Fall 2015 Applicants!

Just to put a little more positive energy back in to this thread, I wanted to put part of an email I received about my waitlist status at PSU, which a few others here have received as well. I know when all you have is waitlists, it can be frustrating and you're disappointed, and I, at times, am not truly happy with my waitlist status as well. Schools also don't really do a good job about telling students what a waitlist really means, just that "You're on the waitlist. Wait more." This email was really comforting, and I really appreciated the thoughtful words. It's true, not all schools think of a waitlist this way, but a great majority do.

"I realize that placement on the waiting list can be disappointing. I want to be sure you are aware that only a select number of highly qualified individuals are placed on our list, and your inclusion is a reflection of our high regard for your academic record and experience. You are among those whom we would admit if we had the resources to do so.  Due to the high number of extremely qualified applicants this year and the limited number of available seats in the graduate program, our decision was especially difficult.  We deeply regret that we cannot accept a larger number of students"

I have received harsh rejections, neutral rejections, neutral waitlist letters, and acceptances, but this letter made me feel just as good as an acceptance email (which I know is easier to say because I have been accepted). Waitlists generally do mean the school believes you are qualified and will succeed at their school and as an SLP, but they just have limited spots. If you're on waitlists, stay positive! You are a good applicant, but have just been a victim of small program sizes.

I too loved this email! I was very happy to be on the top tier! I'm hoping for an acceptance. :D

I am starting to make some decisions and trying to respond as early as possible to help others on wait lists, but does anyone know the proper etiquette or way to phrase an email declining admission? Thanks!

Best of luck to everyone :)

4 waitlists!!!!!! Y'all think I have a chance at getting in this year?? Still have 3 to hear back from :). #waitlistprobs

You got this!!! Rooting for you & sending lots of positive vibes :)

4 waitlists!!!!!! Y'all think I have a chance at getting in this year?? Still have 3 to hear back from :). #waitlistprobs

Good luck (especially that UOP waitlist)! I have 1 waitlist and still 3 to hear from. 

I am starting to make some decisions and trying to respond as early as possible to help others on wait lists, but does anyone know the proper etiquette or way to phrase an email declining admission? Thanks!

Best of luck to everyone :)

I kept mine short and professional but not too formal - "I truly appreciate the opportunity to attend XXX. While I do believe that it is an excellent program which would be a good fit for me personally, I have accepted admittance to XXX. Thank you for all of your time, and I wish you and the XXX community continued success."

I am also on 4 wait-lists, have 2 schools that I interviewed with to hear back from and about 8 others. Really hoping for an acceptance. 

Good luck to you! 

I kept mine short and professional but not too formal - "I truly appreciate the opportunity to attend XXX. While I do believe that it is an excellent program which would be a good fit for me personally, I have accepted admittance to XXX. Thank you for all of your time, and I wish you and the XXX community continued success."

Thanks, MonicaSLP!

pdxlady1,

If I were you I would just wait til after you hear the decision since it doesn't hurt you to keep yourself on the list!  Throughout this whole process I've changed my mind so many times about which program I think I want to go to (sometimes it changes by the hour haha).  So it's nice to have that option open..you can always decline it right away anyway!  But this is just my opinion :)

Since professional courtesy has been brought up, I want to make a PSA:

Please withdraw/decline schools that you don't want to attend ASAP!

I know many of us are/were waiting on funding, etc., but please make decisions ASAP. You can only go to one school. If you have multiple offers, please be courteous and only hold a maximum of 2 (maybe 3?) at a time...  You don't have to do anything until April 15th, but why wait that late? You probably know which schools you prefer - go ahead and drop the rest. It might give someone a chance to go to those schools from wait list, etc.  :)

I want to add that it's important to be considerate for international students who are waitlisted and are at the top of the tier who are waiting to be offered an admission and need their visas to be processed. It takes time.

Edited by Articklish

I added University of Houston at the last minute because I messed up one application and wanted to make up for it. After researching the program and looking at the placements available in Houston, I started to become more interested. After a bevy of rejections and one wait list where I am on the third tier, I was accepted to Houston. So glad I decided to apply there! Still waiting on LSU-NOLA, but it's such a relief after receiving rejection after rejection. If you're still waiting, don't give up hope! All it takes is one school

I added University of Houston at the last minute because I messed up one application and wanted to make up for it. After researching the program and looking at the placements available in Houston, I started to become more interested. After a bevy of rejections and one wait list where I am on the third tier, I was accepted to Houston. So glad I decided to apply there! Still waiting on LSU-NOLA, but it's such a relief after receiving rejection after rejection. If you're still waiting, don't give up hope! All it takes is one school

Congratulations!!! Houston is a great city :)

I hope I can revel in the enjoyment of acceptances soon. 2 rejections, 1 waitlist, 4 waiting :(

Okay, the first big hurdle was hearing back from programs. Now the next big hurdle is waiting for waitlist acceptances/rejections come after April 15! Sitting here waiting until April 15 like  :wacko:

Have you accepted an offer?

How does this work if students have to pick before the 15th but schools won't say wait list info until after the 15?! At which point people have already committed elsewhere... That doesn't seem right. 

Have you accepted an offer?

How does this work if students have to pick before the 15th but schools won't say wait list info until after the 15?! At which point people have already committed elsewhere... That doesn't seem right. 

Yep, I committed to a program. If I didn't, I would've risked not getting off the waitlists I'm on. However, it is not to say that I don't like the program I'm accepted at as well! Programs do prepare for the fact that students may get off waitlists and choose to go elsewhere after they have committed. That is why some waitlists are still moving in later months. I spoke to an advisor about this and she said that all grad programs prepare for students to resign after accepting admission. If I get off the waitlist at my #1 choice I will go there since I have to look out for my best interests (financially, location-wise, etc.). It does feel rude, but you have to put your own interests above the grad schools'! After all, they have no shortage of students who would be elated to fill spots. 

April 15th feels like it may never get here  :o

Is there an apocalypse prophesied before then or something? 

Probably not, but for someone who is waiting to hear from a school about acceptance off the waiting list it probably will feel like forever. And then after all that waiting not being accepted off a waitlist, or to any grad schools, probably feels like an apocalypse. All someones hard work for the last 2-4 yrs down the drain type of feeling. 

This shit is hard and stressful. It's a privilege to be in this situation (having and education and searching to further that education), a stressful privilege.

Probably not, but for someone who is waiting to hear from a school about acceptance off the waiting list it probably will feel like forever. And then after all that waiting not being accepted off a waitlist, or to any grad schools, probably feels like an apocalypse. All someones hard work for the last 2-4 yrs down the drain type of feeling.

This shit is hard and stressful. It's a privilege to be in this situation (having and education and searching to further that education), a stressful privilege.

True dat.

True dat.

Yep, I committed to a program. If I didn't, I would've risked not getting off the waitlists I'm on. However, it is not to say that I don't like the program I'm accepted at as well! Programs do prepare for the fact that students may get off waitlists and choose to go elsewhere after they have committed. That is why some waitlists are still moving in later months. I spoke to an advisor about this and she said that all grad programs prepare for students to resign after accepting admission. If I get off the waitlist at my #1 choice I will go there since I have to look out for my best interests (financially, location-wise, etc.). It does feel rude, but you have to put your own interests above the grad schools'! After all, they have no shortage of students who would be elated to fill spots. 

Wow... What?... This is crazy!!!!