Chemistry Applications Fall 2015

ChemiKyle

I e-mailed the coordinator last week because I may have had conflicts and I wanted to know when the decisions were going to be made, and she said the latest decisions will be made is today. And judging by previous years, they said they sent e-mails. So I'm assuming they're going to send you an e-mail later today.

However, that doesn't show on my application page... So now I'm worried.  :mellow:  Goodbye top choice...

Do you see an "Interview" tab on your application page, in addition to "Application" and "Status"?

I was accepted to Penn today. Pretty surreal, I will have to go on a widespread motivational speaking tour for students who found chemistry later during the course of their undergrad and worry about becoming competitive applicants. One year of research, no publications, bombed the chem GRE, and I still got into Penn. Feels good! I really appreciate how personable and thorough all of these departments (at least the schools I've encountered) are with this whole process. They could have written me off for a school like Penn for a number of reasons and I can't help but feel like they gave me a chance to convey how strongly I feel about this. Great day!

Congrats to everyone else on acceptances, you've earned them no doubt!! Very cool to hear about you great scientists prospectively studying at places like Berkeley, Yale, Scripps, UNC, etc. I'm anxious that some have heard from UWashington and Michigan, I do love those schools. Can't wait to start hearing about UC Irvine and Santa Barbara, for my sake!

We're the future of chemistry, guys. Who knew! :D

Edited by ChemSet

Anyone applied to graduate programs at chemical biology or systems biology at Harvard and got news?

Heard that systems biology@Harvard has already sent all the interview invitations.

I feel very sad now.  :(

Newbie here. Question for all the others accepted to UC Berkeley: did you all receive calls from POIs? I only received a generic department email, and nothing else.

I only received a call from a POI that is a colleague of my PI. The other POI did not call me. I got some details on visitation weekends and what goes on, and that's it :)

Any physical chemist here who got accepted to UC Berkeley? I keep seeing that more and more people get some sort of acceptance letters or calls from POIs from UC Berkeley this week but I haven't heard back... Just getting a bit nervous because Berkeley was one of my top choices.

Newbie here. Question for all the others accepted to UC Berkeley: did you all receive calls from POIs? I only received a generic department email, and nothing else.

Got a call from a POI I mentioned in my SOP a week before getting the emaiil.

Anyone applied to graduate programs at chemical biology or systems biology at Harvard and got news?

Heard that systems biology@Harvard has already sent all the interview invitations.

I feel very sad now.  :(

Harvard's Chemical Biology doesn't seem to have sent out any notices. Its interviews are held in the first two weeks of February, so I really hope that the decisions get sent out next week.

Harvard's Chemical Biology doesn't seem to have sent out any notices. Its interviews are held in the first two weeks of February, so I really hope that the decisions get sent out next week.

I interviewed with Harvard's Chemical Biology program two years ago. I got my notification the third week of January, so they should be coming soon. 

Do you mean the "Edit" button? If so, there isn't one in mobile, you have to switch over to the full site view as far as I know.

Not edit, delete. You can see that I edited both of my posts! The second post of mine had identical content to the first before I rewrote the body of it. Thanks though ;P

Got a call from a POI I mentioned in my SOP a week before getting the emaiil.

I only received a call from a POI that is a colleague of my PI. The other POI did not call me. I got some details on visitation weekends and what goes on, and that's it :)

I see, do you think it means anything if you have a POI personally call you versus if they don't? 

I see, do you think it means anything if you have a POI personally call you versus if they don't? 

I think that procedures are likely to vary so much across different departments and universities that'll you'll drive yourself crazy trying to analyze this question.

Thanks! I'm starting to worry after seeing the acceptances from these schools.

I'm trying to tell myself that there aren't many applicants for this field and that we have it less competitive. But that's probably a lie, hahah! Who did you list in your SOP for Stanford? I put down Todd Martínez, Thomas Markland, and Ed Solomon. Todd and Thomas were in the ChemWipes comedy skit for 2015. It was pretty funny :D

http://youtu.be/Uh43Rz00sbQ

I'm trying to tell myself that there aren't many applicants for this field and that we have it less competitive. But that's probably a lie, hahah! Who did you list in your SOP for Stanford? I put down Todd Martínez, Thomas Markland, and Ed Solomon. Todd and Thomas were in the ChemWipes comedy skit for 2015. It was pretty funny :D

http://youtu.be/Uh43Rz00sbQ

That was really funny, but it's a good thing those guys went into chemistry and not acting.

Edited by electron