Fall 2015 UT Dallas Applicants?

I applied in january and still havent heard back. I keep getting emails to submit my final college transcript but I do not have that as I am still taking classes this semester. Is anyone else having this problem? It is frustrating to keep getting emails about sending my final transcript when I do not even know if I have been accepted.

Edited by sarah21

I applied in january and still havent heard back. I keep getting emails to submit my final college transcript but I do not have that as I am still taking classes this semester. Is anyone else having this problem? It is frustrating to keep getting emails about sending my final transcript when I do not even know if I have been accepted.

Hi Sarah, the emails you are getting are just automated messages sent by the system. This happens because all acceptances are conditional due to the fact that you are not going to be accepted if you don't receive a bachelor's degree first. Just ignore the emails--there's not a real person sending them, just a computer.

Have you made a decision or are you still waiting to hear back from other schools? As of now I am torn between UTD and TCU. TCU will actually be my cheapest option since I was given a GA position, but I love both programs so I really don't know what I should base my decision on!

I have informally accepted UTD! Even if I had other acceptances, I would have chosen Dallas anyway.

Hi guys - so I visited the UTD Communication Disorders program in March and totally haven't had time to write my impressions of the program (which I think some of you wanted to know!) so here goes: 

The Callier Center is its own building in the Southwestern Medical District of Dallas, about a half hour from the Richardson campus. The building is really unimposing and unimpressive, with plenty of parking in the lots and parking decks, but decently nice inside. 

Dr. Stillman is a wonderful human being - he was so welcoming! This goes for every faculty member I interacted with. Everyone was relaxed, kind, and helpful... faculty and administrative doors were open and people were very accessible, which surprised me considering what a large program UTD is. One of the students remarked to me that she had never needed to make an appointment to interact with Dr. Stillman or the clinical advisor. 

Most of the students I spoke with work part time either out in the community or in the department or with work-study, and said that it was easy to balance practicums, class work, and a job. Paid positions included research, if anyone is interested in that, as well as more administrative positions. There are several research programs going on and the lab facilities seemed very nice, and there is a new center for studying Autism that is being built (might be almost done/near opening!). 

The degree program itself is very flexible, with only 6 (I believe) core classes and a huge number of electives. If you know what you want to specialize in, this is the place to do it! If you want to explore, this is also a great place. Related to that - there are practicum placements all over Dallas, with public and private schools, medical centers, the Callier Center, as well as opportunities on the Richardson campus. Students said that they usually got the practicum placement that they wanted because the students all have such broad interests, no one is studying on the exact same track as someone else. This creates an environment that isn't very competitive, but rather, supportive. The two required practicum experiences are child and adult based, but from there you can follow your interests. 

Overall, if you couldn't tell, I really enjoyed my visit to the program and am seriously considering attending. Let me know if you have any other questions or comments or whatever. I asked about 8000 questions while I was there and everyone was so patient with me, as well as knowledgeable. Yay! 

Thanks for the insight, Schatzie15! I am visiting them this weekend so it's really encouraging to hear how much you liked it. UTD is one of the few schools that offered aid right off the bat for me, and it's awesome that students can balance working alongside schoolwork/practicums. UTD is really starting to become a strong option for me. Did you happen to hear if anyone talked about bilingualism specialization at all? 

Wow, thanks for all the info, Schatzie! :)  I'm kind of wishing I had applied to UT Dallas based on a lot of the things I've heard about their program on this forum. I had no idea they allowed so much flexibility for their students. That's a huge plus and I think I would do better in a program that didn't have such a structured cohort setting. I would love to explore different areas of the field and like that I would have a little more variety in terms of the people in my classes. Seeing the same 20 people everyday will probably get old fast. haha If I don't get in anywhere this cycle, I'll definitely plan on applying there for Spring admissions. 

Thanks for the insight, Schatzie15! I am visiting them this weekend so it's really encouraging to hear how much you liked it. UTD is one of the few schools that offered aid right off the bat for me, and it's awesome that students can balance working alongside schoolwork/practicums. UTD is really starting to become a strong option for me. Did you happen to hear if anyone talked about bilingualism specialization at all? 

I talked about bilingual specialization! It's something I want to pursue, no doubt, and I had mentioned it to Dr. Stillman. He set up an informal meeting for me with Dr. Rojas, the main bilingual researcher and bilingual course faculty member. Dr. Rojas was very nice and extremely knowledgeable, and loved to talk about his research. I listened to it in detail for about 20 minutes, haha. It seemed relatively easy to get involved in his lab and projects. He also said that the Dallas Independent School District (DISD) has parts with predominantly bilingual (English/Spanish) children, so a practicum in that setting would be very useful to those interested in bilingualism. 

My impression of the program was that it's really what you make of it - you can be as specialized or as general as you want. I don't think it would be difficult to incorporate bilingual emphasis into the degree plan, as long as you (and I!) are willing to just run with it. 

Did anyone apply right before the deadline? If so, have you heard back?

Hi , I applied in the beginning of feb and haven't heard anything yet ! I don't know till when we will have to wait

Hi , I applied in the beginning of feb and haven't heard anything yet ! I don't know till when we will have to wait

This is the last school I am waiting to hear from!

Did anyone apply right before the deadline? If so, have you heard back?

i applied on the deadline, and have heard back. maybe it would be a good idea to call the department?

For fellow out of field applicants - are you planning on beginning in the summer or just waiting until fall?

I was told that a large number of out of field students start in the summer, but that would be difficult for me to do. I also don't want to miss out on like, bonding with everyone and getting those prereqs out of the way, though. And I know that if I start in the fall, I won't be able to start a practicum until Spring, whereas if I begin in summer I can jump right into a practicum in the fall.

Summer schedule just begins early - May 24th or 26th, I think - so I would have about two weeks after graduation to move, find housing, get situated, and start classes. Intimidating!

Thoughts?

I would honestly just wait until the Fall. Two weeks is not a lot of time to move and find housing and you don't want to be homeless when classes start! I can't imagine most of the out-of-fielders would get all of their pre-reqs done in the Summer so you should still be able to meet them and bond in classes in the Fall. 

For fellow out of field applicants - are you planning on beginning in the summer or just waiting until fall?

I was told that a large number of out of field students start in the summer, but that would be difficult for me to do. I also don't want to miss out on like, bonding with everyone and getting those prereqs out of the way, though. And I know that if I start in the fall, I won't be able to start a practicum until Spring, whereas if I begin in summer I can jump right into a practicum in the fall.

Summer schedule just begins early - May 24th or 26th, I think - so I would have about two weeks after graduation to move, find housing, get situated, and start classes. Intimidating!

Thoughts?

I'm starting in the fall. One of the professors recommended taking a break, and I'm hoping to go and spend a lot of time with relatives.

Speaking of housing, does anyone have any leads on that?

For apartments, I found this website smartcitylocating.com. It's supposed to find apartments for you based on what information you tell them. I tried it, I don't know if it'll generate good responses but I'll let you guys know :)

I have been in contact with a current UT Dallas student, and she says avoid living in Deep Ellum and South Dallas because these are rougher areas.

For apartments, I found this website smartcitylocating.com. It's supposed to find apartments for you based on what information you tell them. I tried it, I don't know if it'll generate good responses but I'll let you guys know :)

I have been in contact with a current UT Dallas student, and she says avoid living in Deep Ellum and South Dallas because these are rougher areas.

Thanks! I'll definitely check it out!

I find that looking for housing is overwhelming because it drives home that undergrad is over and now I'm a graduate student!