Chemistry Applications Fall 2015

ChemiKyle

Hey Chemists,

I read all pages on this topic, and I really impressed by the educational background of many of you. Moreover, I should say “Congratulations!” to many of you for your acceptance at such Top Universities. To be honest, it is really hard to express myself here, among such a well-educated students.

Anyway, I like to know your point of view about my status. I have applied for thirteen universities as following:

Purdue University

University of Florida

Colorado State University

University of Southern California

Stony Brook University

University of Kansas

Oregon State University

Tulane University

University of Akron

Utah State University

Texas Tech University

Mississippi State University

University of Idaho

And, here is my CV:

M.Sc. GPA: 3.60 (out of 4)

B.Sc. GPA: 2.84 (out of 4); GPA-Chemistry Courses: 3.10 (our of 4)

GRE: V: 144, Q: 153, AW: 3.0

IELTS: 6.5 (overall); L: 7.0, W: 7.0, S: 6.0, R: 6.0

Research interest: Inorganic Chemistry

Research Experience: 7 years

Publications: 2 Books (in Persian), 16 Journal Papers: (I am the corresponding author of six papers, my h-index is 5), 5 National Conferences (4 Posters, 1 Workshop)

Awards & Honors:

• Outstanding Researcher, Iran's Ministry of Education (2 times)

• Distinguished Lecturer at a Student Research Center

• Outstanding Chemistry Student at my B.Sc.’s university

• Two papers among ScienceDirect's Top 25 Hottest Articles, Elsevier, 2009 and 2010.

Work & Research Experience:

• Chemistry Teacher at high schools, Iran’s Ministry of Education (8 years)

• Chemistry Lab. Instructor, Student Research Center (1 year)

• Research Assistant (2 years)

• Reviewer for the following journals: Spectrochimica Acta Part A: Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy (5 times), Journal of Molecular Structure (5 times), Current Organic Chemistry (1 time)

Based on my CV and your information to what extent I have chance to admit in the mentioned universities as an International Student?

Edited by emeliano

Hey Chemists,

I read all pages on this topic, and I really impressed by the educational background of many of you. Moreover, I should say “Congratulations!” to many of you for your acceptance at such Top Universities. To be honest, it is really hard to express myself here, among such a well-educated students.

Anyway, I like to know your point of view about my status. I have applied for thirteen universities as following:

Purdue University

University of Florida

Colorado State University

University of Southern California

Stony Brook University

University of Kansas

Oregon State University

Tulane University

University of Akron

Utah State University

Texas Tech University

Mississippi State University

University of Idaho

And, here is my CV:

M.Sc. GPA: 3.60 (out of 4)

B.Sc. GPA: 2.84 (out of 4); GPA-Chemistry Courses: 3.10 (our of 4)

GRE: V: 144, Q: 153, AW: 3.0

IELTS: 6.5 (overall); L: 7.0, W: 7.0, S: 6.0, R: 6.0

Research interest: Inorganic Chemistry

Research Experience: 7 years

Publications: 2 Books (in Persian), 16 Journal Papers: (I am the corresponding author of six papers, my h-index is 5), 5 National Conferences (4 Posters, 1 Workshop)

Awards & Honors:

• Outstanding Researcher, Iran's Ministry of Education (2 times)

• Distinguished Lecturer at a Student Research Center

• Outstanding Chemistry Student at my B.Sc.’s university

• Two papers among ScienceDirect's Top 25 Hottest Articles, Elsevier, 2009 and 2010.

Work & Research Experience:

• Chemistry Teacher at high schools, Iran’s Ministry of Education (8 years)

• Chemistry Lab. Instructor, Student Research Center (1 year)

• Research Assistant (2 years)

• Reviewer for the following journals: Spectrochimica Acta Part A: Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy (5 times), Journal of Molecular Structure (5 times), Current Organic Chemistry (1 time)

Based on my CV and your information to what extent I have chance to admit in the mentioned universities as an International Student?

That is a really tough call. I'm not on an admissions committee, so take this with a grain of salt.

Your research experience, awards, and publications are obviously phenomenal. However, I know many schools have minimum GRE scores. If you contacted POIs or the admissions committee and explained your scores in light of your out of class experiences I think you would have a strong case at all of your listed schools.

I see, do you think it means anything if you have a POI personally call you versus if they don't?

I think it's a good sign someone in particular is interested in you, but the conversation I had definitely made it like things are pretty flexible and if you happen to get on well with a professor that you weren't even aware of at first, you can join their group if they have room - so though I have touched base with a couple people I am trying to keep an open mind about everything and may not join either POIs group if I go to Berkeley. My PI mentioned to me that his colleague is sort of a slave driver (he was nice on the phone though!) so I'm definitely planning on talking to his students. For me the personality of the group takes precedence. I think writing all these SOPs really forced me to have this narrow focus, when in reality I'm interested in a lot of things, and the person I spoke with understood that and basically told me which visiting day would have the most professors around to speak with.

I think it's a good sign someone in particular is interested in you, but the conversation I had definitely made it like things are pretty flexible and if you happen to get on well with a professor that you weren't even aware of at first, you can join their group if they have room - so though I have touched base with a couple people I am trying to keep an open mind about everything and may not join either POIs group if I go to Berkeley. My PI mentioned to me that his colleague is sort of a slave driver (he was nice on the phone though!) so I'm definitely planning on talking to his students. For me the personality of the group takes precedence. I think writing all these SOPs really forced me to have this narrow focus, when in reality I'm interested in a lot of things, and the person I spoke with understood that and basically told me which visiting day would have the most professors around to speak with.

I agree with what you said about the narrowing of interests in the SOP. To me the ability to choose a POI after you get accepted to the school is what made me apply to the US in the first place. 

I'm trying to tell myself that there aren't many applicants for this field and that we have it less competitive. But that's probably a lie, hahah! Who did you list in your SOP for Stanford? I put down Todd Martínez, Thomas Markland, and Ed Solomon. Todd and Thomas were in the ChemWipes comedy skit for 2015. It was pretty funny :D

http://youtu.be/Uh43Rz00sbQ

LOL I put down these three professors. Martinez and Markland were obviously reading from a script. Funny video :lol:

I agree with what you said about the narrowing of interests in the SOP. To me the ability to choose a POI after you get accepted to the school is what made me apply to the US in the first place. 

Thanks for the answers, I appreciate it! That certainly is good that they're flexible about joining other groups. I guess I shouldn't feel too down about not hearing from any POI's since I still got in, meaning at least one person is interested in me. :)  Do you know when you're going to be visiting the campus?

Anyone else still waiting to hear from UMich? I know atleast with applications to professional programs, they take foreverrrrr to get anything done, but I'm starting to worry! I'm applied for analytical and have been in contact with a PI. 

Just reeived a phone call from an MIT POI indicating acceptance. I applied for organic/catalysis and did not have an interview.

Just reeived a phone call from an MIT POI indicating acceptance. I applied for organic/catalysis and did not have an interview.

You're like butter, you're on a roll.

I'm curious, who are you interested in working under at MIT? They have great researchers for catalysis, especially Schrock. 

Congrats! :) I wouldn't be surprised if you got into every school on your list. Looks like you're going to have a fun time deciding which one of the top schools you'll be attending!

Today I've just received an e-mail from my POI with a title "Congratulations!". I immediately thought I've just been accepted to another schools!
But turns out it was from Texas A&M :lol: (which I have been offered admission as early as 03 Dec).

Nevermind~ But did anyone of you have contacted your POI asking for research prospects and details etc? What questions did you ask? I want to reply my POI's e-mail, but I don't know what to ask (seems awkward). Do you have any suggestion?

Edited by Maxtini

Today I've just received an e-mail from my POI with a title "Congratulations!". I immediately thought I've just been accepted to another schools!

But turns out it was from Texas A&M :lol: (which I have been offered admission as early as 03 Dec).

Nevermind~ But did anyone of you have contacted your POI asking for research prospects and details etc? What questions did you ask? I want to reply my POI's e-mail, but I don't know what to ask (seems awkward). Do you have any suggestion?

I just requested my POI to recommend some recent papers from the group (because he never really seems to update his group website so I couldn't honestly get a clue what I will be doing). I'm supposed to have a phone call from him some time this month and talk about research plans and stuff.. ergh. 

Edited by Bruehl

Newbie here. Question for all the others accepted to UC Berkeley: did you all receive calls from POIs? I only received a generic department email, and nothing else.

I also got only a generic email from the Chair professor of Chemistry saying that I'm admitted to UC Berkeley and some information on the stipend and visiting weekends, although I've been in contact with one of the professors and also included his name in my application... 

Congrats! :) I wouldn't be surprised if you got into every school on your list. Looks like you're going to have a fun time deciding which one of the top schools you'll be attending!

Today has been a day of ups and downs: found out my dog has cancer and is dying and literally 10 min later heard from MIT... Very funny how life works!

Looks like UNC is continuing to send out notifications.  Found out I was accepted this morning!  I applied to the inorganic division if anyone is curious.

Edit: Less than an hour later I received also received an acceptance from Yale.  Woohoo!!

Edited by Organometallics

Just got an email from a PI at MIT which I had not mentioned in my SOP, in order to schedule a phone call to "learn more about my interests". I assume this is their way of conducting interviews, and I was curious if anyone here had one.

Just got an email from a PI at MIT which I had not mentioned in my SOP, in order to schedule a phone call to "learn more about my interests". I assume this is their way of conducting interviews, and I was curious if anyone here had one.

I got a similar email regarding a "short phone call" just before new years. It was very much an interview. :)

Edited by Svann

Looks like UNC is continuing to send out notifications.  Found out I was accepted this morning!  I applied to the inorganic division if anyone is curious.

Edit: Less than an hour later I received also received an acceptance from Yale.  Woohoo!!

Congrats!! I was accepted to Yale today as well! Guess I will be seeing you during the visit in March. :)