Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2015 admissions

smpalesh

Just for the record for people waiting for letters from U of T and living in Toronto- it still usually takes 2-3 business days (including the day it goes out for delivery, so including yesterday if all the letters went out before 5pm yesterday) because everything goes out to the sorting station in Mississauga before it goes to wherever it's going, so actually people who live in Mississauga would get it the soonest, even if you live right by U of T (I used to work at the post office, haha). It seems kinda silly, but they can't know where things are going before they get sorted. If you live in Toronto (or most major urban centres in Ontario or Quebec) you will very likely get your letters Monday if you don't already have them, maaaaaybe Tuesday. It's likely a similar situation for those living close to Laurier waiting for letters- they all go to the sorting station first, which generally adds an extra day onto however long you think it would take.

Thank you for this explanation I'm going crazy over here because they mailed my acceptance to the wrong address and Angela just remailed it yesterday, I was worried when I didn't get it today but I guess I can expect it on Monday ( I'm in Etobicoke ) I hate not having it and not being able to do anything without it :( after such a long wait

Hey guys so I need opinions!

I am currently accepted into Lakehead HBSW and waitlisted at U of T MSW. I'm so afraid that I will get accepted off the waitlist AFTER classes have started and than I can't back out because tuition has to be paid in full for Lakehead by July 2nd. So this is what I'm thinking and would like some opinion/advice.

For Lakehead you have to pay FULL tuition by July 2nd and if you don't you get a late fee payment of $79 at the end of every month.
Anyways, so I'm thinking (I don't know how this will work with OSAP though so I have to figure that out), but I'm thinking miss my tuition payment for July and August (if I'm not rejected or accepted by U of T yet) and than If I do get accepted all I'm loosing is close to $200 plus whatever I pay for books that semester. To me that seems worth it if I were to get accepted. Cause I think my heart will break if Im accepted and Ive already paid tuition for Lakehead

OR

If I'm not accepted by July 2nd I ask U of T to remove me off the waitlist so I don't cry if I get accepted and it's too late. I figure these are my only two options unless of course I get accepted off waitlist before July 2nd that would be a dream come true lol. So I just wanted to know what peoples take was on this?

Thanks everyone:)

If I were in your shoes, I'd go to Lakehead. If accepted afterwards, tell OSAP you are changing institutions and apply again for the fall semester. What do you think makes more financial sense?:

1) Paying for 4 semesters at Lakehead (12 months but billed 4 semesters as it runs from July-June) plus 3 semesters for an MSW  = 7 semesters  OR...

2) Paying for 1 semester at Lakehead plus 5 semesters for an MSW = 6 semesters

Furthermore, with option 2 you know you will end up with an MSW and with option 1 there are no guarantees.

If you decide on option 1, you'd be wise to rent a home without a lease if you plan to move for your studies and only unpack your summer clothing and essentials until September.

If you know you don't want to go with option 2 take your name off the waitlist in July because you don't plan to go there anyway and it's better to know you were waitlisted than the know you were accepted and declined the offer.

Edited by jenste

I just read that AMetallo made a decison, and also read another good point I initially didn't consider about taking up a spot no one else can replace. A very valid point. A lot to consider, indeed.  So I didn't need ot write my post above afterall. :)

I am currently accepted into Lakehead HBSW and waitlisted at U of T MSW. I'm so afraid that I will get accepted off the waitlist AFTER classes have started and than I can't back out because tuition has to be paid in full for Lakehead by July 2nd. So this is what I'm thinking and would like some opinion/advice.

For Lakehead you have to pay FULL tuition by July 2nd and if you don't you get a late fee payment of $79 at the end of every month.
Anyways, so I'm thinking (I don't know how this will work with OSAP though so I have to figure that out), but I'm thinking miss my tuition payment for July and August (if I'm not rejected or accepted by U of T yet) and than If I do get accepted all I'm loosing is close to $200 plus whatever I pay for books that semester. To me that seems worth it if I were to get accepted. Cause I think my heart will break if Im accepted and Ive already paid tuition for Lakehead

OR

If I'm not accepted by July 2nd I ask U of T to remove me off the waitlist so I don't cry if I get accepted and it's too late. I figure these are my only two options unless of course I get accepted off waitlist before July 2nd that would be a dream come true lol. So I just wanted to know what peoples take was on this?

Just seeing this now! Wow, I have debated this opinion all semester once I realized how competitive it is to get in to a MSW. Since I have debated this scenario, if I do get waitlisted, my plan is to go to Lakehead and wait it out on! BUT, I didn't realized until now that tuition has to be paid in full by July 2nd! WOW! However, I am still going to stick with my plan. MAINLY, because it is sooooooooo competitive to get in, and it is terrifying that because I have this fear that WHAT IF I were to rejected it and then I don't get in next year? TERRIFYING! So, I would recommend that you hold out because the MSW program are so competitive!! And, it seems to risky to take you off the waitlist/reject it. 

Hope this helps! :)

You all made some very valid points! I honestly didn't even consider any of that cause I was so overwhelmed of excitement knowing I still have a chance lol as u o f is closer to home and so much more convenient. But agreed with all your points. If I don't get accepted by end of June I will let u of t know to take me off to the list so I'm not heart broken if I did get in. Thanks everyone!

Just seen this! 

Good decision! :)

My previous comment stemmed from (1) the fear of giving up a waitlist position because it is so competitive to get into and (2) the feeling of regret if after you finish your HBSW that you don't get accepted into a MSW.

Terrifying. I have so much anxiety that I might be in the same spot that you are now once I get my letter.

Personally, I don't think I wouldn't be able to give up the waitlist (even though it seems the right thing to do) because I am too scared of not getting accepted next year if I decide to do the HBSW. I also reached out to a faculty member that is the only SWK member doing research in the same field as I am. And to take myself off the waitlist, would be like telling her to forget about us working together

I don't know. Just my current (anxiety filled) thoughts. 

Edited by ShayRonee93

Were you involved in extracurricular sties to the campus/program? And if so what toes of opportunities are available for being more involved ?

I was involved mostly on campus.  Some of the organizations are part of the undergrad student union, but they still let graduate students join.  For the faculty, there is the student council, and also opportunities to be an MSW student representative on various committees.  There are also some other clubs at the faculty, but I'm not too familiar with them (did stuff for black history month, etc)

OR

I dont think you should be too  concerned with "taking up spots". You need to do whats best for you. Whatever option you feel is best then do that. If i were you I would NOT remove yourself off the waitlist. That is just my opinion. Do whatever you feel is best. Personally, if I were you, I would go with option 1 - 100%. Dont give up on U of T, and dont remove yourself off the waitlist! I see no benifit to that - only potentially a lot of harm. 

Also, if you get into MSW you should take it. It is so hard to get into. If you waste money then so be it, but better to be secured a spot in MSW then to give it up and then have a hard time getting into advanced standing. 

Edited by Social Work 93

Just to clarify - I know it's very tough to get into an MSW, but I think it's a lot "easier" to get into an advanced standing program than a two year? Just insofar as there are way more programs that you're eligible for and a smaller applicant pool in general?

Still no letter from U of T on my end, but they've got my Kingston mailing address on file so I'm expecting Monday / Tuesday. My partner is still insistent on being hopeful. I'm kind of giving up.

I just asked my mom to check the mail and my letter from U of T is there! I'm dying to know whether I am wait listed or rejected, but she refuses to open it for me, so I will have to wait another agonizing 4 hours until I am home from work! Ahhhh!

Hey guys!

Just wanted to let you all know that I just opened my letter from U of T and I have been waitlisted! I am actually very happy about this as it is my first time applying. I feel that my GPA, written statement and references were good, but felt the major weakness on my application is my experience. I do not have any paid social work expeeience and all of my volunteer experience is with children with special needs.

I am glad that I at least know I was on the right track and have already emailed the Children's Aid Society in my area to see if they have any volunteer opportunities so that I can strengthen that area of my application for next year.

... not that I have given up hope just yet! Just preparing.

Good luck to everyone still waiting!

I dont think you should be too  concerned with "taking up spots". You need to do whats best for you. Whatever option you feel is best then do that. If i were you I would NOT remove yourself off the waitlist. That is just my opinion. Do whatever you feel is best. Personally, if I were you, I would go with option 1 - 100%. Dont give up on U of T, and dont remove yourself off the waitlist! I see no benifit to that - only potentially a lot of harm. 

Also, if you get into MSW you should take it. It is so hard to get into. If you waste money then so be it, but better to be secured a spot in MSW then to give it up and then have a hard time getting into advanced standing. 

Well said! I completely agree and will take this advice because it is likely that I may be in the same situation as AMetallo.

Those who were accepted to Laurier's 2 year program, have you received anything other than the one email? Does Laurier send out acceptance packages?

I've only received an email and once I accepted the decision they sent me my LORIS information entailing an email and it appears as though a lot if not of all the information and correspondence needed will be on there :)

Well said! I completely agree and will take this advice because it is likely that I may be in the same situation as AMetallo.

Thanks guys! Yeah thinking about all this definitly makes my head spin lol.

Thanks! I'm just worried about and need to find out about tuition for Lakehead and exactly how much I will be losing if that happens and what to do with OSAP in that case. I really hope it doesn't come down to that. I hope if I get off the waitlist it happens in May (Angela said we will hear anytime between May-September). That would be amazing and work out perfectly!

Hey guys!

Just wanted to let you all know that I just opened my letter from U of T and I have been waitlisted! I am actually very happy about this as it is my first time applying. I feel that my GPA, written statement and references were good, but felt the major weakness on my application is my experience. I do not have any paid social work expeeience and all of my volunteer experience is with children with special needs.

I am glad that I at least know I was on the right track and have already emailed the Children's Aid Society in my area to see if they have any volunteer opportunities so that I can strengthen that area of my application for next year.

... not that I have given up hope just yet! Just preparing.

Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Congrats! This is definitely something to be happy about (at least I think). Here's to hoping we get in!:)

I got my rejection letter in the mail yesterday. I am a bit surprised that I didn't get in. I have years of experience working in research at Children's aid,  have two honors degree, a GPA of A, an A in the research methods course. So I guess, they were looking for a certain person and I didn't fit what they were looking for. I'll look into my plan B options. I won't be applying next year and I guess grad school isn't for everyone.

Good luck to those who got in. It will be a wonderful experience :)

Hi there!

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to post this, but I'm just wondering if anyone knows of a list of the 1 year BSW programs available in Canada? I'm having a bit of a hard time with finding any other than Lakehead's.

Thank you!

Hi there!

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to post this, but I'm just wondering if anyone knows of a list of the 1 year BSW programs available in Canada? I'm having a bit of a hard time with finding any other than Lakehead's.

Thank you!

There really aren't many one-year BSWs. In fact, I think Lakehead might be the only 12 month one. There's also a 15 month program at St. Thomas University in Fredericton, NB. Most of the Canadian programs are 2 years, with a few at 3 years as well (even with a degree), as far as I can remember from my research.

There really aren't many one-year BSWs. In fact, I think Lakehead might be the only 12 month one. There's also a 15 month program at St. Thomas University in Fredericton, NB. Most of the Canadian programs are 2 years, with a few at 3 years as well (even with a degree), as far as I can remember from my research.

Another one I can suggest is the 10 month Waterloo program, but you need to have 10 prerequisites for it. I strongly recommend contacting Shauna Elliot way before you apply to figure out what prereqs you missing, as she does take weeks sometimes to get back to you. When I was corespondig with her, some classes that I thought were equivalent didn't count and some that I thought were irrelevant counted :s All in all, I came out needing to do 3/10 prerequisites, and you can do them online.

AMetallo - Obviously you can make your own decision but I still think it is a bad idea to enroll in one school and then leave when already in the program.  OSAP is not going to fund one program and then fund another a month later.  Just not going to happen.  They will fund your BSW and then you quit and then you are on the hook for paying them back completely and then also on the hook for paying for your MSW out of pocket.  OSAP is pretty strict about these things. 

AMetallo - Obviously you can make your own decision but I still think it is a bad idea to enroll in one school and then leave when already in the program.  OSAP is not going to fund one program and then fund another a month later.  Just not going to happen.  They will fund your BSW and then you quit and then you are on the hook for paying them back completely and then also on the hook for paying for your MSW out of pocket.  OSAP is pretty strict about these things. 

Just curious as to where you heard that OSAP won't fund 2 different programs during 2 different semesters? I checked their website and the processing time takes up to 8 weeks.

If OSAP gives money for Lakehead from May-August, I don't see why receiving money for another school from September-April should be an issue. But I don't work for OSAP, so the best people to ask would be them! 

If the money doesn't arrive by the tuition deadline because you couldn't apply for OSAP 8 weeks in advance, let your school know your situation and they should make a note on your account for the finance department so they know what's going on. I have done this at my school a couple of times and it was no problem. (My school was even nice enough to waive the late payment fee for me because, in my particular circumstances, the late payment was not my fault).   

You are also not responsible for paying back your loan until 6 months after ending your studies. So if you end up in a different program fulltime, you will be responsible for paying back all student loans 6 months after ending your fulltime studies. They will not expect you to pay it back if you are in school fulltime studying something else, as long as they are aware of the situation and all required documentation is submitted. 

I know people who completed a masters degree in August then moved on to do a PhD at another school the following September and they did not owe money for the masters until 6 months after completing their PhD. (So they began to make payments 4.5-5.5 years after completing their masters). It's not an uncommon situation. As long as the proper documentation is submitted to OSAP to prove you are a fulltime student, then it's fine.

Edited by jenste

Thanks magfish!

swrk, I'll definitely have to contact Waterloo. The prereq thing was really scaring me off, but knowing that it's possible to get credit for a lot of them makes it a little more manageable. Thanks! 

I opened my letter this morning and learned that I have been waitlisted for U of T's two-year MSW, I am pretty excited as this is my first time applying . I have been expecting a rejection letter after I read about how competitive this program is and how many excellent candidates there are. Making it to the wait-list is encouraging for me to reapply for next year. I plan to take some online course to boost my GPA and also plan to gain more experience as a volunteer. I have learned a lot on this forum. Just want to say thank you to everyone for being supportive to each other! Good luck to everyone who is still waiting!

I got my rejection letter in the mail yesterday. I am a bit surprised that I didn't get in. I have years of experience working in research at Children's aid,  have two honors degree, a GPA of A, an A in the research methods course. So I guess, they were looking for a certain person and I didn't fit what they were looking for. I'll look into my plan B options. I won't be applying next year and I guess grad school isn't for everyone.

Good luck to those who got in. It will be a wonderful experience :)

Is this your first time applying? If so don't give up just yet!