2015 Canadian SLP Thread!

It sounds as if you really threw yourself into the idea of reapplying!! I hope you get in! I think that is part of what is holding me back is that I know I didn't bounce back with as much vigor as I expected. The first rejection really brought me down and I didn't want to even think about redoing classes or doing more volunteering. I did enjoy my paid work in the field this summer, and I know I have a good reference letter coming from that so I think I am going to apply again so as not to waste it. However, if I don't make it this time then I don't think I'll be applying a third time. I am enjoying my Autism and Behavioural Science certificate a lot, and although I know it is slightly emotional and irrational of me, but I feel as though Speech Language Pathology doesn't want me and the autism field does. I feel as though with SLP I am chasing a pipe dream and letting other real opportunities pass me by. I hope I am not bringing others down, I am just looking to see if others feel the way I do. Why is this program so difficult to get into? Even med school accepts 14% of applicants!  

Meggie, I feel the same way you do.  I am getting old.  This will be my second time i am applying.  I don't know why the program is difficult to get into.  I am also applying to a masters program in behaviour science as my back plan.  I have read about it and it seems i would like it too.  It is funny how you talk about med school.  Med school is difficult to get into, and i have seen a lot of med students who don't get into med school apply for SLP and get in due to their high GPA and science background i guess. A classmate of mine had a 4.0 gpa, and didn't get into med school, and her uncle told her to try SLP, and she got in easily.  A friend of mine who did the SLP program at U of T also mentioned that most of them planned to go to med school, but couldn't get in and they got into SLP.  Something for the rest of us to think about.  lol  

Meggie, I feel the same way you do.  I am getting old.  This will be my second time i am applying.  I don't know why the program is difficult to get into.  I am also applying to a masters program in behaviour science as my back plan.  I have read about it and it seems i would like it too.  It is funny how you talk about med school.  Med school is difficult to get into, and i have seen a lot of med students who don't get into med school apply for SLP and get in due to their high GPA and science background i guess. A classmate of mine had a 4.0 gpa, and didn't get into med school, and her uncle told her to try SLP, and she got in easily.  A friend of mine who did the SLP program at U of T also mentioned that most of them planned to go to med school, but couldn't get in and they got into SLP.  Something for the rest of us to think about.  lol  

Haha so it's all those would-be doctors inching us out! I see how it is. :P I guess I should have done pre-med!

I have a question: for people who are still in university, how much volunteer work do you usually do every week? I've been doing 4 hours a week and it's definitely adding up, but I can't help but feel like I won't stand a chance against people who aren't in school and have more time to devote to volunteering. This entire process is so stressful and I can't help but worry I'm not doing enough! Does anyone else feel the same way?

I have a question: for people who are still in university, how much volunteer work do you usually do every week? I've been doing 4 hours a week and it's definitely adding up, but I can't help but feel like I won't stand a chance against people who aren't in school and have more time to devote to volunteering. This entire process is so stressful and I can't help but worry I'm not doing enough! Does anyone else feel the same way?

It is definitely super stressful - I manage to volunteer 6 hours a week while in my final year. I don't think that will make you feel better but I think it is possible to juggle a lot if you try to remember it is almost over! Just try not to get too stressed. Everyone has different experiences and different lives and admissions people will see that. Edited by speechful11

I am one of those who need a bit more time to study so my volunteering isn't as high on my priority list unlike before. I learned the hard way during freshman that if I take on more hours, my grades start to take a beating. Balance is key. I'm content with the amount I earned and I hope admissions can gauge the quality of what I gained from them in my SOPs.

There's a SLP who graduated from UfT and she said she only had 25 hours and was accepted so it all comes down to grades it seems.

I am one of those who need a bit more time to study so my volunteering isn't as high on my priority list unlike before. I learned the hard way during freshman that if I take on more hours, my grades start to take a beating. Balance is key. I'm content with the amount I earned and I hope admissions can gauge the quality of what I gained from them in my SOPs.

There's a SLP who graduated from UfT and she said she only had 25 hours and was accepted so it all comes down to grades it seems.

lol it seems that everyone always has different stories. My friend who is in her second year at U of T said her GPA was just 1 point above the cut off, and she did not have a lot of SLP volunteer experience but a TON in other fields plus other clinical experience and she thinks that's what helped... Who knows!

I think it depends on what school you are applying to.. I know for U of T grades are more important, but for Western I hear they look more at the volunteer experience. I think the big thing is trying to spread it out..different populations rather than the total amount of hours.

Thanks everyone! My grades are quite high so I'm kind of hoping that will give me an advantage, for certain schools at least. I'm hoping to get some experience working with adults soon, as all my volunteer experience has been with kids so far!

Thanks everyone! My grades are quite high so I'm kind of hoping that will give me an advantage, for certain schools at least. I'm hoping to get some experience working with adults soon, as all my volunteer experience has been with kids so far!

I have been thinking my grades (for my last two years) are high too but all that matters is where you fall with other applicants... Again, I am alwas wishing I knew what to expect lol. My overall GPA isn't super high but I hope all that matters (for McGill, Western, and U of T) are really my last two yrs. :-s Edited by speechful11

Is anyone planning on applying to University of Maine? If so, do you know the prospects of getting a job in Canada?

Also, what is the actual degree considered there? A Masters of Arts? Their website is not very helpful haha :(

Is anyone planning on applying to University of Maine? If so, do you know the prospects of getting a job in Canada?

From what I learned after speaking with Employment Ontario officers (and this applies to all jobs), Canadian employers tend to prioritize Canadian graduates first in the hiring process because they have local experience.  If UMaine does have externship connections in Canada, I think that will help overcome that barrier, so it's something you may want to inquire. If not, be aware that you may potentially encounter it at some point when coming back. Still, I've met a few ASHA certified and internationally trained SLP's and they were all able to secure employment. They all started out in private practice. Of course, that trend may differ depending on your location.

Edited by Articklish

Has anyone noticed that U of A increased what they consider as a "competitive GPA"? It now states 3.7, up from 3.5 previously. (They've also increased the minimum GPA required to apply - it used to be 3.0, and it's now 3.3) I realize that this is on par with other Canadian schools, but seeing it in writing still makes me so nervous!

I'm curious though, do any of you know anyone with a 3.7/3.8 or higher sGPA and have gotten rejected?

I just noticed the U of A online application is no longer available until November 21st. I had originally thought it opened on the 1st and then noticed it said the 15th and now the 21st.... I wonder why they are pushing it back? 

Hello, Everyone!

I am having a bit of a dilemma about applying to SLP this year. I applied last year (UWO, U of T, McGill and Dal) and did not get accepted. I began a graduate certificate in Autism and Behavioural Sciences with the intention of reapplying to SLP this year, however I am extremely discouraged. I only have two things to add to my application this year : my new graduate certificate (which they barely look at) and paid work experience in a speech and audiology clinic this summer. 

I honestly am unsure if this will help me enough to get in this round and I don't know if it is worth the time/effort and money of applying again only to be rejected. I entered university with the goal of becoming an SLP in mind but it just seems like it won't happen. 

If you have applied multiple times how have you had the motivation to keep at it and not get discouraged? 

Seriously Meggle, I'm not entirely sure that it wasn't me who wrote all of your posts. 

I didn't get in last year, after having profs and SLPs tell me that there was no chance I wouldn't. 

Not getting in discouraged me SO much. I'm giving it one more try. 

I have great grades, but I'm taking a few more courses this year to try to get it even higher. I volunteered more, I started working with a little girl with autism on her language 2 hours a week. I'm working on getting better reference letters, because I don't think one of mine was too good last time. I'm trying really hard to get volunteer hours at a psych lab at school, and I think I got a position that will be starting in a few weeks. I took some more pre-reqs, so I can apply to more schools this year, and some different programs. 

I SHOULD have re-done my GRE, but I just don't have time. I also know I should get different SLP volunteer hours, because I only have them with kids. 

It's exhausting. Being rejected is just exhausting. But if it's what you really want, you've gotta keep trying. I feel like this last year has just been a waste, and I just want to feel like I'm finally working towards something. 

I'm applying to U of T, Western, Dal and McGill for SLP, Dal for AUD, U of T for OT and, as a backup, St. Lawrence for CDA. 

Seriously Meggle, I'm not entirely sure that it wasn't me who wrote all of your posts.

I didn't get in last year, after having profs and SLPs tell me that there was no chance I wouldn't.

Not getting in discouraged me SO much. I'm giving it one more try.

I have great grades, but I'm taking a few more courses this year to try to get it even higher. I volunteered more, I started working with a little girl with autism on her language 2 hours a week. I'm working on getting better reference letters, because I don't think one of mine was too good last time. I'm trying really hard to get volunteer hours at a psych lab at school, and I think I got a position that will be starting in a few weeks. I took some more pre-reqs, so I can apply to more schools this year, and some different programs.

I SHOULD have re-done my GRE, but I just don't have time. I also know I should get different SLP volunteer hours, because I only have them with kids.

It's exhausting. Being rejected is just exhausting. But if it's what you really want, you've gotta keep trying. I feel like this last year has just been a waste, and I just want to feel like I'm finally working towards something.

I'm applying to U of T, Western, Dal and McGill for SLP, Dal for AUD, U of T for OT and, as a backup, St. Lawrence for CDA.

Hi bekcyfitz,

If you don't mind me asking - what were your stats like the first time you applied (roughly, if you would rather not share exact details)? No one has really been able to tell me what makes one likely to get in (other than a perfect GPA). One of the faculty at U of T told me a lot of the time whoever was chosen and who was wait-listed was "luck"... Which worries me because that's definitely one thing we can't control.

Edited by speechful11

Hi bekcyfitz,

If you don't mind me asking - what were your stats like the first time you applied (roughly, if you would rather not share exact details)? No one has really been able to tell me what makes one likely to get in (other than a perfect GPA). One of the faculty at U of T told me a lot of the time whoever was chosen and who was wait-listed was "luck"... Which worries me because that's definitely one thing we can't control.

Mine is a little different, because I have a degree from 2008 and have been taking courses the last few years. I found out through this forum that not all of my newer courses might have been counted at Dal. So, that may have affected it. I emailed them about that today. 

I was told that it would look good that I have a degree, without great grades, but that once I decided I wanted to do SLP I got only As. And that I took a break and worked for a few years and then decided to go back to school for SLP. 

My subgpa was 3.68 last year. I had I think like 50 volunteer hours. I had at least one fantastic reference letter, from a prof who is also an SLP. I realize now that it wasn't an overly competitive application, but I had been told that I'd be a shoe-in. I was rejected from Dal for SLP and AUD and also McGill. 

Mine is a little different, because I have a degree from 2008 and have been taking courses the last few years. I found out through this forum that not all of my newer courses might have been counted at Dal. So, that may have affected it. I emailed them about that today. 

I was told that it would look good that I have a degree, without great grades, but that once I decided I wanted to do SLP I got only As. And that I took a break and worked for a few years and then decided to go back to school for SLP. 

My subgpa was 3.68 last year. I had I think like 50 volunteer hours. I had at least one fantastic reference letter, from a prof who is also an SLP. I realize now that it wasn't an overly competitive application, but I had been told that I'd be a shoe-in. I was rejected from Dal for SLP and AUD and also McGill. 

Hey Becky,

I just wanted to say that I am in a similar situation, and it is very difficult not to get discouraged. I applied last year to U of T, Mcgill, and Western and didn't get in. My sGPA was 3.75, I had great references, and I had volunteered for 20 hours with and SLP (hundreds of hours with related volunteer work not supervised by an SLP). It was so hard to get those rejection letters. However, not getting in has allowed me to volunteer with an SLP for 100 hours, become a research assistant, get a job for Autism Services, and, currently, teach English abroad. I hope for the best this round of applications, and I think that the fact that we didn't get in the first time will make us appreciate it more when we do (please let the 'getting in' part be true).

Hi beckyfitz

I assume you found out that Dalhousie doesn't take "grade boosting" courses that aren't at the 3rd or 4th year level? (I *think* I remember reading that but I am not applying there). I do think that being a more mature applicant gives you an advantage because of life experience, but I also think that being below 3.7 makes it very difficult as many applicants will have 3.8's and higher and there's so few spots. It's incredibly competitive. But it is good that you gained more experience and hopefully are now above 3.7 - that should give you a boost. :)

Edited by speechful11

I'm applying to audiology programs for the third time around. Last year I had been waitlisted at uOttawa and spent my summer waiting and waiting and driving myself nuts. This year I am debating what to do exactly. 

The first time around I had applied to Western and Dal (before the GRE was necessary) and last year just to Western and Ottawa. This year I've since taken another course, and by January should have finished another. I've been working full time in audiology for 2 years now so I have tons of experience. I'm upping my volunteer hours with committees and coaching to be more well-rounded. 

Debating whether I can squeeze in the GRE in January so I can apply to Dalhousie, and how worth it it would be. Wondering if Western is just marks based and I should just forget about it? And considering the hearing instrument practitioner program, a bit of a step down but I will at least have a pretty good scope of practice in the field, but will definitely be limited as to the populations I can work with.

Arggh. People think SLP is tough to get in, try having maybe a quarter of the seats across the country!

Hi beckyfitz

I assume you found out that Dalhousie doesn't take "grade boosting" courses that aren't at the 3rd or 4th year level? (I *think* I remember reading that but I am not applying there). I do think that being a more mature applicant gives you an advantage because of life experience, but I also think that being below 3.7 makes it very difficult as many applicants will have 3.8's and higher and there's so few spots. It's incredibly competitive. But it is good that you gained more experience and hopefully are now above 3.7 - that should give you a boost. :)

Yeah, I recently saw that about Dal and have emailed them but haven't heard back. It's really frustrating, because that's where I want to go. My undergrad is from Dal, and that's where I want to live. 

Last time my sgpa was just under 3.7, but my profs thought I would still get in because all of my new grades, since my degree, (all but three as of last time) were As. They thought that schools would take into consideration that my grades improved so much after I decided to go into SLP. 

This time it'll be at least 3.8, so I've got a much better chance. Plus more volunteer and work experience in related areas. And better references. 

It's just hard to be positive about applications, but I'm just going to get them in and forget about it, haha. And have some backups. 

Debating whether I can squeeze in the GRE in January so I can apply to Dalhousie, and how worth it it would be. Wondering if Western is just marks based and I should just forget about it? And considering the hearing instrument practitioner program, a bit of a step down but I will at least have a pretty good scope of practice in the field, but will definitely be limited as to the populations I can work with.

Taking the GRE will expand your application net in the States as well. Did you apply to American schools that don't need the GRE? Something to consider too.

Edited by Articklish

I am still on the fence about applying to a few schools. I know that McGill is very research-based & Alberta is quite clinical-focused. Does anyone have some insights into what the programs at Toronto, Western Ontario, or Dalhousie are like?

Thanks in advance! :)

Oh, and just thought I'd update anyone that's interested in applying to U of A - just checked their website, and the applications have been pushed back AGAIN. Looks like we can't start the online application until December now. I wonder how this might affect their Jan. 15th deadline...

Edited by sweaterweather

I am still on the fence about applying to a few schools. I know that McGill is very research-based & Alberta is quite clinical-focused. Does anyone have some insights into what the programs at Toronto, Western Ontario, or Dalhousie are like?

Thanks in advance! :)

Oh, and just thought I'd update anyone that's interested in applying to U of A - just checked their website, and the applications have been pushed back AGAIN. Looks like we can't start the online application until December now. I wonder how this might affect their Jan. 15th deadline...

Wow that's really late.... I wonder what's going on with their application? I don't see how pushing the date back could be beneficial to them unless they are having problems with the application or they are making changes to it? 

Is anyone else applying to Dal and using the online method? I'm a bit confused about if you can submit all your documents there or if you still have to mail most of them. I've been struggling with the site for days!

And I'm also kind of confused about why Alberta keeps pushing their date back! I just want to get everything done and hopefully have a somewhat relaxing Christmas!