Canadian Fall 2015 Applicant Thread

Mandy P.

Has anyone heard from Memorial (PsyD) yet about the interview dates? They had some delays with the weather, but I still haven't heard when they want me to come out... I'm getting a wee bit anxious!!!

@student896 - I got the same thing last week. It says to check on April 1st.

I got that this morning but my status hasn't changed. I think it was just a reminder for us to check for a status update on April 1st.

So I checked with the PsyD secretary (very nice), and they actually sent the request to all of the applicants regarding them starting the interview process. It was an unfortunately, badly worded email that implied that the emailed receipient was on the list to be interviewed. In actuality, it was intended to let applicants know that they were taking students this year and they were reviewing applicants for the shortlist for interviews. They will be letting the shortlisted applicants know this Thursday/Friday. I am feeling a little deflated.

I have a pretty decent gpa (3.9 GPA Cummulative/ 4.02 Psych Cummulative), while mainting full-time employment + TA + Tutoring, good GRE verbal and quantitative scores plus I was offered a SSHRC last year and I have very good letters of recommendation. I'll be really bummed if I don't get an interview...

Did anyone else get an email from CGS-M yesterday? It just said "the status if your application has changed" but when I logged into research portal nothing had changed...

I got that email as well! When I checked, for some reason, the date for the University of Guelph had changed to 03/24/15 and the status was "received by administrator" :S. Even though I'm positive I had been notified they had received it way beforehand...

Just stumbled upon this website...I went through the thread and didn't find any info on Concordia clinical. Has anyone heard from them by any chance? Rejection or acceptance?

I applied to the clinical program at Concordia as well. Haven't heard anything! The portal says my application is in review. I tried calling the admissions assistant, no answer

Anyone have any news about McGill's clinical program (PhD)? Interviews? Acceptances? Anything?

I haven't heard anything either, no interview, uapply says my application is still in review. I called the graduate program coordinator, she said they haven't updated the site in a while, but I know other people who received updates just last week 

So, I was just extended an offer to OISE clinical and counseling. I was not given an interview and had not heard anything back until today. So I had already accepted at Ryerson. Any insight into the comparison of these two programs? Did I do the right thing? Haha

I posted this in a separate thread, but has anyone heard of a case of being given an external scholarship (CGS-M) at an university that has more than likely rejected your application?

I posted this in a separate thread, but has anyone heard of a case of being given an external scholarship (CGS-M) at an university that has more than likely rejected your application?

Yup! Last year I was offered CGS-M at two schools and was rejected from them both. The departments and the graduate awards offices don't talk to each other at all.

Yup! Last year I was offered CGS-M at two schools and was rejected from them both. The departments and the graduate awards offices don't talk to each other at all.

Thanks! I assume there's no way this will entice them to reconsider my application, huh?  ^_^

And I'm not going to do this, but, in theory, what happens if I accepted the offer?

Edited by Jay's Brain

Thanks! I assume there's no way this will entice them to reconsider my application, huh?  ^_^

And I'm not going to do this, but, in theory, what happens if I accepted the offer?

So last year, I did accept one of the offers since I was waitlisted at the school and didn't want to lose out on it if I got accepted off the wait list. Essentially, you can't get the money without admission since it all goes through the school, so in September when I was formally rejected, I got in touch with the graduate awards office and withdrew my acceptance of the offer.

That being said, if you are still waiting to hear back from schools and haven't been rejected yet, you should get in touch with the departments and let them know you were offered the award. At least that's what all my profs told me to do, haha. Didn't make any difference but it can't hurt, right?

So last year, I did accept one of the offers since I was waitlisted at the school and didn't want to lose out on it if I got accepted off the wait list. Essentially, you can't get the money without admission since it all goes through the school, so in September when I was formally rejected, I got in touch with the graduate awards office and withdrew my acceptance of the offer.

That being said, if you are still waiting to hear back from schools and haven't been rejected yet, you should get in touch with the departments and let them know you were offered the award. At least that's what all my profs told me to do, haha. Didn't make any difference but it can't hurt, right?

Yeah I just contacted one of my potential PIs to see what their take is, and emailed the grad office too. It's actually for York.

Congrats by the way on your acceptance to UofT! If the above peculiarity of mine doesn't affect my application in any other way I'll also be going to UofT this Fall for their Master's program in Psychology  :) Definitely cool to meet other people in similar programs!

Yep, I was in that boat last year. I was already rejected at the school but I was offered the CGS-M a month later. I did contact the school to try and, sadly, got nowhere, but it was definitely worth the shot. The next best thing is that I get to put on my CV that I had been offered the scholarship but declined. This shows that you can get external funding, which I think is an extra feather in your cap. I had one prof that wrote my main reference letter for the scholarship (my supervisor bailed at the last minute to complete the reference so I got a prof from another department to do it for me the day it was due) and I told him later that I got the award but the school didn't take me after I contacted them again and he almost flipped his lid. Sadly, in psych and especially clinical psych, it is not that likely to get an acceptance after a rejection (or a likely rejection due to no interview). If we were in biology or classics, poi's would be knocking down our doors!

It's always worth a shot emailing them to see if they'd consider your application because you have tri-council funding. Likely they'll say no, but I did this and that's how I got into my current grad program after having been previously rejected from it (back in the old days of the CGS-M where you could take it to any school you wanted). 

Edited by FacelessMage

I have a question about CGS-M. It says I can accept the offer May 2015, September 2015, or January 2016. If I am starting school in September, do I need to accept it for Sept. 2015 or can I accept the offer for an earlier date? I looked at the website and it seems that you can only accept an offer earlier if you are enrolled in a program already but just want to make sure.

Has anyone heard from McGill experimental psychology or Concordia clinical psychology...?

Still waiting myself... my file still says under review on Myconcordia, and there is a memo on the front page stating there was some issue/update going on that delayed the reviewing of applicants. Looking at user history for Concordia on this website, however, I found that most people over the last few years received clinical acceptance/rejection letters mid March - early April...so I guess from Concordia's standpoint they're not exactly "late" yet.

I have a question about CGS-M. It says I can accept the offer May 2015, September 2015, or January 2016. If I am starting school in September, do I need to accept it for Sept. 2015 or can I accept the offer for an earlier date? I looked at the website and it seems that you can only accept an offer earlier if you are enrolled in a program already but just want to make sure.

The funding is for graduate school so you can't accept it before you are actually enrolled in school.