Canadian Fall 2015 Applicant Thread

Mandy P.

:huh: Ahh... I guess I'll email my POI tomorrow... Thanks for the replies you two!!!

LOL! Perhaps both open houses are being held on the same day, and being kept completely separate? I just know the invitation says clinical/clinical dev students only :)

Can someone post the website for toronto clinical psych stats for this year?

Which do you mean, utsc or oise? Oise has not made any offers yet, and I'm not sure utsc is done making offers.

LOL! Perhaps both open houses are being held on the same day, and being kept completely separate? I just know the invitation says clinical/clinical dev students only :)

Oh man that might be the case XD... geez

Yeah that was me! I say "generic" because it didn't seem personalized to me in any way - but I don't know if it was one of many sent at the same time or not. The email did state "There are quite of [sic] few applicants we are in the process of contacting," which to me implies that if you didn't get ruled out with a rejection email like I did, they may yet contact you or have you on a waitlist perhaps. I have my fingers crossed for you!

I also got a rejection email today (with the same typo!)  :( 

Oh well, Queen's was not my top choice anyways... good luck to everyone else! 

Got accepted today into Lakehead,but not much funding and no TA.

Also got shortlisted for an interview at Guelph Feel soooo relieved. I got rejected from Waterloo, but wasn't my top choice so I don't care.

First rejection today - University of Regina. I logged on to site to see "Decision made" "not accepted" :mellow: It is my first rejection and it smarts. Bright side is that I would rather know sooner than later I guess.

First rejection today - University of Regina. I logged on to site to see "Decision made" "not accepted" :mellow: It is my first rejection and it smarts. Bright side is that I would rather know sooner than later I guess.

I had a rejection first too (a very rude one I must say), and lost hope for one day.

Stay positive ;) 

Thanks Sujie, for the encouragement - it really did help to feel less alone.

I've been reading this thread for awhile. This process can feel discouraging, some days more than others. Keep your head up - even if you don't get in to any schools this year you are on the right path and something will come your way. Might just mean trying again next year with an even stronger CV. We are unstoppable! :)

Got accepted today into Lakehead,but not much funding and no TA.

Also got shortlisted for an interview at Guelph Feel soooo relieved. I got rejected from Waterloo, but wasn't my top choice so I don't care.

Lakehead clinical?

Could anyone who had been interviewed at Guelph (clinical applicants too) share your experience? Is the interview more like a formality or it is a serious step of the admission process? Where you offered admission after the interview?

Could anyone who had been interviewed at Guelph (clinical applicants too) share your experience? Is the interview more like a formality or it is a serious step of the admission process? Where you offered admission after the interview?

Hi Sujie, 

I have never applied to Guelph Clinical, but I have done the interview circuit for clinical programs in both Canada and the USA. I thought I would chime in because this seems to be a pretty common question on the forums. Essentially, this process is so competitive that absolutely no part of it should be considered a formality until you receive an official acceptance. That doesn't mean that you should be incredibly formal at each step as building rapport with potential supervisors is integral to success. It does, however, mean that each aspect of the application should be taken seriously, because at each step you could be removed consideration. 

Hi Sujie, 

I have never applied to Guelph Clinical, but I have done the interview circuit for clinical programs in both Canada and the USA. I thought I would chime in because this seems to be a pretty common question on the forums. Essentially, this process is so competitive that absolutely no part of it should be considered a formality until you receive an official acceptance. That doesn't mean that you should be incredibly formal at each step as building rapport with potential supervisors is integral to success. It does, however, mean that each aspect of the application should be taken seriously, because at each step you could be removed consideration. 

Thank you! 

Just got my rejection (unofficial, I think) from Ryerson. Little bummed out. POI basically said that the committee did not recommend me as one of the top applicants.

For students who have gotten in this year or previous years, could you share a bit of your application background, like publications, research and clinical experience and whatever else that you think may have made your application strong. Just baffled as to what else I need to do... Thought I pulled all the stops this time.

Appreciate it. Thanks :)

I interviewed at Guelph about a week ago. I couldn't make on on-site interview, so I requested a Skype interview. My first was with two members of the department (my POI and one other faculty member) and I had another phone interview with another professor as well a few days later. Apparently they try to have all the prospective students interview/chat with at least three faculty members. I got the feeling that it was a crucial step in the admissions process as they ask a lot of questions about your fit to your POI's research, and your suitability/emotional preparedness to work in child clinical settings. I think how you answer these questions plays quite a big role in how suited they think you are for the program!

Have you interviewed at Guelph already? (If you haven't, good luck!!  :D )

(Edit: I interviewed for clinical!)

Edited by reihino

If anyone has been wondering about McGill, I emailed my POI yesterday and she had already made a shortlist of candidates and is interviewing them next week (not great news for me, but oh well :)). I know a few other people who have been extended interviews and some who have been made offers ~1-2 weeks ago, but in my email my POI mentioned that other professors may still be making their list of candidates, so if you haven't heard, don't give up hope!  :)

If anyone has been wondering about McGill, I emailed my POI yesterday and she had already made a shortlist of candidates and is interviewing them next week (not great news for me, but oh well :)). I know a few other people who have been extended interviews and some who have been made offers ~1-2 weeks ago, but in my email my POI mentioned that other professors may still be making their list of candidates, so if you haven't heard, don't give up hope!  :)

Is this only for the clinical program? 

I interviewed at Guelph about a week ago. I couldn't make on on-site interview, so I requested a Skype interview. My first was with two members of the department (my POI and one other faculty member) and I had another phone interview with another professor as well a few days later. Apparently they try to have all the prospective students interview/chat with at least three faculty members. I got the feeling that it was a crucial step in the admissions process as they ask a lot of questions about your fit to your POI's research, and your suitability/emotional preparedness to work in child clinical settings. I think how you answer these questions plays quite a big role in how suited they think you are for the program!

Have you interviewed at Guelph already? (If you haven't, good luck!!  :D )

(Edit: I interviewed for clinical!)

Thanks, where you accepted to the program? My interview will be at the end of this month, the POI said we will talk about my interests and experience. I had an interview at another school and it really seemed like a casual talk, the POI was so kind and welcoming, as if I was already accepted.But I don't know the result of that interview yet.

Been a while since I've been on here! I have also been rejected from Queen's and presumed to be rejected from York (from the comments here that the open house is this week). Queen's rejection email was probably the same for all rejections but they said "The most common reason for not admitting a student is simply that no faculty member asked that the student be admitted which leads to automatic rejection. Common reasons for not asking for a student include the faculty member already having as many students as he or she is comfortable supervising or imminent sabbatical leaves." Pretty unbelievable to read this since all my three POIs were taking students. Must actually mean my application was not strong enough :(

Will anyone be emailing their POIs for real reasons for rejections? I want to but I do not know if it is appropriate?

UPDATE: Just checked my York U Myfile and it says 'Reviewed - unsuccessful'

Edited by Psyc101