Fall 2015 Applicants!

It was for the full academic year. It is not a lot but it helps. I emailed the head of the department and asked a few questions about it. I was mainly curious about their selection for it and if their second year grad students get considered for tuition waivers. He said that in the last two years they have been able to give second year grad students partial tuition waivers too. I did some more calculations of what it will cost and it isn't horrible for me, I suppose. I can get the reciprocity tuition rate for MN residents which is nice. I'm still not crazy about the prereqs, but at this point I will be accepting the offer. It is too much of a gamble for me not to accept it. However, I'm hoping I can get off my waitlists still. I am thinking about going up there some time in the upcoming weeks to take a look around the clinic, university, etc. to get a better idea of program and the Grad Forks area. I have a friend who loved the Grand Forks area, so it will be interesting to see what it's like. I live about 4.5 hours away so it's not too bad of a drive.

Also, did you enquire anything about the undergrad courses they want us to do? I've been meaning to do so, but haven't yet. 

For? 

An out of state school and for a private school.

I got a scholarship for the first year at the state school. Alternate for funding at the private school.

Either way I'm looking at over $50k of debt for those two programs (which were my top 2 choices).  :unsure:

I'm actually kind of aggravated. It appears that acceptances and rejections are sometimes handled differently. Acceptances by email, rejections by post. If we're gonna be old-fashioned about it, why not real old-fashioned: A posted list with everyone's student # and final decision. :)

I'm actually kind of aggravated. It appears that acceptances and rejections are sometimes handled differently. Acceptances by email, rejections by post. If we're gonna be old-fashioned about it, why not real old-fashioned: A posted list with everyone's student # and final decision. :)

Maybe they should send acceptances by telegram, rejections by semaphore, and waitlists by smoke signal. THATS old-fashioned lol.

Has anyone heard anything from UOP?

My graduate application checker says 'decision made' but there is no way of finding out what the decision is, from what I can see...

Anyone else getting that status or more fortunate than I and able to figure out how to find out what the decisions are?

Edited by Enjifer

I know I saw maybe 2 people post that they were accepted to East Tennessee State University, has anyone heard anything else from them or know when they are sending out decisions?

I checked my portal where I sent my online application and it said I was accepted. I haven't gotten an e-mail or anything though. You might want to check your application online! 

Also, did you enquire anything about the undergrad courses they want us to do? I've been meaning to do so, but haven't yet. 

Yeah, UND's application process was so user friendly. Their application process was one of the few that actually went smoothly for me. As far as the undergrad courses go, they gave me a list of the ones I'd be required to take. That's about all that I know about them. I am going to email them the letter of intent on Monday and hopefully get more information shortly after. I am assuming that it would add an extra semester to the plan of study. When I go up there (hopefully soon, if my busy schedule permits) I am hoping they can give me a personalized plan of study! 

Has anyone heard from Western Kentucky University? I applied to the distance program and I haven't seen results from anyone yet. Waiting to make an official decision after I hear from them.

Edited by natnro

I agree. the education is the same at the end of the day.

I don't know. Some schools provide better training and have more resources. I don't think they're all exactly equal. However, you get the same degree and comparable job prospects regardless of school. 

Anyone know if there is a trend- I havent heard back from a school, but other people have posted that they're on waitlists for that school. Do some schools not even send out letters if you are not accepted? 

Anyone know if there is a trend- I havent heard back from a school, but other people have posted that they're on waitlists for that school. Do some schools not even send out letters if you are not accepted? 

This can definitely happen.

Since professional courtesy has been brought up, I want to make a PSA:

Please withdraw/decline schools that you don't want to attend ASAP!

I know many of us are/were waiting on funding, etc., but please make decisions ASAP. You can only go to one school. If you have multiple offers, please be courteous and only hold a maximum of 2 (maybe 3?) at a time...  You don't have to do anything until April 15th, but why wait that late? You probably know which schools you prefer - go ahead and drop the rest. It might give someone a chance to go to those schools from wait list, etc.  :)

I hope I don't sound harsh, but this is actually a bit of a pet peeve of mine. I totally agree that if people 100% know that they don't want to attend a school and have submitted their intent at another school, it is very nice and a professional courtesy to notify as soon as you have made that decision, and it doesn't make sense to delay that, even. I know a girl who has already sent in her intent to enroll to her top choice (back in late Feb), and still hasn't notified the other 4 or 5 schools she's been accepted to that she won't attend. It's better for the school if you notify sooner as well. It is something that has skipped her mind at times I know, because she's focused on coursework and was so excited getting in to her top choice.

However, I do not believe you should only hold on to two or three acceptances, and I don't think those on the waitlist should pressure those with acceptances. We have until April 15th to make that final decision for a reason. It is not a decision that should be rushed, and it will not affect people on the waitlist significantly or at all if it's made closer to that date. People with many acceptances should not be pushed to rush their decisions and they might be waiting on funding information, waiting to visit programs, to talk to advisors, or any number of things, and they have every right to take as much time as they need to make their final decisions. I only have two acceptances, but I was given until April 15th for a reason, and I will take my time to fully decide because I want to make sure I make an informed decision. I'm about 90% on one school right now, but I'll be visiting the other one this upcoming week or the next, and I won't send in my notification to either school before then.

Whether a person tells a school they are are enrolling March 15th or April 14th, other people will be pulled from the waitlist, and it does not change which person or how many. Schools don't generally notify before April 15th if someone is pulled off the waitlist anyway. I'm also hoping to be pulled from waitlists, but I don't want people who were accepted to feel rushed by their peers into making decisions. You guys take your time! You earned it. I'll wait patiently, because April 15th really isn't that far away anymore. :)

I think the original poster might have just meant to let them know if you know you're for sure not going to a particular institution. Most people have a mental list of their dream school all the way down to their safety school. Waiting for funding is one thing, but it does seem a little unnecessary to keep more than a handful of acceptances under your belt when other people are waiting to see if they get in before committing to another school (and paying a hefty $500 deposit). One of my friends has gotten into nearly every single school she applied to (7/9...multiple with funding) and she's just sitting on them. :rolleyes: I think it might be easier to say that you've earned that time when you have options, but many of us are desperately waiting to see if we'll even be going to grad school in the Fall. For some of us, those wait lists are our only hope so by all means, please pass if you know it's not where you want to be. 

I hope I don't sound harsh, but this is actually a bit of a pet peeve of mine. I totally agree that if people 100% know that they don't want to attend a school and have submitted their intent at another school, it is very nice and a professional courtesy to notify as soon as you have made that decision, and it doesn't make sense to delay that, even. 

Exactly. No one is saying to rush your decision making process. 

If schools don't notify before April 15th then... Wouldn't everyone else have already chosen another program? (Assuming they had multiple offers.)

For the record, I'm not waiting on wait lists but I am an alternate for funding at my top choice right now.  :)

Edited by Saila09

I checked my portal where I sent my online application and it said I was accepted. I haven't gotten an e-mail or anything though. You might want to check your application online! 

Thank you so much! I checked and the application status just said "referred" so I don't know if that is good or bad :/ 

I agree with you. Student debt is crippling, however going to a top ranked school with a better program could have better outcomes and consequences in the long term than the 'just okay' school that gives you funding. I'm trying to emphasize the decision isn't just black and white/funding and no funding. And true, you can state your opinion in whatever way you want however you want...doesn't mean you'll be well-liked. If that doesn't matter to you, I guess this conversation is over. However, I maintain my position in that you can still state your opinion that 'going for the dream is unrealistic' in a less combative way and if you continue to be combative, in the speech field, I guarantee you'll get push back. But once again, if you don't care about that...good luck to you and your negativity.

Who made you the etiquette police? It's striking to me on this forum how little people know about culture and language use. What may appear negative or rude to you (especially on the internet where there is no inflection of voice or facial expression) may be perfectly neutral to someone else, all dependent on language use. Query before you assume someone is being an A-hole. As people in a language-based field, it is not our job to be prescriptivists. Leave that to the religious zealots. 

I know everyone's under a lot of stress right now... but some of the posts make me feel like I'm listening in on a private argument. Maybe when feelings are hurt or there's confrontation send each other private messages instead?

Just to put a little more positive energy back in to this thread, I wanted to put part of an email I received about my waitlist status at PSU, which a few others here have received as well. I know when all you have is waitlists, it can be frustrating and you're disappointed, and I, at times, am not truly happy with my waitlist status as well. Schools also don't really do a good job about telling students what a waitlist really means, just that "You're on the waitlist. Wait more." This email was really comforting, and I really appreciated the thoughtful words. It's true, not all schools think of a waitlist this way, but a great majority do.

"I realize that placement on the waiting list can be disappointing. I want to be sure you are aware that only a select number of highly qualified individuals are placed on our list, and your inclusion is a reflection of our high regard for your academic record and experience. You are among those whom we would admit if we had the resources to do so.  Due to the high number of extremely qualified applicants this year and the limited number of available seats in the graduate program, our decision was especially difficult.  We deeply regret that we cannot accept a larger number of students"

I have received harsh rejections, neutral rejections, neutral waitlist letters, and acceptances, but this letter made me feel just as good as an acceptance email (which I know is easier to say because I have been accepted). Waitlists generally do mean the school believes you are qualified and will succeed at their school and as an SLP, but they just have limited spots. If you're on waitlists, stay positive! You are a good applicant, but have just been a victim of small program sizes.