Fall 2015 Applicants!

Anyone else apply to any programs that are still in the stone age and didn't have an online application portal system? One of my programs literally needed all the materials snail mailed or emailed to them.

Which one? I see this as something positive. Less competitive maybe? The school I applied to via snail mail has become my #1 over time. They are actually very personable.

has anyone heard from St. Ambrose regarding interviews on February 21st?  

I just received an email from St. Ambrose with an invitation to the interview. The email said that I'm in the second group, but I'm not sure how many groups there are and if all the emails have been sent out. Good luck to you!  :)

Which one? I see this as something positive. Less competitive maybe? The school I applied to via snail mail has become my #1 over time. They are actually very personable.

The one I am thinking of is University of South Dakota. It is generally less competitive than a lot of programs. Many programs in the midwest tend to be somewhat less competitive than other regions of the country. I found this process strange considering that they get a fair amount of applicants. Not only in SLP and Aud, but their whole graduate school application for any program is this way. What a mess of paperwork for the graduate office! lol

I will say though, they were really on top of notifying me when they received things. They would email almost immediately when they had something on file which was nice! 

Anyone else apply to any programs that are still in the stone age and didn't have an online application portal system? One of my programs literally needed all the materials snail mailed or emailed to them.

I applied to a program that needed everything mailed in 1 packet. I wish I could see the status of my application!

I applied to a program that needed everything mailed in 1 packet. I wish I could see the status of my application!

That's my main issue! It isn't helping that I have nowhere to log in and look at the status of my application! Even thought the portals don't say much while apps are under review, I can't help but feel the need to compulsively check :( lol

Got an invitation for an interview at St. Ambrose last night! Has anyone had an interview with them before and know what it's like? I know they interviewed on January 31st. Or did anyone interview with them last year? I would be flying from Boston and am trying to get an idea of if I should fly out or do a "remote" interview?

Does anyone know how funding selection works at most programs? I am guessing that at the interview stage and beyond they are done with the numbers game (GRE, GPA)...They've obviously narrowed it down to the cream of the crop at the interview stage. Do programs take the whole individual into consideration for funding (ie. their interview, their CV/resume, etc.) or is it based on GRE and/or GPA?

Does anyone know how funding selection works at most programs? I am guessing that at the interview stage and beyond they are done with the numbers game (GRE, GPA)...They've obviously narrowed it down to the cream of the crop at the interview stage. Do programs take the whole individual into consideration for funding (ie. their interview, their CV/resume, etc.) or is it based on GRE and/or GPA?

I'm sure, like most things, it depends on the school. For some, having a specific GRE/GPA is necessary to be considered for certain scholarships, but I would think the most logical is that for general funding they would probably just spread it out through their top ranked applicants (this would be the wholistically top ranked students - not by numbers).

Another question to tack on: if people who do receive funding for a school decline the invitation, does that get redistributed into another funding offer?

While I would never apply to just one school, I am grateful that I happen to be single and have the funds available to relocate and study full time. If I had a family or was tied down due to a job, I would have to apply to one school (the nearest SLP school is 30 mins away, the second closest is 1 hr, more in traffic).

Just found out that one of my professors that wrote me an LOR for all three schools I applied to wrote the wrong name in the body of the paragraph of her letter for me. So screwed and bummed! I just lost all hope. :(

As Chandru said, people who apply to one school have intelligent and practical reasons for doing so.

And what is the hurt in asking about funding? I think it's a great question, and I can see several reasons why someone might have information to share in response - like having discussed funding with someone who has served on an admissions committee. 

In this case I don't think you have any reason to have said something about these posts. But just in general, even if you are genuinely perplexed by something someone says, that doesn't mean you aren't being rude. It all depends on how you phrase what you say. It might be helpful for you to think, "How would I react if someone said this to me?" before you say something. 

(@Chandru1 sorry for the downvote, I was aiming for the green but I guess I missed! :/ ) 

Why would anyone know this?

Ever heard the saying "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all?" It's a legitimate question that other people who have been through the process may know. As for your other rude comment to the person applying to one school, that was not necessary. After all, the whole purpose of this website is for people to share information about graduate school. With comments like that, I can't help but wonder how people like yourself go into a helping profession when you choose to be condescending and rude to other people. I would for one not want a clinician with those attributes. Move along now. 

Just found out that one of my professors that wrote me an LOR for all three schools I applied to wrote the wrong name in the body of the paragraph of her letter for me. So screwed and bummed! I just lost all hope. :(

Don't lose hope yet. You haven't received a rejection so that's a good sign. I'm sure your prof was probably swamped too. How did you find out btw?

Ever heard the saying "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all?" It's a legitimate question that other people who have been through the process may know. As for your other rude comment to the person applying to one school, that was not necessary. After all, the whole purpose of this website is for people to share information about graduate school. With comments like that, I can't help but wonder how people like yourself go into a helping profession when you choose to be condescending and rude to other people. I would for one not want a clinician with those attributes. Move along now.

Excuse me neuronparty, I am not passing judgement on anyone's character here as you have. I may sound too stern for you, but let me remind you that culture plays a big role in people's use of language. I come from a very stoic Nordic background. I am sorry that some may find what I have to say insensitive, but deal with it. I am only expressing my thoughts on applying to one school. I think it is unwise, and I have been advised as much myself. Thank you for your delightful conversation.

Edited by gendertreachery

I wouldn't want a clinician who can't decipher a good question from a dumb one either. ;)

As Chandru said, people who apply to one school have intelligent and practical reasons for doing so.

And what is the hurt in asking about funding? I think it's a great question, and I can see several reasons why someone might have information to share in response - like having discussed funding with someone who has served on an admissions committee.

In this case I don't think you have any reason to have said something about these posts. But just in general, even if you are genuinely perplexed by something someone says, that doesn't mean you aren't being rude. It all depends on how you phrase what you say. It might be helpful for you to think, "How would I react if someone said this to me?" before you say something.

(@Chandru1 sorry for the downvote, I was aiming for the green but I guess I missed! :/ )

I agree, but I don't perceive what I had to say as "rude!" Forward maybe, yes. I'm sorry I offended, but I think some people are overreacting a bit. Edited by gendertreachery

While I would never apply to just one school, I am grateful that I happen to be single and have the funds available to relocate and study full time. If I had a family or was tied down due to a job, I would have to apply to one school (the nearest SLP school is 30 mins away, the second closest is 1 hr, more in traffic).

That makes sense. Again, my many "whys" were simply my own anxieties over someone's choice to apply to one school. I see this as being empathetic, not rude! I want everyone to get in, and I believe everyone should! I personally think it's a shame that there is such a need for qualified SLPs, an abundance of eager students, yet there are so many rejections each year. Neuronparty, I'm done with your ability to only read me one way which is the wrong way!

Edited by gendertreachery

As I said before, nontraditional students may not have the luxury of packing up and moving. If I had kids or a full time job, I would have to apply to schools within commuting distance, and unless you're in a major metro area, there are not that many.

I hope you will not use the Nordic excuse on your clients.

As I said before, nontraditional students may not have the luxury of packing up and moving. If I had kids or a full time job, I would have to apply to schools within commuting distance, and unless you're in a major metro area, there are not that many.

I hope you will not use the Nordic excuse on your clients.

It's not an excuse. Have you ever been around people of other cultures for extended periods of time?