Fall 2015 Applicants!

As I said before, nontraditional students may not have the luxury of packing up and moving. If I had kids or a full time job, I would have to apply to schools within commuting distance, and unless you're in a major metro area, there are not that many.

I hope you will not use the Nordic excuse on your clients.

You've posted before reading my response to you above.

As Chandru said, people who apply to one school have intelligent and practical reasons for doing so.

And what is the hurt in asking about funding? I think it's a great question, and I can see several reasons why someone might have information to share in response - like having discussed funding with someone who has served on an admissions committee.

In this case I don't think you have any reason to have said something about these posts. But just in general, even if you are genuinely perplexed by something someone says, that doesn't mean you aren't being rude. It all depends on how you phrase what you say. It might be helpful for you to think, "How would I react if someone said this to me?" before you say something.

(@Chandru1 sorry for the downvote, I was aiming for the green but I guess I missed! :/ )

I would also like to know more about funding, but unfortunately I think universities lack transparency on this issue.

My question "Why would anyone know this?" is the teacher in me encouraging people to think for themselves.

Edited by gendertreachery

I have been around people from other cultures - I am from one myself. People from L2 backgrounds must be more cognizant of how they talk and are perceived by others. Given that we are going into a career path in which we must teach effective communication, it is something that is very important. And I would not expect employers to accept your excuse (as that is what it is) for lack of tact - and research corroborates this (see Lippi-Green for some examples - the teacher in me wants you to look them up yourself!)

As your posts have been significantly edited (and among other reasons), I have begun to suspect that you are a troll. So I am out. Have a good night, and best of luck on applications, if you have actually submitted any.

I have been around people from other cultures - I am from one myself. People from L2 backgrounds must be more cognizant of how they talk and are perceived by others. Given that we are going into a career path in which we must teach effective communication, it is something that is very important. And I would not expect employers to accept your excuse (as that is what it is) for lack of tact - and research corroborates this (see Lippi-Green for some examples - the teacher in me wants you to look them up yourself!)

As your posts have been significantly edited (and among other reasons), I have begun to suspect that you are a troll. So I am out. Have a good night, and best of luck on applications, if you have actually submitted any.

Yes, research corroborates this, but does that make it right?

That makes sense. Again, my many "whys" were simply my own anxieties over someone's choice to apply to one school. I see this as being empathetic, not rude! I want everyone to get in, and I believe everyone should! I personally think it's a shame that there is such a need for qualified SLPs, an abundance of eager students, yet there are so many rejections each year. Neuronparty, I'm done with your ability to only read me one way which is the wrong way!

As I said before, nontraditional students may not have the luxury of packing up and moving. If I had kids or a full time job, I would have to apply to schools within commuting distance, and unless you're in a major metro area, there are not that many.

I hope you will not use the Nordic excuse on your clients.

I think you missed my response to you above.

I'm confused as to how you think Lippi-Green's positions agree with you more than me. This whole discussion and dehumanizing me as rude and incapable of being a good clinician because of the way I construct (AND EDIT) my sentences is a prime example of linguistic authority and language-based oppression!

Don't lose hope yet. You haven't received a rejection so that's a good sign. I'm sure your prof was probably swamped too. How did you find out btw?

Thanks for your words of encouragement. One of my schools actually contacted me and told me they lost two of my letters of recommendation so I had to send them again. I had my professor email them again and she cc'd me with the letter open. I'm just hoping that the schools understand that it is not my fault and don't penalize me too much for it. 

Thanks for your words of encouragement. One of my schools actually contacted me and told me they lost two of my letters of recommendation so I had to send them again. I had my professor email them again and she cc'd me with the letter open. I'm just hoping that the schools understand that it is not my fault and don't penalize me too much for it. 

I wouldn't think they would penalize you too much, if at all! I'm sure a graduate comittee understands that the recommender is responsible for the typo in the LOR, not you. Additionally, this type of error shows that the recommender probably had a lot of LORs to write and does not affect your portrayal of having the ability to be an awesome clinician. I'd be more worried if I discovered a typo like that in my SOP :-P

I wouldn't think they would penalize you too much, if at all! I'm sure a graduate comittee understands that the recommender is responsible for the typo in the LOR, not you. Additionally, this type of error shows that the recommender probably had a lot of LORs to write and does not affect your portrayal of having the ability to be an awesome clinician. I'd be more worried if I discovered a typo like that in my SOP :-P

Thank you. I am hoping you are right and it didn't hurt me too much! Good luck with your schools! :)

@ mo~ 

I hope they will look past that since that is not in your power whatsoever. You never know, they might not even notice from all the letters they are going to be reading. I am also applying to CSUN, I am so nervous!

Hey all, does MGH conduct interviews? I checked their website and I didn't see anything and I checked the results page and no one mentioned anything about interviews. I guess I just want to hear from someone who knows for sure if they have interviews or not. Thanks in advance!

Hey all, does MGH conduct interviews? I checked their website and I didn't see anything and I checked the results page and no one mentioned anything about interviews. I guess I just want to hear from someone who knows for sure if they have interviews or not. Thanks in advance!

Nope, they don't.

Do SJSU, Redlands and UT Dallas conduct interviews? (didn't see any people posting about interviews on the results page in the past)

I'm answering my own question...

SJSU

"2. PERSONAL INTERVIEW Finalists for admission may be interviewed by the review committee via Skype, telephone, or in person."

from this page: http://www.sjsu.edu/cds/admissions/Admission_docs/WEBSITE%20ADMISSIONS_MA_F2015_92214.pdf

didn't find anything on Redlands or UTD though :/

I saw in the results that someone had received an interview time and date for Brooklyn college... Anyone else get one too?

The results on this forum? And I haven't heard anything back yet. I'm getting so anxious and nervous as time goes by