Waiting Game--how do you deal with the waiting anxiety?

procedural memory

Similar story here. I grew up in LA/OC in SoCal and it's just not my cup of tea. I don't like being outside. I don't like the sun. I like cozy fires and bars that are 100 years old (hence my applications to schools in New England, NYC, and the UK).

I've applied to four schools in California though, because my parents are aging and I want to be close to them if I can.

This past holiday season, on my trip back home, I tried to get more into the Jet Set era of Los Angeles. The art, the architecture, the history. Watched 'Los Angeles Plays Itself' on Netflix. That actually kindof got me into the mood of "okaaayyyy I can see living here again."

I'm somewhat in the same boat. Only I'm from Northern CA and think of it as a dirty, dusty, meth pit. Very few people that I grew up with are actually doing something productive in their lives. To each their own. But I'd never go back.

I find the youngness of LA fun, though. I'm all about quirky bars and new brunch spots. At the same time, I used to be involved in one of LA's historical societies that involved Great Gatsby release parties, swing dancing, and historical tours. I find the old LA just as fascinating as the new.

That being said, I am also ready to move. Mostly because I get stir crazy if I live in the same area for too long and would like to give the oddness of the east coast a try.

I generally wake up, have my cup of coffee, read some academic papers related to my field, stress about graduate school, decide I should go lift weights, lift weights, stress about graduate school, find myself at work-stressing about graduate school.

I think it is fair to say I repeat this process daily, and will likely continue to do so until I receive my first acceptance! Like everyone else, I have a lot riding on this application season, specifically an internship that would allow me to gain valuable experience in the industry I hope to become a part of. I am hoping for news soon!

I wish you all the best of luck!

I generally try to call up friends to have lunch or a drink and explore the nearby surroundings on my own - perhaps some practice for photographic memory haha. I would go running too except it's just too cold, so I often end up staying indoors all day doing minor weight lifting, tutoring, and binge-watching random shows on Netflix if time is available.

I started looking for conferences to submit to, just to do something productive with my time. I'm finding that the conferences for which I have papers to present and conferences that match with my interests are either the week before or the week of my comps. Boo.

I generally try to call up friends to have lunch or a drink and explore the nearby surroundings on my own - perhaps some practice for photographic memory haha. I would go running too except it's just too cold, so I often end up staying indoors all day doing minor weight lifting, tutoring, and binge-watching random shows on Netflix if time is available.

What do you mean? Do you do online tutoring?

No I tutor full time (not online). I don't tutor outdoors lol.

Right, lol, of course not. S'pose I was just thinking of getting from one place to another :) I'm on a moto, so ... if it's bad outside... it's REALLY bad on the bike. 

I'm not dealing with the waiting anxiety well at all. I'm not a patient person to begin with, and not knowing where I'll be next year (law school, grad school, Canada, the States, etc.) is pretty much doing my head in. I try to just focus on enjoying what I'm studying right now and take breaks to go to the gym every once in a while. All in all, I'm finding this pretty brutal.

I suppose "we will get in touch within a couple of weeks" means "we may contact you in precisely two weeks". Gosh, they could've said something during the interview, couldn't they?

I suppose "we will get in touch within a couple of weeks" means "we may contact you in precisely two weeks". Gosh, they could've said something during the interview, couldn't they?

(unrelated but I love your username!!)

I am dealing with the waiting anxiety really bad. I have no idea more why I decide to apply for a MPP degree after Med School. 

I try to study and get ready for USMLE step 2 cs but I'm not focused its horrible.

​Right now I have the feel to old to go further education.

​ohh horrible :-( 

Edited by SirLuke

My mood goes between biting my fingernails and working out excessively (who knew I could run 10 miles?) to get the stress to be manageable. If I don't get into grad school I'm literally moving to another country and pursuing an entirely separate type of degree so the stress can get to me sometimes!

My day usually goes like this:

Go to lab > check GradCafe/Results page (20 mins) > misc. online procrastination (10 mins) > Ok time to do work 

(10 mins later)

check GradCafe/Results page (20 mins) > misc. online procrastination (10 mins) > Ok time to do work

repeat until 5.30 PM. 

...You get the idea. :/

My day usually goes like this:

Go to lab > check GradCafe/Results page (20 mins) > misc. online procrastination (10 mins) > Ok time to do work 

(10 mins later)

check GradCafe/Results page (20 mins) > misc. online procrastination (10 mins) > Ok time to do work

repeat until 5.30 PM. 

...You get the idea. :/

omg this is me.....

except the "lab" part... I'm a freelancer so it's "go to kitchen table > set up temporary-for-the-day desk > check GradCafe...".............etc.

Edited by jujubea

Right, lol, of course not. S'pose I was just thinking of getting from one place to another :) I'm on a moto, so ... if it's bad outside... it's REALLY bad on the bike. 

Do you live somewhere in the northeast? I live near NYC and it's been brutally cold last week :( though I feel like if I ever have any unmotivated students I should teach them in the freezing cold to toughen them up... just kidding about that one haha