2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

InquilineKea

It all depends on when the grants are turned in. You can largely assume 6-7 months after they are due. For example, we turned in a grant for NSF geophysics in December  and expect to hear in May/June. 

Thanks. My POI is tentatively expecting to hear back this month. I hope a decision comes before April 15.

UMass and UT made some offers this week did anyone get one ?

I heard from my POI at UT this week. He has been running behind and said that he had to inform the school of his descisions by Friday. He said he would let me know if I'm accepted sometime soon. Crossing my fingers.

I heard from my POI at UT this week. He has been running behind and said that he had to inform the school of his descisions by Friday. He said he would let me know if I'm accepted sometime soon. Crossing my fingers.

Did he recommend you of admissions ?

UMass and UT made some offers this week did anyone get one ?

I heard from my POI as well. He secured a TA spot for me and the adcom approved me for admission to the program. Just waiting on the graduate school to confirm to make it official. I'm pretty excited, but I think I'll feel more at ease once it's official.

I heard from my POI as well. He secured a TA spot for me and the adcom approved me for admission to the program. Just waiting on the graduate school to confirm to make it official. I'm pretty excited, but I think I'll feel more at ease once it's official.

They can do that ?

Well unfortunately for me I have been rejected from two places, Colorado School of Mines, and OU...

Do you guys think it would be wise to contact my POI at Kansas? I'm waiting for five other schools but I'm down right now :/

Well unfortunately for me I have been rejected from two places, Colorado School of Mines, and OU...

Do you guys think it would be wise to contact my POI at Kansas? I'm waiting for five other schools but I'm down right now :/

First round of acceptances have already went out.

First round of acceptances have already went out.

I know some acceptances, as well as rejections have gone out. Also, I have not heard of acceptances in geophysics. The reason I bring it up is that I did have good contact with my POI there, through emails and met at AGU

I know some acceptances, as well as rejections have gone out. Also, I have not heard of acceptances in geophysics. The reason I bring it up is that I did have good contact with my POI there, through emails and met at AGU

I emailed my POI yesterday and he said the first round of acceptances went out. I am unaware of a separation between when decisions are made for geophysics vs geology, there may be one but I am not sure. You could certainly email your POI but I assume he or she will tell you the same thing or less.

He's still on the fence. Guess I'll find out soon.

I was actually in a similar situation and I think I got passed over because my POI thought I wouldn't go if accepted (which was a possibility but I did like the school alot). Sometimes you aren

t good enough and sometimes you are too good I guess. Good luck with it all, you might want to send one more email him how committed you are to UT.

This is a repeat post probably but does anyone have any idea when is Stanford ERE (Petroleum) going to take its decisions? There are some rejections posted in the results page but no acceptances yet. This seems strange since Stanford usually sends its rejections and acceptances on the same day..

Edited by yoyohs

Duuude c'mon UH... Has anyone heard from them? I saw on an earlier post that it seemed like they started figuring things out pretty late this year.

I'm 98.35% sure that I should be accepted first round because my POI pretty much agreed to take me on when I went in to meet/interview with him in February. We even spoke about specifics such as how early I can quit my job, funding, what topics I should review in preparation, etc... Very comfortable conversation the entire time. Nevertheless, that stout confidence percentage is going down the longer it takes... What if an Godlike candidate came along after me and changed his mind? What if the project happened to fall through?

I haven't contacted him since my "enjoyed the meeting please let me know if you require any more information looking forward to getting started" email. Also friended him on Linkedin. Would it be wise to send him an email now or should I just play it cool like I have been? I'm guessing an email at this point wouldn't really accomplish anything but make me look like a nervous kid looking for confirmation instead of just being patient. What do y'all think?

Duuude c'mon UH... Has anyone heard from them? I saw on an earlier post that it seemed like they started figuring things out pretty late this year.

I'm 98.35% sure that I should be accepted first round because my POI pretty much agreed to take me on when I went in to meet/interview with him in February. We even spoke about specifics such as how early I can quit my job, funding, what topics I should review in preparation, etc... Very comfortable conversation the entire time. Nevertheless, that stout confidence percentage is going down the longer it takes... What if an Godlike candidate came along after me and changed his mind? What if the project happened to fall through?

I haven't contacted him since my "enjoyed the meeting please let me know if you require any more information looking forward to getting started" email. Also friended him on Linkedin. Would it be wise to send him an email now or should I just play it cool like I have been? I'm guessing an email at this point wouldn't really accomplish anything but make me look like a nervous kid looking for confirmation instead of just being patient. What do y'all think?

Any possibility that with the plunge in oil prices, the funding for their projects may have taken a hit and so the admits might be less this time round? My supervisor speculated this explanation for my UT Austin rejection

Any possibility that with the plunge in oil prices, the funding for their projects may have taken a hit and so the admits might be less this time round? My supervisor speculated this explanation for my UT Austin rejection

Yea that's definitely a possibility. Also an influx of applicants due to people wanting to go back to school while the prices are down, and 3 yrs later come back to a booming industry that's begging for masters degree geologists. (Hopefully....)

I would assume both of these things are probably making this a more difficult year to get in.

However, at our meeting my POI disclosed that he would be able to offer little funding other than for research costs. I have been saving a lot of what I make since getting my B.S. for that very reason so I told him I could be self-supported for the most part. He was obviously excited about that. So I don't think that would be the reason if I get rejected.

So a POI can secure a TA position ? Also I thought I would hear about a TA position from UT this well :/

I don't really know how the process works, but I will re-emphasize that my POI contacted me and told me this. It is not official and my online status still says under review.

Congratulations on the acceptance! 

I also applied to UH, and still haven't received anything. In the search page usually by now some acceptances were posted in past years but it seems they are late this year.