Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2015 admissions

smpalesh

To be honest I am finding it hard to remain optimistic and I am struggling with choosing my plan B. All of this talk about improving your application is making me think. I am worried about moving back to Ontario and not being able to find relevant work. So I am wondering if it would be better to do unrelated work but in a more exciting location (Australia, France, Thailand, S Korea etc). 

I think the main thing that needs upgrading anyways is my grades, as I have almost 3 years worth of hours. But I am not even really sure where to begin with that. Does anyone have experience with this? 

I'm sorry if this has been asked before but I tried to find it earlier in the forum but was unsuccessful, anyone know the links to tuition information for u of t? Thanks!

Keeping my fingers crossed for Everton, that have to start working faster now March is almost over! Hope you won't have to wait too long till the next round is sent out :)

Edited by goodnews

I'm sorry if this has been asked before but I tried to find it earlier in the forum but was unsuccessful, anyone know the links to tuition information for u of t? Thanks!

Keeping my fingers crossed for Everton, that have to start working faster now March is almost over! Hope you won't have to wait too long till the next round is sent out :)

Hi goodnews

The tuition fees are listed here:

http://www.provost.utoronto.ca/link/students/fees15/dom_socialwork.htm

As far as I can tell the tuition at U of T (for a 2-year MSW) ends up being approximately twice that of York.

York:

Fees and Tuition

For detailed information please review the following information from Student Financial Services at York University:

Hi goodnews

The tuition fees are listed here:

http://www.provost.utoronto.ca/link/students/fees15/dom_socialwork.htm

As far as I can tell the tuition at U of T (for a 2-year MSW) ends up being approximately twice that of York.

York:

Fees and Tuition

For detailed information please review the following information from Student Financial Services at York University:

Thank you for the quick response! And wow, it's surprising that there can be such a huge difference....

Do you (or anyone else) know whether students usually work while completing their msw? I don't see why not but I know some programs recommend not to (I have always worked while in school and don't see how I could get by without working regardless)

Thank you again :)

Edited by goodnews

To be honest I am finding it hard to remain optimistic and I am struggling with choosing my plan B. All of this talk about improving your application is making me think. I am worried about moving back to Ontario and not being able to find relevant work. So I am wondering if it would be better to do unrelated work but in a more exciting location (Australia, France, Thailand, S Korea etc). 

I think the main thing that needs upgrading anyways is my grades, as I have almost 3 years worth of hours. But I am not even really sure where to begin with that. Does anyone have experience with this? 

Hi Bettyg - 

My undergrad marks were crap, and I didn't have an academic reference because I was out of school for so long at the time I wanted to get an MSW.  I didn't apply for the 2 year, but I'm sure I would have been rejected on all fronts: marks, references, experience.

I did a one year full time BSW, which gave me better marks, lowered the amt. of time my MSW would take, opened up more options for schools and gave me access to the advanced standing programs which are less competitive to get into.  I got in, and I would recommend taking a BSW if you're very set on getting your MSW.  I'm certain I wouldn't be in an MSW if I hadn't.  I also think that having an adventure can be pretty important, too, though.....

ETA: I did my BSW at Waterloo, in case you're wondering where I did it.  10 months full time if you have all the prerequisites, which I didn't, so it was closer to 2 years for me.  However, the prerequisites are all online so I worked while I did those.

Edited by wxyyyz

Thank you for the quick response! And wow, it's surprising that there can be such a huge difference....

Do you (or anyone else) know whether students usually work while completing their msw? I don't see why not but I know some programs recommend not to (I have always worked while in school and don't see how I could get by without working regardless)

Hi good news

Personally I am not planning on working. I made a mock class schedule for myself as if I were to attend York or U of T (using their program requirements and this year's course schedule), to get a sense of what it'd be like. At York, there are 4 classes in the fall semester plus 5 hours of graduate assistantship work (required for funding package), and in the winter there are 2-3 classes plus 3 full days of a practicum placement (plus the 5 hours of GAship work). Some people could handle (and may need to) work on top of that - but not me. That doesn't include electives, by the way, just the mandatory courses.

So, I'm not sure what the norm is, but I am planning not to get a separate job on top of my MSW.

Hi Bettyg - 

My undergrad marks were crap, and I didn't have an academic reference because I was out of school for so long at the time I wanted to get an MSW.  I didn't apply for the 2 year, but I'm sure I would have been rejected on all fronts: marks, references, experience.

I did a one year full time BSW, which gave me better marks, lowered the amt. of time my MSW would take, opened up more options for schools and gave me access to the advanced standing programs which are less competitive to get into.  I got in, and I would recommend taking a BSW if you're very set on getting your MSW.  I'm certain I wouldn't be in an MSW if I hadn't.  I also think that having an adventure can be pretty important, too, though.....

ETA: I did my BSW at Waterloo, in case you're wondering where I did it.  10 months full time if you have all the prerequisites, which I didn't, so it was closer to 2 years for me.  However, the prerequisites are all online so I worked while I did those.

Oh good point. I am starting to wish I had applied for a BSW program this year as a back up option. Oh well, something to look into for next year. 

Thanks

Oh good point. I am starting to wish I had applied for a BSW program this year as a back up option. Oh well, something to look into for next year. 

Thanks

If you want to do it, look into them now and see if there are any prerequisite courses you'll need and don't have so you can take them now for application next year.  You can probably take them while you work and/or have international adventures!

Hey everyone, I've been searching online to do a SSW diploma if I don't get accepted but I can't seem to find any programs that it's you do it at a distance. For those who have experience and have received an SSW, did you complete it online or at the institution itself? Any information would help. Feel free to PM me :) Thank you!

Hey everyone, I've been searching online to do a SSW diploma if I don't get accepted but I can't seem to find any programs that it's you do it at a distance. For those who have experience and have received an SSW, did you complete it online or at the institution itself? Any information would help. Feel free to PM me :) Thank you!Hi

Hi purplegrey!

I was thinking about that as an option as well. If you find anything, or anyone else knows of a program, please message me! I will continue looking purplegrey!

Hi purplegrey!

I was thinking about that as an option as well. If you find anything, or anyone else knows of a program, please message me! I will continue looking purplegrey!

Hi purplegrey and lee22,

I'm currently doing the 10 month Fast-Track SSW at Fanshawe in London and it's been a really great experience.  Unfortunately it isn't offered online and I didn't come across any online programs when I was doing my SSW search last year around this time.  It's an intense program (honestly probably harder than my undergrad in terms of how accelerated it is) but it's been completely worth it.  You get 480 hours of experience through placement (while in school) and the classes really are applicable to front line work.

If you have any more questions I'd be happy to answer them if you want to PM me too!

i wanted to let you guys know i got into York post degree BSW. I am coming from UofT and they gave me 90 credits, so am thinking i can finish this in a year considering that its 30 credits that am missing. even going into the summer next year to ensure i finish on time if i go that route. I am still waiting on UofT nonetheless but at least i have a backup.  I have also applied to lakehead  and haven't heard anything yet. 

i wanted to let you guys know i got into York post degree BSW. I am coming from UofT and they gave me 90 credits, so am thinking i can finish this in a year considering that its 30 credits that am missing. even going into the summer next year to ensure i finish on time if i go that route. I am still waiting on UofT nonetheless but at least i have a backup.  I have also applied to lakehead  and haven't heard anything yet. 

If you don't mind me asking, when did you find out you were accepted to York's post degree program? Did you find out through OUAC or through email? I personally haven't heard anything yet, so I hope there's still a chance for more to go out! 

If you don't mind me asking, when did you find out you were accepted to York's post degree program? Did you find out through OUAC or through email? I personally haven't heard anything yet, so I hope there's still a chance for more to go out!

I got an email today that I have been granted admissions and then I went to check myfile at york, and it says admitted for the post degree BSW and some details about it..

I personally don't plan on working while I'm completing U of T's 2 year because I want to put all of my eggs in one basket so to speak and make sure I excel academically, however I'm going to gauge things after starting the program. If I think getting a job would be reasonable then maybe I will. Those who I've spoken to who are currently in the program told me that they have part time jobs and it's been very manageable for them. Different strokes for different folks!

Interesting to see whether people plan to work or not - I know that I should, financially and to help my resume, but I'm not sure if I could handle grad school and working without doing a bad job at both.

Also: how is this week going so slowly? I'm getting so twitchy, I just want to hear back so that I can start planning what my next year will look like! Has anyone found something that works well to get your mind off of the anxiety?

I definitely plan to work, a little bit, while in my MSW. Right now, all of my jobs save one (which I will likely have to quit, but it's with a friend and I promised I would help her hire my replacement once I ditched her) are like... either self-employed (like tutoring and editing work) or I am on the relief roster for an agency, so I can pretty much pick which shifts I want. So I do plan to keep the two relief gigs but drastically scale it back... right now I work at least two relief shifts a week, and for at least my first month or two of school, I'd want that to be like, 2-3 shifts per month. Just enough that I have some extra money coming in and can actually stay on the relief rosters (since it would be awesome to still be on those relief rosters once I graduate, just in case) but hopefully not so much that it will really get in the way of school. Then after a month or two, I can make a decision about whether I need to scale back even more, keep it the same, or increase to 4-6 shifts per month.

Interesting to see whether people plan to work or not - I know that I should, financially and to help my resume, but I'm not sure if I could handle grad school and working without doing a bad job at both.

Also: how is this week going so slowly? I'm getting so twitchy, I just want to hear back so that I can start planning what my next year will look like! Has anyone found something that works well to get your mind off of the anxiety?

I feel you! I am getting to the point where I want to know good or bad just so I can move on with life and start sleeping a bit better.

I have found a few things that help with anxiety including:

- going to the gym (which is great when I motivate myself to actually go)

- going to job interviews because it is giving me hope for something if it doesn't go how I planned

- I also have a notebook where I have written down several "plan Bs" with concrete ideas of how I will make it happen and in which time frame. 

I feel you! I am getting to the point where I want to know good or bad just so I can move on with life and start sleeping a bit better.

I have found a few things that help with anxiety including:

- going to the gym (which is great when I motivate myself to actually go)

- going to job interviews because it is giving me hope for something if it doesn't go how I planned

- I also have a notebook where I have written down several "plan Bs" with concrete ideas of how I will make it happen and in which time frame. 

I have been using the same strategies as you in addition to distracting myself with the various events that go along with being part of a wedding party! That helps to occupy some of the time I spend stressing but I am also super speedy at planning so I think I've exhausted that distraction method. At the risk of sounding juvenile or as if I have completely gone over the edge - I bought this book and plan to doodle and colour some of the pictures this weekend while catching up on some TV shows:

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/books/enchanted-forest-an-inky-quest/9781780674889-item.html

I forgot how relaxing anything craft or art related can be until I did so much baking that I've nearly run out of space to keep things in the freezer :)

I called Calgary and they said that the results for the 2 year program will be sent out by email before this month ends, so in the next few days...

I cannot wait for the moment when this is all behind us. Imagine it, some time soon this will be over and we we can move on. Some of us will be making plans for the school year, others will be focusing on our plan b.

blh22, you have reminded me of one of the things I do to relieve stress!

Colouring books. They're AMAZING. And if you feel like you don't even have the creative energy for that, you can do as I do and get colour by number books. I have this one http://www.amazon.ca/Colour-Numbers-Book-Fiona-Watt/dp/1409566544/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1427383692&sr=8-3&keywords=usborne+colour+by+numbersand it's AMAZING! It either lives next to my bed for when I am stressed or in my hospital bag, lol

I'm also a huge completionist, so I also find the Lego video games (Lego Lord of the Rings and Lego Harry Potter in particular) super super relaxing, and they're not too expensive either.

Edited by lightning1129