Canadian Fall 2015 Applicant Thread

Mandy P.

Been a while since I've been on here! I have also been rejected from Queen's and presumed to be rejected from York (from the comments here that the open house is this week). Queen's rejection email was probably the same for all rejections but they said "The most common reason for not admitting a student is simply that no faculty member asked that the student be admitted which leads to automatic rejection. Common reasons for not asking for a student include the faculty member already having as many students as he or she is comfortable supervising or imminent sabbatical leaves." Pretty unbelievable to read this since all my three POIs were taking students. Must actually mean my application was not strong enough :(

Will anyone be emailing their POIs for real reasons for rejections? I want to but I do not know if it is appropriate?

UPDATE: Just checked my York U Myfile and it says 'Reviewed - unsuccessful'

I think it's okay to email your POI to ask about the reason for rejection, as long as you do it professionally. :) I'm planning on doing that myself today or tomorrow. It feels awkward and I'd rather not think about the post-interview rejection anymore, but I want to learn from my failures more than I am scared! Let's do this! :)

All offers for Ryerson have been sent out. Congrats to those who made it. It was a VERY competitive year.

For both clinical and psychological sciences?

I think it's okay to email your POI to ask about the reason for rejection, as long as you do it professionally. :) I'm planning on doing that myself today or tomorrow. It feels awkward and I'd rather not think about the post-interview rejection anymore, but I want to learn from my failures more than I am scared! Let's do this! :)

I think I am going to go for it as well. I need to know so I can learn from my mistakes! Good luck!

If you were rejected after an interview, there is an extremely good chance there was NOTHING wrong with your application and that your POI, having only one spot for a student, found someone who seemed like a better match/had experience in a research direction they wanted to pursue. In some cases, the POI may have known a student previously and already knew they wanted to continue working with them. I think if you are rejected post-interview, I would just say thanks for their time and wish them luck, because it honestly is not that your application was weak (if it was even somewhat weak, you would not have gotten an interview). This is just my opinion. If you didn't receive an interview, you could ask what was wrong I suppose.

All offers for Ryerson have been sent out. Congrats to those who made it. It was a VERY competitive year.

For psychological science, but not for clinical. There are people still interviewing with the DCT.

Edited by 3minutes

Please refer to my previous post. All offers. Out.

I did refer to it but there are reports of people interviewing still with the DCT. If all offers were out, wouldn't they have ceased all interviews?

Please refer to my previous post. All offers. Out.

*All first round offers are out. If you interviewed and haven't heard that you are out of consideration, it might be worth contacting your POI to find out if you are on their waiting list, and how many people are a head of you. 

I did refer to it but there are reports of people interviewing still with the DCT. If all offers were out, wouldn't they have ceased all interviews?

At Ryerson DCT interviews are not always interviews to get into the program. They are often used as recruitment interviews. And again, first round offers have been made, but a professor might have taken a risk on a student (e.g., very highly sought after student who is 50/50 on accepting the RU offer and accepting another offer) and thus is still somewhat continuing the interview process to determine which of the next students would be the second choice. 

Probably means you have made the department shortlist but perhaps didn't rank high enough on your POI's shortlist to get an interview. Yet.

Perhaps. But both of my POIs were not able to tell me in time that they aren't accepting this year so I am a little frustrated. I doubt anyone else will look at my applications given others will have addressed them directly in their SOPs.

Probably will have the change of status on MyFile soon..

Thanks nuih!

I found applying for CGS-M pretty difficult myself. It is my first time applying and I was confused between CIHR and SSHRC and asked some grad students about it. They said to go for SSHRC because they have more of it to give away than CIHR, so I tried to shape my proposed research to SSHRC standards!

Great Advice :) 

Perhaps. But both of my POIs were not able to tell me in time that they aren't accepting this year so I am a little frustrated. I doubt anyone else will look at my applications given others will have addressed them directly in their SOPs.

Probably will have the change of status on MyFile soon..

Aw... so frustrating. We put so much time into our applications (plus the cost!), you'd think profs could let you know sooner that they're not accepting a new student. Or at least have who is/isn't accepting on the website and maintain it. As some schools do, but was more the minority.

Oh btw I emailed my POI at York (developmental science stream btw -- I think I'm the only one here) on Monday and she very nicely told me that she already offered the spot to someone else.

Good luck to everyone else!!

Edited by nuih

Oh btw I emailed my POI at York (developmental science stream btw -- I think I'm the only one here) on Monday and she very nicely told me that she already offered the spot to someone else.

Good luck to everyone else!!

Hi,

First time poster but long time lurker. Can you tell me the name or initials of your POI. I have been invited to the Open House on Friday but I am not sure how stiff the competition is at this stage.

Hi,

First time poster but long time lurker. Can you tell me the name or initials of your POI. I have been invited to the Open House on Friday but I am not sure how stiff the competition is at this stage.

Sent you a message :)

What I think is being overlooked about York here is they have SO many faculty. It's hard for them to know in the summer or early fall who is going to be allowed to take a student the next year.

Understandable. But the amount of money and effort that goes into these applications doesnt make me feel better that they cant decide early. Sorry just a little frustrated. 

Does anyone know when faculty receives results from the tri-council? I know they arent released to us until April, but I know the shcools get them earlier to help their decisions. Anyone know when that is? 

Two applicants () received info from their schools...?

I have checked my email probably 100 times in the past 12 hours hoping to hear from OISE (one way or the other, I just want to know!). I'm ashamed to say I kept waking up in the middle of the night to refresh my email :blink: Not sure why I expected a prof would send me an email at 4am, LOL.

EDIT: Interesting that this is the first instance of an OISE SCCP interview being posted on the results page... maybe interviews are new for this year?

Edited by student896