Fall 2015 Acceptances (and Rejections) Thread

Anonymona

congrats to sd folks! anyone have any idea how acceptance to science studies works? i asked to be considered for the cluster on my app and in my letter but my acceptance letter doesn't mention it. 

That's a good question. I have no idea. I, too, asked to be considered in my app as my interests are (sort of) related, and I thought it might increase my chances of getting accepted (lol).

Maybe those who are admitted are given a choice between programs? I am not sure if it is "separate," or if those in the SOC program just enroll in science studies courses.. It's also possible that admissions are separate and we might be hearing from both?

That's a good question. I have no idea. I, too, asked to be considered in my app as my interests are (sort of) related, and I thought it might increase my chances of getting accepted (lol).

Maybe those who are admitted are given a choice between programs? I am not sure if it is "separate," or if those in the SOC program just enroll in science studies courses.. It's also possible that admissions are separate and we might be hearing from both?

i asked and this was the reply: Your admission was for the Department of Sociology.  The Science Studies Program is still undergoing their review and will be making decisions shortly.

i asked and this was the reply: Your admission was for the Department of Sociology.  The Science Studies Program is still undergoing their review and will be making decisions shortly.

Thanks for doing that - Good to know!

From their website: "Students must be admitted to one of the Program's four home departments in order to gain admission or fellowship support in the Science Studies Program."

So, I guess we passed the first step.. 

Edited by CeeB

I called SUNY Stony Brook this afternoon, and they said that the AdCom is meeting tomorrow. They weren't sure whether or not decisions would be made during that time, but she expected they might start making some between now and next week. Hope that helps anyone who has applied there!

I was one of the folks accepted at Brown. Funding information was also in the formal acceptance letter. Feel free to pm!

Thank you so much! I haven't got anything. It seemed that Brown sent out rejection letters one day after sending the offers. I think I will get a rejection letter tomorrow.

Congratulations!

Binghamton's meeting now too and I think similar timeframe. I'd guess Albany and Buffalo maybe as well. Good luck!

I called SUNY Stony Brook this afternoon, and they said that the AdCom is meeting tomorrow. They weren't sure whether or not decisions would be made during that time, but she expected they might start making some between now and next week. Hope that helps anyone who has applied there!

Still no word from Columbia for me -- website is still saying "submitted". Does this mean I'm probably accepted to the MA? This is so confusing!

Mine says the same, and I didn't apply for the MA (and actually am a grad of their MA program, so I can only assume they aren't going to offer me MA admission as a consolation prize like they do with some other PhD applicants...) I would just wait it out a little while. If the administrative assistants in that department say not all acceptances have been sent out, I'm inclined to trust them despite the mixed messages. Try not to think about it too much and good luck! :)

Mine says the same, and I didn't apply for the MA (and actually am a grad of their MA program, so I can only assume they aren't going to offer me MA admission as a consolation prize like they do with some other PhD applicants...) I would just wait it out a little while. If the administrative assistants in that department say not all acceptances have been sent out, I'm inclined to trust them despite the mixed messages. Try not to think about it too much and good luck! :)

are you in the quantitative data analysis program? I applied to it. Is that good?

I was in the general MA in sociology at Columbia, and graduated last May. It's a great program. Happy to provide answers to anyone's questions about it!

are you in the quantitative data analysis program? I applied to it. Is that good?

What do you guys do to relieve the anxiety? I'm definitely about to lose it, lol.

In January before I heard from Princeton and UCLA, I blocked this site using the app selfcontrol and I made a conscious effort to avoid talking about grad school in conversation. It wasn't easy (nor was it 100% effective), but it did help me focus on other things.

Other than throwing myself into my work/friendships, I also made myself a list of things I wanted to do (paint, read certain books, etc). Whenever I had free time and I started get anxious/waste time googling the same grad-related things, I picked something from the list and did that instead.

Exercise and eating (the two combined cancel each other out, which works)...I also tried meditating, which was somewhat helpful, and forced myself to take a couple 2-day breaks from the internet/using my phone if it didn't interfere with necessary work.

As much as this site has been a source of valuable information, especially with regard to putting together an application, I think it really affected my anxiety. It is so easy to obsess when there is an almost constant stream of information and speculation, though knowing other people are going through the same thing is helpful. It was good to realize I wasn't the only one completely freaking out when adcoms started to meet/send things out to applicants.

Exercise and eating (the two combined cancel each other out, which works)...I also tried meditating, which was somewhat helpful, and forced myself to take a couple 2-day breaks from the internet/using my phone if it didn't interfere with necessary work.

As much as this site has been a source of valuable information, especially with regard to putting together an application, I think it really affected my anxiety. It is so easy to obsess when there is an almost constant stream of information and speculation, though knowing other people are going through the same thing is helpful. It was good to realize I wasn't the only one completely freaking out when adcoms started to meet/send things out to applicants.

Agreed, this site (and this thread!) have been really helpful throughout the application and waiting process. I would be ten times more anxious without it. I tend to get really anxious, though, so staying off the site for the week and a half when I was waiting for those decisions was the best choice for me, personally, at the time.

The silence from UCSD is killing me... I'm tempted to take their silence as a rejection, since they seemed to send many notifications these last two days. :/

UCSD is killing me. What the hell are they doing? Sending one letter at a time?

In mine, by the middle of the page there is a "Status Update", where the rejection letter is. But I guess you would have received an e-mail about it.