Whatcha reading?

ashiepoo72

7 hours ago, Neist said:

How do you like Nature's Metropolis? It's to be discussed for next week's class. I thought it look pretty interesting!

Nature's Metropolis is in my top 3 favorite books. Cronon has a way with words, and the book is--imo--so well structured that it's a dream to read. I hope you enjoy it!

14 hours ago, KLZ said:

Nature's Metropolis is one of my favorite books. 

8 hours ago, ashiepoo72 said:

Nature's Metropolis is in my top 3 favorite books. Cronon has a way with words, and the book is--imo--so well structured that it's a dream to read. I hope you enjoy it!

Good to hear ringing endorsements. :) I look forward to reading it this weekend!

I'm trying reading only two books at a time after getting a bit overwhelmed by my rotating roster of ten (and all my library holds coming in at once). I am currently reading Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray and rededicating myself to finishing Joel Kaye's fantastic A History of Balance, 1250-1375. On hiatus are:

• A Field Guide to Getting Lost by Rebecca Solnit
  • The Art of Cruelty: A Reckoning by Maggie Nelson
  • Inventing the Middle Ages: The Lives, Works, and Ideas of the Great Medievalists of the Twentieth Century by Norman F. Cantor
  • The Witches of New York by Ami McKay
  • Rules of Civility by Amor Towles
  • Presumed Incompetent: The Intersections of Race and Class for Women in Academia edited by Gabriella Gutiérrez y Muhs
  • Ulysses by James Joyce
  • Wonders and the Order of Nature, 1150-1750 by Lorraine Daston and Katharine Park (second or third reread, but first time reading it cover to cover)
  • Openness, Secrecy, Authorship: Technical Arts and the Culture of Knowledge from Antiquity to the Renaissance by Pamela O. Long

11 hours ago, gnossienne n.3 said:

I'm trying reading only two books at a time after getting a bit overwhelmed by my rotating roster of ten (and all my library holds coming in at once). I am currently reading Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray and rededicating myself to finishing Joel Kaye's fantastic A History of Balance, 1250-1375. On hiatus are:

• A Field Guide to Getting Lost by Rebecca Solnit
  • The Art of Cruelty: A Reckoning by Maggie Nelson
  • Inventing the Middle Ages: The Lives, Works, and Ideas of the Great Medievalists of the Twentieth Century by Norman F. Cantor
  • The Witches of New York by Ami McKay
  • Rules of Civility by Amor Towles
  • Presumed Incompetent: The Intersections of Race and Class for Women in Academia edited by Gabriella Gutiérrez y Muhs
  • Ulysses by James Joyce
  • Wonders and the Order of Nature, 1150-1750 by Lorraine Daston and Katharine Park (second or third reread, but first time reading it cover to cover)
  • Openness, Secrecy, Authorship: Technical Arts and the Culture of Knowledge from Antiquity to the Renaissance by Pamela O. Long

That's an interesting list, especially Rebecca Solnit's book.  It brings to mind that we as historians often get lost in research and thought.  Thanks, I'm putting the book in my Amazon shopping cart.  

27 minutes ago, ltr317 said:

That's an interesting list, especially Rebecca Solnit's book.  It brings to mind that we as historians often get lost in research and thought.  Thanks, I'm putting the book in my Amazon shopping cart.  

You're in NYC, you can get it from the public library! I'm reading a digital library copy :)

14 minutes ago, gnossienne n.3 said:

You're in NYC, you can get it from the public library! I'm reading a digital library copy :)

Thanks.  I even have NYPL Marli privileges. 

I always read too many books at once. Currently, I'm midway through the following:

• Women, Race, & Class by Angela Davis
  • Guerrillas of Desire by Kevin Van Meter
  • Bitter Fruit: African American Women in World War II by Maureen Honey (ed.)
  • Diasporic Africa: A Reader by Michael Gomez
  • Women and the American Labor Movement by Philip S. Foner
  • Hidden Figures by Margot Lee Shetterly
  • Neurotribes: The Legacy of Autism and the Future of Neurodiversity by Steve Silberman
  • Time on Two Crosses: The Collected Writings of Bayard Rustin by Don Weise and Devon Carbado (eds.)
  • The Collected Poems of Sylvia Plath
  • Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

Unfortunately, I can't recommend Hidden Figures or Neurotribes—the lack of comprehensible citation systems is driving me up the wall! Popular history books may not be for me...

Not required, but currently moving through at my leisure (I am an insane person who reads extra on top of history coursework):

• The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat: and Other Clinical Tales by Sacks
  • Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance by Duckworth
  • Librarianship in Gilded Age America, An Anthology of Writings, 1868–1901
  • Library Daylight, Tracings of Modern Librarianship, 1874-1922

One can never read too many books.

Currently at the coffee shop with Bread and Roses: Mills, Migrants, and the Struggle for the American Dream, and Rethinking the American Labor Movement. Currently taking American Labor History, so I'm getting my fair share of the labor movement from 1870-1920.

50 minutes ago, kenalyass said:

Currently at the coffee shop with Bread and Roses: Mills, Migrants, and the Struggle for the American Dream, and Rethinking the American Labor Movement. Currently taking American Labor History, so I'm getting my fair share of the labor movement from 1870-1920.

Have you had a chance to read Living My Life by Emma Goldman? 

16 hours ago, kenalyass said:

I haven't! I do have a book that is a collection of articles from Mother Earth.

Emma Goldman is one of my favorite people in labor history along with Bakunin and Kropotkin. My paper for Women in Politics was about Goldman and she is fascinating. She escaped deportation a few times and was implicated in the assassination of McKinley, but was never brought to trial because the belief at the time was that a woman was not capable of inciting a man to kill a sitting president.

30 minutes ago, khigh said:

Emma Goldman is one of my favorite people in labor history along with Bakunin and Kropotkin. My paper for Women in Politics was about Goldman and she is fascinating. She escaped deportation a few times and was implicated in the assassination of McKinley, but was never brought to trial because the belief at the time was that a woman was not capable of inciting a man to kill a sitting president.

She is incredible! The Progressive Era IMO is one of the most fascinating periods of American history.

• 4 months later...

Happy summer, everyone! What are you reading, whether for research or for pleasure? 

I'm in the middle of The Experiential Caribbean  by Pablo Gómez. It's been a while since I've read a book that's so electrifying. The clarity and strength of his argument is just phenomenal.

Just finished David Wheat's Atlantic Africa and the Spanish Caribbean. Well researched, but not necessarily well structured.

To get my sci-fi/fantasy fix, I'm reading N.K. Jemisin's Broken Earth trilogy. 

2 hours ago, Balleu said:

I'm in the middle of The Experiential Caribbean  by Pablo Gómez. It's been a while since I've read a book that's so electrifying. The clarity and strength of his argument is just phenomenal.

That book, according to a very well-known emeritus, is going to make a big impact on history of medicine. I've read it as well (most of the HoS students in Wisconsin have) and found it just as thought-provoking as you have.

I'm currently reading Bruce's The Launching of Modern American Science.

I'm currently working through a second reading of Paola Bertucci's Artisanal Enlightenment  that came out last year. The argument is quite interesting and well researched but a bit lacking in terms of scope.

Edited by WhaleshipEssex

I've mostly been reading articles related to aspects of my dissertation. I'm one of those lucky (cursed?) people whose work lacks a robust historiographical tradition from which to pull, so I've had to cobble it together piecemeal and comparatively--articles have been the best way to start weaving the threads together.

As for books, I recently started Sovereign Emergencies by Patrick William Kelly, which so far is quite compelling. I've also been going through John Prados' entire bibliography.

Currently reading:

Go Tell It on the Mountain by James Baldwin

From the War on Poverty to the War on Crime: The Making of Mass Incarceration in America by Elizabeth Hinton

And making my way through the Foucault Reader.

For both pleasure and research, I'm reading Sweet Land of Liberty by Thomas Sugrue. The book has been great and I think I have found a possible dissertation topic because of it. Next on the list is to finish The Blood of Emmett Till, and probably start on a book that I got for my birthday. Haven't decided on which yet.  

Since school is starting soon, I'm also "reading" on the books needed to for two of my classes. Hopefully, I will have most of them read by the time school starts. 

2 hours ago, ashiepoo72 said:

I've mostly been reading articles related to aspects of my dissertation. I'm one of those lucky (cursed?) people whose work lacks a robust historiographical tradition from which to pull, so I've had to cobble it together piecemeal and comparatively--articles have been the best way to start weaving the threads together.

As for books, I recently started Sovereign Emergencies by Patrick William Kelly, which so far is quite compelling. I've also been going through John Prados' entire bibliography.

Check your messages, please.

James Jaccard and Jacob Jacoby, Theory Construction and Model-Building Skills: A Practical Guide for Social Scientists and Diana Mishkova and Balázs Trencsényi (editors), European Regions and Boundaries: A Conceptual History .

17 hours ago, ashiepoo72 said:

I'm one of those lucky (cursed?) people whose work lacks a robust historiographical tradition from which to pull, so I've had to cobble it together piecemeal and comparatively--articles have been the best way to start weaving the threads together.

Well the state of the field part of my prospectus treats five distinct historiographies so the other side of the fence isn't great either.

8 hours ago, telkanuru said:

Well the state of the field part of my prospectus treats five distinct historiographies so the other side of the fence isn't great either.

It's always a "grass is greener" situation, isn't it haha

I bet your prospectus was lovely. Do you have a favorite book that you discussed in the state of the field section?