2015 Canadian SLP Thread!

Is anyone else applying to Dal and using the online method? I'm a bit confused about if you can submit all your documents there or if you still have to mail most of them. I've been struggling with the site for days!

And I'm also kind of confused about why Alberta keeps pushing their date back! I just want to get everything done and hopefully have a somewhat relaxing Christmas!

I'm almost positive you have to mail all the supplementary forms directly to the SHCD. That's what I did last year... You can only submit the basic application online. Once they receive your documents they will update your online application to show that they have it!

I'm almost positive you have to mail all the supplementary forms directly to the SHCD. That's what I did last year... You can only submit the basic application online. Once they receive your documents they will update your online application to show that they have it!

Thanks! It seems like that's what I'll have to do. It feels so old school compared to ORPAS and McGill :P

Hi! Does anyone know if we can list research assistant experiences in the "other volunteer experiences" of the ORPAS application? Is it better to talk about them in the personal statement?

I asked ORPAS and they said it is up to the university but I was wondering if anyone had any advice.

Edited by speechful11

Hi! Does anyone know if we can list research assistant experiences in the "other volunteer experiences" of the ORPAS application? Is it better to talk about them in the personal statement?

I asked ORPAS and they said it is up to the university but I was wondering if anyone had any advice.

I have a similar question, if something is completely relevant to the feild (Work with Autism services) Where can I put it if I got paid(its not technically volunteering)?

Also, has anyone else noticed on ORPAS that you can choose if the volunteer experience is with SLP/AUD or "other volunteer experience", but even if you choose related volunteer experience it asks you "activities supervised by Aud/SLP". This is rather confusing to me.

I have a similar question, if something is completely relevant to the feild (Work with Autism services) Where can I put it if I got paid(its not technically volunteering)?

Also, has anyone else noticed on ORPAS that you can choose if the volunteer experience is with SLP/AUD or "other volunteer experience", but even if you choose related volunteer experience it asks you "activities supervised by Aud/SLP". This is rather confusing to me.

I didn't notice the latter part of your comment. That is confusing. I don't want to put down things in the wrong place and appear as if I don't know how to read instructions. :-x Edited by speechful11

Can't seem to find any audiology forums so I'm going to post here and hope there are any people trying for audiology.

I'm applying to audiology at Western and U of O. My cummulative GPA = 3.7 and my GPA = 3.48. Currently, I have about 120 volunteer hours at an Otolaryngology research facility it was their that I did my bachelors honours project focusing on hearing loss. However, I am worried about getting in due to my GPA. 

As anyone gotten in with such a low GPA?

thanks

Hi everyone! I'm a University of Calgary student and applicant :)

I was wondering if anyone knew what the conversion from U of C grades to other schools were. In a lot of my classes, the way the marking was is a lot different than the general GPA conversions (i.e generally I see that an A- is 80-84% but in my classes an A- was 90-92 percent...) so I was wondering if that will in any way affect my GPA or maybe boost it as far as other schools go? 

Thanks and good luck :)

P.S I am applying to U of A, Western and U of T for the SLP program. 

Hi there, everyone. 

I'm grateful I found this forum and I was wondering about any suggestions or advice you guys have about my situation. I'm a graduate of Memorial University in Newfoundland with a B.A. in Linguistics and am interested in doing S-LP as a career, however, while doing my degree I didn't tailor it so that I would have certain prerequisite courses completed for doing any Master's programs (ex: Statistics, other Psychology courses, etc.) I would like to attend Dalhousie in Nova Scotia (or maybe McGill, or even considering universities in the United States), but my GPA isn't the greatest (Overall GPA: 2.87, or 2.9 on a 4.0 scale). I have job-shadowed a Speech Therapist where I live and have talked to another for completing volunteer hours but the way things worked out for me I didn't get to volunteer at her clinic. I do have copies of my transcripts sent to Dalhousie as well as two professors writing references for me, but I'm at the point now thinking that I should wait until later to apply in order to have a better application. At the same time, I have also applied for the JET Programme, which would allow me to go and teach English in Japan for one year (or longer, depending on how things go). I would hear back from JET around the same time the deadline is for Dal to see if I make it into the interview stage and at this moment, I'm just not sure on what to do. I apologize for writing such a long post (even then I probably left out details by mistake), perhaps you guys could help me out? 

Thank you. 

Hi speechful and kats, when I applied last year, I think I listed my other volunteer experiences (research assistant, volunteer at a hospital with geriatric population) and also described the more relevant ones in more detail in my personal statement. For paid experiences, I just described them in my personal statement. I don't quite remember what I indicated for 'activities supervised by aud/SLP', but I do remember writing a short sentence to describe what the position involved to make it more clear. If anything, you can probably indicate N/A.

Hi there, everyone. 

I'm grateful I found this forum and I was wondering about any suggestions or advice you guys have about my situation. I'm a graduate of Memorial University in Newfoundland with a B.A. in Linguistics and am interested in doing S-LP as a career, however, while doing my degree I didn't tailor it so that I would have certain prerequisite courses completed for doing any Master's programs (ex: Statistics, other Psychology courses, etc.) I would like to attend Dalhousie in Nova Scotia (or maybe McGill, or even considering universities in the United States), but my GPA isn't the greatest (Overall GPA: 2.87, or 2.9 on a 4.0 scale). I have job-shadowed a Speech Therapist where I live and have talked to another for completing volunteer hours but the way things worked out for me I didn't get to volunteer at her clinic. I do have copies of my transcripts sent to Dalhousie as well as two professors writing references for me, but I'm at the point now thinking that I should wait until later to apply in order to have a better application. At the same time, I have also applied for the JET Programme, which would allow me to go and teach English in Japan for one year (or longer, depending on how things go). I would hear back from JET around the same time the deadline is for Dal to see if I make it into the interview stage and at this moment, I'm just not sure on what to do. I apologize for writing such a long post (even then I probably left out details by mistake), perhaps you guys could help me out? 

Thank you. 

Hi AngeSim, I think you're on the right track since you've already shadowed an SLP. As for not having completed some prerequisite classes during your undergrad, you can always take them as an independent student afterwards. I was in the same situation, so I took classes part-time (linguistics, a biology class to fulfill the physiology criteria for certain schools, and a stats class) for 2 years while I worked on getting more research and volunteering. From my experience, taking those classes really helped me feel more prepared this semester (I'm currently in the program at McGill), and the extra SLP-related experiences made my application much stronger the second time that I applied. 

As for your pending teaching position, off the top of my head there are at least 2 people in the program now who taught English for a few years before applying. I don't think that it's a bad thing to postpone applying to the program to gain different skills. If anything, your teaching experiences might set you apart from the people who apply straight out of undergrad.

If you have any other questions, or want to know more about the program at McGill, don't hesitate to ask! 

Can't seem to find any audiology forums so I'm going to post here and hope there are any people trying for audiology.

I'm applying to audiology at Western and U of O. My cummulative GPA = 3.7 and my GPA = 3.48. Currently, I have about 120 volunteer hours at an Otolaryngology research facility it was their that I did my bachelors honours project focusing on hearing loss. However, I am worried about getting in due to my GPA. 

As anyone gotten in with such a low GPA?

thanks

HI Fey+Fay

in your GPA in the last 20 credits a 3.7, or 3.48? I think your are very competitive since you also have the volunteering experience and your project are audiology oriented. 

Thanks MtlGal, that's good advice :)

Also, U of A states on the website that the application opened Yesterday, but I still can't apply? I really have no idea what is happening to their application..

Thanks MtlGal, that's good advice :)

Also, U of A states on the website that the application opened Yesterday, but I still can't apply? I really have no idea what is happening to their application..

I had the same problem yesterday... the application said to come back on the 3rd but it was the third. I might email them today and see what's going on.

I had the same problem yesterday... the application said to come back on the 3rd but it was the third. I might email them today and see what's going on.

The online application page now says to check back on Friday the 5th. So frustrating!

On the ORPAS application, volunteer experiences ask for duration and site population. I have been under the assumption that duration is the number of hours per day or week and that site population is senior, adult, child, etc. Is this correct? Thanks!

Does anyone know where i can take the U of T prerequisite courses?

This is what it says on their pre-req page:

"Athabasca University offers all of our required pre-requisites via distance education, with the exception of phonetics.  The link can be found on our website at http://www.slp.utoronto.ca/admissions/prerequisites/athabasca/

The University of Alberta offers an online phonetics course (LING 205: PHONETICS). To find out more information http://www.registrarsoffice.ualberta.ca/en/SpecialRegistrations/OpenStudies.aspx"

Hope this helps.

On ORPAS it asks us for the prerequisite course URL. What exactly are they asking for? So far as I know, there isn't really a website for any of the classes I took. I've already graduated, so any online course websites are taken down. There is a list of all courses offered for each department with a brief description, should I link them to that? Or just put N/A? 

This is what it says on their pre-req page:

"Athabasca University offers all of our required pre-requisites via distance education, with the exception of phonetics.  The link can be found on our website at http://www.slp.utoronto.ca/admissions/prerequisites/athabasca/

The University of Alberta offers an online phonetics course (LING 205: PHONETICS). To find out more information http://www.registrarsoffice.ualberta.ca/en/SpecialRegistrations/OpenStudies.aspx"

Hope this helps.

Thanks sweaterweather, i actually saw this after i posted the message.  Thanks

On ORPAS it asks us for the prerequisite course URL. What exactly are they asking for? So far as I know, there isn't really a website for any of the classes I took. I've already graduated, so any online course websites are taken down. There is a list of all courses offered for each department with a brief description, should I link them to that? Or just put N/A? 

I emailed them about this, and they said that they want a course outline if available. Mine are also not in URL format, but if you have them in doc you can convert them to URL online. It may be okay to give the URL to  the course catelog as long as it has some information on the course and not just the course title.

Hi AngeSim, I think you're on the right track since you've already shadowed an SLP. As for not having completed some prerequisite classes during your undergrad, you can always take them as an independent student afterwards. I was in the same situation, so I took classes part-time (linguistics, a biology class to fulfill the physiology criteria for certain schools, and a stats class) for 2 years while I worked on getting more research and volunteering. From my experience, taking those classes really helped me feel more prepared this semester (I'm currently in the program at McGill), and the extra SLP-related experiences made my application much stronger the second time that I applied. 

As for your pending teaching position, off the top of my head there are at least 2 people in the program now who taught English for a few years before applying. I don't think that it's a bad thing to postpone applying to the program to gain different skills. If anything, your teaching experiences might set you apart from the people who apply straight out of undergrad.

If you have any other questions, or want to know more about the program at McGill, don't hesitate to ask! 

Ah, I'm sorry for the late reply but I wanted to say thank you for your suggestions/advice. I'm currently looking at different university pre-reqs (McGill, University of Toronto and University of Western Ontario) and trying to see if I can take some/all of them at Memorial in the Winter Semester. Still not sure about how many courses I'll take at a time and if I can do them by Distance (with Memorial or Athabasca), or if I'll have to go back to campus again. I'm hoping that if I get to take courses again that they will bring up my GPA as well as prepare me for a Speech program. I feel as though my brain has to tackle many things at once and figure out a plan for each possible scenario and while that's driving me a little crazy, I know that I'm not totally lost. I just have to tackle one thing at a time and everything will fall into place, somehow. Sorry for the mini-rant, just wanted to let you know, thanks for the help and that I appreciate it!  :)

I emailed them about this, and they said that they want a course outline if available. Mine are also not in URL format, but if you have them in doc you can convert them to URL online. It may be okay to give the URL to the course catelog as long as it has some information on the course and not just the course title.

I wonder how they can check that it is legitimate if it is a just a doc you created and uploaded online? Or how exactly did you mean? I am having trouble with this too. I have only been able to find two course websites. Otherwise it takes people to the course catalogue where they have to do a course search. Edited by speechful11

I emailed them about this, and they said that they want a course outline if available. Mine are also not in URL format, but if you have them in doc you can convert them to URL online. It may be okay to give the URL to  the course catelog as long as it has some information on the course and not just the course title.

Thanks! I do have some of them still in doc, but I definitely don't have all of them. One of my prereqs is four years old so I definitely don't have that one. I will try emailing them about the course catelog. 

EDIT: I can't find an email contact for someone from ORPAS to ask.... am I blind? Does anyone know? 

Edited by TotallyOriginalUsername

Thanks! I do have some of them still in doc, but I definitely don't have all of them. One of my prereqs is four years old so I definitely don't have that one. I will try emailing them about the course catelog. 

EDIT: I can't find an email contact for someone from ORPAS to ask.... am I blind? Does anyone know? 

pretty sure it's: orpas@ouac.on.ca