn't work. Has anyone else had this problem?

Oh okay, thanks toriec, i figured as much.  Yes, i am having that problem as well.

Oh okay, thanks toriec, i figured as much.  Yes, i am having that problem as well.

I used the question feature on the application and they told me that the form is available here: http://www.mcgill.ca/scsd/programs/slp/how-apply/application. It appears that you need to download it from that page. It's the second bullet point. I hope that helps!

Hello friends! I am just wondering how everyone's applications are going? Are all the Canadian applications open now other than U of A? I'm already getting anxious

:blink:

Hello friends! I am just wondering how everyone's applications are going? Are all the Canadian applications open now other than U of A? I'm already getting anxious

Yes, they are all open for Ontario and McGill! Mine are going slowly and definitely lots of anxiety building up

Hi everyone,

does anyone happen to know what a competitive GPA would be to get into U of T or Western? I know that it is the whole package that counts, but in my case, I feel like my GPA would be my lowest point (I have great references, and lots of volunteer experience). I am hoping to have a 3.8 GPA according to ORPAS, however, one of the professors for my classes is a very hard marker and basically told me that most people do not get above an 85 in the course. If I get a lower mark in that particular course, my GPA will drop to 3.79. I know that it is so minimal of a drop, but I am so worried as I have no clue what is even considered a competitive mark. 

Thanks!! :)

Hi everyone,

does anyone happen to know what a competitive GPA would be to get into U of T or Western? I know that it is the whole package that counts, but in my case, I feel like my GPA would be my lowest point (I have great references, and lots of volunteer experience). I am hoping to have a 3.8 GPA according to ORPAS, however, one of the professors for my classes is a very hard marker and basically told me that most people do not get above an 85 in the course. If I get a lower mark in that particular course, my GPA will drop to 3.79. I know that it is so minimal of a drop, but I am so worried as I have no clue what is even considered a competitive mark. 

I think as a general statement a 3.5 or higher is considered competitive for most (if not all) schools. You will probably be fine, especially if you have great references and volunteer experience. 

I am finding it difficult to write personal statements. Everything I write sounds so stupid, so I erase it and start over again. It's a never ending cycle :( 

Hi all,

Does anyone know how to get in touch with ORPAS to ask them a question regarding your application? Is reaching them by telephone really the only way? I heard of a messaging tool called “SAM”, but I’m having trouble finding/accessing it on their website. In the mean-time, I was wondering if someone could maybe answer my question here..!

I’m not sure how to answer this question in the “Academic History” section; “Type of degree: Less than a year, Summer, Exchange, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Graduate level”. I’m from Quebec and have never really heard of an undergraduate degree being ranked by a number… :unsure:

Thank you in advance!

Edited by papillonbleu22

Hi everyone,

From what I've heard, 3.7 is the minimum that U of T will take

From what I've heard, 3.7 is the minimum that U of T will take

I don't think that is the case. Last year's cut off was about 3.6 (and I think 3.3 the year before that?). I also know from speaking to someone in the admissions committee that people with less that 3.6 have been accepted (not sure how much lower than 3.6 but it has happened). I am also not sure under what circumstances.

Edited by speechful11

This is what I find so confusing. I just wish they would post the average GPA of people who got accepted. Obviously everyone knows that GPA isnt the only thing, but it is such a huge part (especially for U of T), I would like to know what I should strive for to be competitive!

Hi all,

Does anyone know how to get in touch with ORPAS to ask them a question regarding your application? Is reaching them by telephone really the only way? I heard of a messaging tool called “SAM”, but I’m having trouble finding/accessing it on their website. In the mean-time, I was wondering if someone could maybe answer my question here..!

I’m not sure how to answer this question in the “Academic History” section; “Type of degree: Less than a year, Summer, Exchange, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Graduate level”. I’m from Quebec and have never really heard of an undergraduate degree being ranked by a number… :unsure:

Thank you in advance!

I was given this email address when I called in.. orpas@ouac.on.ca. They did answer me, so I would try that. :)

Hi all,

Thank you in advance!

Wouldn't that be for the number of years of the degree? Please post what they say! I am wondering now too.

Wouldn't that be for the number of years of the degree? Please post what they say! I am wondering now too.

Thank you for letting me know about the e-mail address! I e-mailed them today and got an answer within less than two hours! You were right! The question refers to how many years it took to complete the degree. ;)

Good! Thanks!

Thank you for letting me know about the e-mail address! I e-mailed them today and got an answer within less than two hours! You were right! The question refers to how many years it took to complete the degree. ;)

Hey everyone,

I'm new to this thread and I am applying for the second time to a couple of schools in Canada. Does anyone happen to know if we can ask UBC to bring forth our letters of reference from last years applications? I know that U of A does give you this option but I have not been able to find anything about this on the UBC website for the SLP program.

Thanks!