Clinical Psychology Ph.D. applicant thread Fall 2015

hummm

Definitely starting to get anxious (and obsessively check my email). According to last year's interview boards, two of my programs started sending out interview invites next week. :wacko:  This is going to be a long month and a half! Good luck everybody! 

Hi, how common is it for a POI to email and request a Skype interview with 6 days notice? Don't get me wrong, I am impressed at the turnaround time, but a little concerned because this is my first interview (and also my first round of apps). 

Any idea what the Skype interview would consist of compared to the actual interview (besides meeting other faculty, etc). 

Thanks! Good luck to everyone with 12/15 deadlines.

Hi, how common is it for a POI to email and request a Skype interview with 6 days notice? Don't get me wrong, I am impressed at the turnaround time, but a little concerned because this is my first interview (and also my first round of apps). 

Any idea what the Skype interview would consist of compared to the actual interview (besides meeting other faculty, etc). 

I got mine with two days notice!

This is a good thread:

I'm already obsessively checking my e-mail every day, even though I know it'll still be more than a month before I have any chance of getting interview invitations!

Sigh.. I'm doing the same thing.. My husband has somehow already heard from 3/5 schools he applied to.. My sanity only comes from the fact that he submitted his applications about 3-4 weeks before I did.. Seriously though I check my e-mail on my phone when I wake up, after I shower, while making coffee, on the bus, at work ext.. Basically anywhere I can get 3G.. 

Hello all,

I was contacted by POI this afternoon to schedule a phone interview, which will be held tomorrow evening.  This is nerve wracking as I don't have much time to prepare for it. Any idea what kind of questions I should ask at this stage? 

Hey,

Did anyone apply to the clinical psychology PhD at St. John’s (NY)?

I have two application-related questions:

1. There is a request to submit two papers from psychology courses or other relevant work samples — including a laboratory or research paper and a term paper. I have a written MA thesis about a research I conducted- would this be the research paper? What sort of term paper is customary to submit? (I’m an international student, hence the question…).
  2. There are two different requests for essays in different places in the online application: one for a personal statement of 300-350 words and one for a statement of professional goals of up to 2MB. Are these the same essay or should I write two?

Thanks!

Na'ama:

1. Master's thesis is perfectly fine as a research paper sample. For the other one, pick the paper that you feel reflects your writing and thinking skills the best.

2. These are two separate papers: one is a statement describing personal reasons for pursuing graduate studies in clinical psychology; another is a statement describing professional and research training that you feel has prepared you for grad school in psych, as well as a description of your research interests in grad studies.

Na'ama:

1. Master's thesis is perfectly fine as a research paper sample. For the other one, pick the paper that you feel reflects your writing and thinking skills the best.

2. These are two separate papers: one is a statement describing personal reasons for pursuing graduate studies in clinical psychology; another is a statement describing professional and research training that you feel has prepared you for grad school in psych, as well as a description of your research interests in grad studies.

Great, thanks!

I appreciate the help!

Hi All,

Hope you are all dealing with the anxiety of waiting better than I am!

Did anyone apply to Palo Alto University? I saw someone on the results page said they were contacted by the POI that they want to work with, but I don't recall any place in the application to note that. Now I am worried I missed something! :unsure:

I keep telling myself there's no point in worrying or obsessively checking my email until after Christmas is over. It's not working.

Hi All,

Hope you are all dealing with the anxiety of waiting better than I am!

Did anyone apply to Palo Alto University? I saw someone on the results page said they were contacted by the POI that they want to work with, but I don't recall any place in the application to note that. Now I am worried I missed something! :unsure:

I don't know anything about the program or application, but could they have included that information in their personal statement/statement of purpose?

I keep telling myself there's no point in worrying or obsessively checking my email until after Christmas is over. It's not working.

I don't know anything about the program or application, but could they have included that information in their personal statement/statement of purpose?

Usually it says in the prompt, but this one didn't say to include that. It was more generic, like why this program. Maybe I should have just played it safe and included it anyway! I guess it's too late now..

• 2 weeks later...

Did Harvard clinical make offers? I saw two postings for Psychology, and it baffles me why people dont specify their program. If someone received the call/email, please post.

Thanks!

Hi all!

So, I have a question. Apps are done, but I have had relevant and (I think...) competitive additions to my CV since my submission.  Would it be appropriate to send my POIs an updated C.V.? The updates include 2 more conference presentations, 1 paper under review, and a change in my thesis title. Thoughts?

Addendum: I just saw that someone else posted something similar before, and received feedback that it would only matter in a publication situation. Agree? Disagree? Other thoughts?

Edited by DrInTheMaking

Did Harvard clinical make offers? I saw two postings for Psychology, and it baffles me why people dont specify their program. If someone received the call/email, please post.

Thanks!

I saw that! The DCT said that Clinical folks are not reviewing applications until January (minus a "few preliminary things"). There is one person who posted that he/she was already accepted to Harvard Clinical, which is possible, but it seems VERY early for that. It seems likely, based on previous years, that the majority of interviews will be sent out in January. 

Hi everyone! I applied to Temple University's clinical psychology program and noticed that quite a few people have already heard back from Temple. I'm curious to know what PI's have already sent out interview invitations. Thanks!

Hey, I’d also like to know... Specifically, did anyone hear from Richard Heimberg?

I saw that! The DCT said that Clinical folks are not reviewing applications until January (minus a "few preliminary things"). There is one person who posted that he/she was already accepted to Harvard Clinical, which is possible, but it seems VERY early for that. It seems likely, based on previous years, that the majority of interviews will be sent out in January. 

Thanks for that. I know typically Harvards process is to invite for interviews, which basically guarantees admission unless youre an absolute nutcase. I was shocked to see someone was accepted, but its possible if the POI is a higher up and has special status.

I saw that some people got an invite from Arizona State University - Clinical Psychology program. Was it a program-wide official invitation or a personal/informal message from POI that the official invitation will be sent out soon?

Edited by anlwl

I saw that some people got an invite from Arizona State University - Clinical Psychology program. Was it a program-wide official invitation or a personal/informal message from POI that the official invitation will be sent out soon?

Invites for ASU came from Grad Admit secretary.

Invites for ASU came from Grad Admit secretary.

Do you know if the invites covered all specilaization areas? I'm particulary interested if they covered the Community/Prevention area. ASU is my top choice so now I am really freaking out!