Fall 2015 Applicants!

:( I'm so sorry to hear that! I'm not sure if you have your heart set on staying in california (where it's insanely competitive), but there are a handful of schools across the country that take spring applicants. I know it's not ideal, but it's worth a shot. 

Hey, do you have a link or a list of schools off the top of your head that take applications in the Spring? I'm still waiting to hear back from 6 schools but I'm being very pessimistic and planning for the future in case I don't get in anywhere. 

Hey, do you have a link or a list of schools off the top of your head that take applications in the Spring? I'm still waiting to hear back from 6 schools but I'm being very pessimistic and planning for the future in case I don't get in anywhere. 

You should have kept reading the thread! A few posts after that someone mentioned just this. :P

Good for you! That's the spirit! 

@mia6741

I got accepted to NAU today! It feels great to know that I'll be able to go to grad school for sure. Looking forward to hearing back from all my other schools so that I can start making plans!

Congrats! Did you apply for the full time program or part time at NAU? I applied there as well but to the part time summer program.

@mia6741

Congrats! Did you apply for the full time program or part time at NAU? I applied there as well but to the part time summer program.

I applied to the full time leveler program!

Idk why you're being high and mighty about researching, the point of this forum is to help people going through this nerve-wracking process. I doubt what someone wants to hear after finding out they didn't receive any acceptances this season is "you have to do research cause I did, maybe I'll help a little if you PM me"

Anyways, mo~, if you do end up thinking about spring admissions, here's a partial list (copied from this thread: ):

Eastern NM University- 9/1

LIU Brooklyn-11/1

Lehman College (CUNY) 10/1

Kent State 11/1

Marquette 11/15

Nazareth 10/1

St. John's University 10/1

Valdosta State University 7/1

University of Texas, Pan American- 2/4

University of Texas, Dallas - 9/15

University of South Dakota-  10/15

University of Rhode Island - 10/15

University of Northern Iowa - 9/15

University of Nebraska, Omaha- 9/1

University of Missouri -10/15

University of Louisiana Monroe - 9/25

University of Kansas -10/15

University of Central Florida - 10/1

SUNY Cortland 7/1

Southeastern Louisiana University - 3/1

Penn State -2/1

Last hope? I am so sorry. :( You heard from CSUN already? I thought that they were sending out there decisions later?

So sorry...I know how devastating it can be to get rejected. Don't give up on graduate school if this is really what you want to do. Graduate programs have too many qualified applicants applying for a limited number of spots. Don't let this discourage you from pursing your dream of becoming an SLP. Keep bettering yourself in the time you have and I'm sure graduate programs would be lucky to have you! If this were an easy path many people would choose it. Good luck on your future endeavors and don't let your graduate admissions define your worth.

Keep in mind that many of the most successful people in the world are those who never took no for answer!

Like others have said, it's really not! You can apply next year, and you'll have a whole additional year's worth of experience under your belt that will work to your advantage. Plus, those California schools are known for being even more hyper-competitive than the rest of the country! Unless you have your heart set on California (and I know there are good reasons to, especially if you want to work in California later in life), you can probably find some great programs that are affordable and you love in other places! But regardless, you'll be an even stronger applicant next year, because you'll have a whole 'nother year of experience. :) But you are not alone in having to apply for more than one application season, and having to apply more than once doesn't make you a worse applicant (or person!) than anyone else.

Wow thanks you guys! This really warms my heart to hear all of your support and encouraging words. This is such an amazing forum! I plan on becoming a SLPA and finishing my Post Bacc while I wait (and I will definitely look into some spring schools). Good luck to everyone else's applications you all deserve to get into the school of your dreams! 

P.s. mic1011 I haven't actually heard from CSUN yet but I've given up on them as I don't believe they look at the last 60 units GPA which makes me significantly less competitive. 

I applied to the full time leveler program!

Congratulations that is awesome! Did you receive and email? I'm still waiting to here. I really hope I get in! I'm an SLPA already so the part time program would be perfect for me!

Oh man, yeah the wait is killing me because I keep thinking about stuff I should have put in my application, were my essays good enough, did I pick the right schools to apply too?

I feel insane!! Haha

I never had an interview at liu-post so I'm assuming that is a rejection! I applied to northwestern as well! I picked schools I thought were easier to get into and ones that didn't have crazy intensive application processes and then ones in areas I thought I wouldn't mind moving too! This is my second year applying so after last year I set a wide net out!

I just keep telling myself, you only need 1!!!

Same here! I have a coworker who was going through this process with Law School at the same time as I with speech and I swear it is so much easier to get into law school!

1 Acceptance is all I need though, although I would really like to stay in NY I will go anywhere. :D Good luck to you and everyone here. This forum is so supportive!

I called then today and they said they haven't sent out summer program notifications yet!

Congratulations that is awesome! Did you receive and email? I'm still waiting to here. I really hope I get in! I'm an SLPA already so the part time program would be perfect for me!

What happens if you accept an offer at one school (since there's the April 15 deadline) and then you get accepted off the waitlist at your favorite program after April 15?

Can you back out after you committed to a program? Is there any kind of etiquette as far as this goes? Sorry if this seems like a silly question. By the way things have been going for me, this scenario could become a reality. I know of one program where people backed out last minute and it was too late for them to accept other students to fill the vacant spots.

What happens if you accept an offer at one school (since there's the April 15 deadline) and then you get accepted off the waitlist at your favorite program after April 15?

Can you back out after you committed to a program? Is there any kind of etiquette as far as this goes? Sorry if this seems like a silly question. By the way things have been going for me, this scenario could become a reality. I know of one program where people backed out last minute and it was too late for them to accept other students to fill the vacant spots.

I think grad schools plan for this, which is why some grad students accept students the week before classes start.

To all the other NAU acceptances, I also found out I got in yesterday! Very exciting. That makes two schools for me now, waiting to hear back from three more. Hoping my decision making goes smoothly! Part of me wanted to only get into one school so I wouldn't have to pick - hahaha. But, cannot complain obviously!

To all the other NAU acceptances, I also found out I got in yesterday! Very exciting. That makes two schools for me now, waiting to hear back from three more. Hoping my decision making goes smoothly! Part of me wanted to only get into one school so I wouldn't have to pick - hahaha. But, cannot complain obviously!

haha If only I had your problems...  ;)  But yay! Congrats on two acceptances!

I know I saw maybe 2 people post that they were accepted to East Tennessee State University, has anyone heard anything else from them or know when they are sending out decisions?

Has anyone gotten an e-mail from a school saying you were rejected , but then another e-mail saying you were wait listed. I'm wondering if this is normal? I'm confused if I'm rejected or wait listed....

Has anyone gotten an e-mail from a school saying you were rejected , but then another e-mail saying you were wait listed. I'm wondering if this is normal? I'm confused if I'm rejected or wait listed....

That's bizarre. I would definitely call them and inquire about your status b/c that's not normal. I'll cross my fingers that you're actually waitlisted...  :)

That's bizarre. I would definitely call them and inquire about your status b/c that's not normal. I'll cross my fingers that you're actually waitlisted...  :)

Thank you!! Either way, it's pretty discouraging to hear because that was one of the schools I thought I had a better chance at. Oh well, I can only hope for the best these next coming weeks.

Thank you!! Either way, it's pretty discouraging to hear because that was one of the schools I thought I had a better chance at. Oh well, I can only hope for the best these next coming weeks.

Don't be discouraged...graduate admissions are allllllllll over the place. I know people that have gotten into more prestigious universities with funding and then denied from other "safe" schools. It's not an exact science so hang in there! 

Okay guys...This has been the most stressful spring break ever with GradCafe! I have been spending wayyyyy too much time on here over the last week scouring the boards for grad program info! 

GradCafe is a curse and a blessing to know about.

At my undergraduate institution, and at a program that I visited, the professors highly discourage backing out after you have already committed to a program, whether it be Audiology or SLP.  They said that this may make you appear unreliable to people on the admissions committee and there is a chance that those people could be prospective employers in the future.  The view on this probably varies from program to program though.  At the end of the day you need to do what you think is the best for your future.  

Anyone else out there accepted to the distance program at East Carolina joint program with ASU? Incredibly excited about this program!!