Fall 2015 Applicants!

SJSU doesn't even send theirs out til the last possible moment. According to the results page, many students had to call in mid-April to find out their status.

Another day, another wait list. St Xavier this time. At this point I'm pumped to not have received another rejection letter!

So I was accepted to a school yesterday and when I emailed back asking about when scholarship/assistantship/any financial information would be available, I got this response: 

"In the past we do not get information about what is available until Summer when budgets come in.  I know this is tricky because the letter of intent is due before April 15th.  With that, I would make your decision based on worse case scenario in that that you may have federal financial aid and loans but no scholarship offers." 

Has anyone else received something similar? How am I supposed to make a final decision based on no information? Help? 

So I was accepted to a school yesterday and when I emailed back asking about when scholarship/assistantship/any financial information would be available, I got this response: 

"In the past we do not get information about what is available until Summer when budgets come in.  I know this is tricky because the letter of intent is due before April 15th.  With that, I would make your decision based on worse case scenario in that that you may have federal financial aid and loans but no scholarship offers." 

Has anyone else received something similar? How am I supposed to make a final decision based on no information? Help? 

This same scenario is ultimately the reason my husband chose UCA over FHSU. FHSU wasn't going to have funding information until after responses were due, so we went with the guaranteed money over the "maybe".

You have got to be joking.  :mellow:

Definitely not joking. I talked to an advisor at my University about it today and they said that sometimes budget is done on a summer schedule, so situations like this happen. It's very frustrating. 

Yea, but funding is a privilege in this country, not a right. Unfortunately.

Definitely not joking. I talked to an advisor at my University about it today and they said that sometimes budget is done on a summer schedule, so situations like this happen. It's very frustrating.

Man, that sucks!! Did you already receive funding from another school?

What is taking University of Oregon so long....last year they notified people on the 6th. At this point, I just want to know so I can move on with my life :-/

Yup, I feel that same way! I was told maybe on the 20th or 27th! Here's hoping! Good Luck!

Man, that sucks!! Did you already receive funding from another school?

I've only heard from one so far  about getting in-state tuition (which is very helpful). So, I have options, it just would have been so helpful to have my metaphorical ducks neatly in a row before deciding. But, it'll all work out in the end :)  

Does anyone know how tuition waivers work or how/why people are selected for them?

I just received an email from UND, where I am accepted, and if I accept their offer before the 27th they will waive 6 credits of tuition for me. I was hoping to put off my final decision a little longer in case I would hear from a waitlisted program but it looks like I may have to make a decision sooner.

Has anyone ever heard of this? I find it strange that they didn't initially tell me this when they accepted me. It's kind of important considering how costly graduate credits are. 

Does anyone know how tuition waivers work or how/why people are selected for them?

I just received an email from UND, where I am accepted, and if I accept their offer before the 27th they will waive 6 credits of tuition for me. I was hoping to put off my final decision a little longer in case I would hear from a waitlisted program but it looks like I may have to make a decision sooner.

Has anyone ever heard of this? I find it strange that they didn't initially tell me this when they accepted me. It's kind of important considering how costly graduate credits are. 

I got the same. They want a decision by next Friday. Was is 6 credits per semester, or for the whole academic year? A tuition waiver means you do not have to pay for those credits. Usually people with funding, such as RAs and TAs, get a stipend AND a tuition waiver. Sometimes it also means, any remaining fees owed will be at the in-state rate. But I am not sure about this for UND specifically. I'm going to check that out. Because that would be a great offer. It may be that they are only now telling us because they did not know how much funding they would be able to offer before, as the above poster's correspondence with her institution suggests. But still, those 5 courses I have to do before I actually start graduate coursework might still outweigh any offer from them for me.

Edited by bettercallsaul

Got accepted to University of Louisville. I'm quite pleased, but it's way over my budget. Some out-of-state elsewhere would even be cheaper than in-state there. So I'll likely decline and hopefully open up a spot for someone already in that area.

Cheers!

Another day goes by and still no new news for me...sigh. :unsure: I'm not greedy, all I want is one acceptance!  

Hang in there no news is better than bad news. I am at 14 rejections, 3 wait-lists, waiting on 10 more (2 of which I have interviewed with) to get back to me. This process is the worst!

Good luck to you!

Hang in there no news is better than bad news. I am at 14 rejections, 3 wait-lists, waiting on 10 more (2 of which I have interviewed with) to get back to me. This process is the worst!

Good luck to you!

Thanks for your kind words and good luck to you as well!! And Amen, this process is absolute torture.