Fall 2015 UT Dallas Applicants?

i applied on the deadline, and have heard back. maybe it would be a good idea to call the department?

I still haven't heard back.. I applied in february. I am getting anxious and thinking about calling the department sometime this week just to ease my nerves!

Thanks! I'll definitely check it out!

I find that looking for housing is overwhelming because it drives home that undergrad is over and now I'm a graduate student!

I live in dallas and currently live right next to UTD's school. Look for apartments on Maple Avenue or search near the Medical District (The Link on Maple; 5225 Maple; The Southwestern on Maple; Amli on Maple; 21 Forty Medical District Apartments; Colonial Reserve at Medical District; Aura Medical District) I have lived in both The Link on Maple and 5225 Maple and currently live at one of those complexes. They are also building a couple of brand new apartments right at Inwood and Maple Ave.  These are very very close to the school.

Uptown is a good option too because it is not too far away and there is always The Village-- it is a bit further away but I think the rent might be a little cheaper over there (it is near SMU- a lot of SMU kids live there but its not wild and crazy full of college kids haha)

I love the Maple Ave. area. I lived here 2 years ago, moved to another part of town (right across the street from The Village near SMU) because I had a roommate, then moved back over here. IT is close to uptown, close to the highways, and an easy drive to pretty much any other part of dallas you want to go to (lower greenville, deep ellum, etc.)

Yes- I advise against South Dallas- I am an SLPA in the home health setting and I work in South Dallas and South Oak Cliff and it can be very rough. Deep Ellum isn't too bad if you find the right apartments. 

congrats to everyone who has gotten in-I'm still waiting! I drive by UTD everyday just crossing my fingers they'll let me in!

I still haven't heard back.. I applied in february. I am getting anxious and thinking about calling the department sometime this week just to ease my nerves!

Have you called the department? I've emailed Dr Stillman on Sunday , so I'm hoping he replies today I'll let you know what you he says .. I'm anxiously waiting for them to accept me

I live in dallas and currently live right next to UTD's school. Look for apartments on Maple Avenue or search near the Medical District (The Link on Maple; 5225 Maple; The Southwestern on Maple; Amli on Maple; 21 Forty Medical District Apartments; Colonial Reserve at Medical District; Aura Medical District) I have lived in both The Link on Maple and 5225 Maple and currently live at one of those complexes. They are also building a couple of brand new apartments right at Inwood and Maple Ave. These are very very close to the school.

Uptown is a good option too because it is not too far away and there is always The Village-- it is a bit further away but I think the rent might be a little cheaper over there (it is near SMU- a lot of SMU kids live there but its not wild and crazy full of college kids haha)

I love the Maple Ave. area. I lived here 2 years ago, moved to another part of town (right across the street from The Village near SMU) because I had a roommate, then moved back over here. IT is close to uptown, close to the highways, and an easy drive to pretty much any other part of dallas you want to go to (lower greenville, deep ellum, etc.)

Yes- I advise against South Dallas- I am an SLPA in the home health setting and I work in South Dallas and South Oak Cliff and it can be very rough. Deep Ellum isn't too bad if you find the right apartments.

congrats to everyone who has gotten in-I'm still waiting! I drive by UTD everyday just crossing my fingers they'll let me in!

This is amazing information! Thank you, and I hope you get accepted!

Hey guys! I visited the program today and LOVED it. Dr. Stillman is seriously so kind and welcoming, and all of the students seemed so passionate about the program. Dr. Stillman told they work really hard to make sure students don't feel super overwhelmed because it is a better learning environment and they want students to be able to have lives outside of school. It's definitely one of my top choices at this point!!

If anyone has any specific questions about my visit or what I asked them about I am happy to answer!

Have you called the department? I've emailed Dr Stillman on Sunday , so I'm hoping he replies today I'll let you know what you he says .. I'm anxiously waiting for them to accept me

What did you say when you emailed?

What did you say when you emailed?

I generally asked when to expect an update

And he replied saying

"At this point, we have admitted nearly all the students we can until we hear back from students already admitted. We have just begun declining applications and will do so over the next week leaving perhaps 20-30 until the April 15 decision deadline. At that point, we will fill in spaces, if there are any, and create a waiting list. Students who have been declined should know pretty soon. However, we will be declining nearly 600 applications and it will take time for all of these to be posted."

Hope this helps everyone :)

They are apparently somewhat behind on their applications. They got over 600 so they're still working through them. I'm glad I have other acceptances - they didn't sound very confident. They may even send out late acceptances in the summer. Good luck everyone!

Hi, so I called the dept and asked where students live and they said a lot of them live in the village. I looked it up and it looks pretty amazing (especially because I will be moving from Cali and would want to socialize/make new friends - since they have a lot of socials, etc)! Does anyone know anything about it? Out of the 16 communities, which ones are best? Please share any insights/things you've heard/thoughts/opinions :)

http://www.thevillageapts.com/

@slpPLS - are you planning on living alone or having roommates? I would love to live alone, but don't think I can spend that much lol.

I'm going to have a roommate :) I'm sure you can find/connect with peeps who are looking for a roommate once theres a fbook group 

I'm going to have a roommate :) I'm sure you can find/connect with peeps who are looking for a roommate once theres a fbook group

I'll create one! Where have you found your roommates?

Hi, so I called the dept and asked where students live and they said a lot of them live in the village. I looked it up and it looks pretty amazing (especially because I will be moving from Cali and would want to socialize/make new friends - since they have a lot of socials, etc)! Does anyone know anything about it? Out of the 16 communities, which ones are best? Please share any insights/things you've heard/thoughts/opinions :)

http://www.thevillageapts.com/

I live in Dallas and have known plenty of people that have lived in the village. I actually use to live in an apartment complex right across the street from the village called The Avery on Southwestern which is also nice! (check it out as well.. I lived there with a roommate and it was reasonably priced for sure) The Village is cool- its a ton of apartment complexes but with the trees, giant park, gym, tennis courts, etc. it feels like a little community within the city. I know they have a lot of events at the country club area for people that live there and it seems like there are people out and about all the time. nearby there is a Target, Walmart, Tom Thumb (groceries), LA Fitness, Central Market, Chick Fil A, In-N-Out..... just about everything haha and it's right off of the highway so its easy to get around.

Northbridge and Upper East Side are the newer complexes so obviously, they are a little nicer along with a little pricier. Those 2 complexes allow pets I believe, but I think the older ones don't allow pets (turn off for me because my boyfriend has a dog that comes over a lot). If you just go to the main office at the country club area of The Village they will give you information on all of them based on the price, etc. that you are looking for! The Village is about 15-20 minutes from the Callier Center

I also commented earlier about apartments near Maple Avenue/Medical District. I highly suggest this area too because it is RIGHT next to the school with a lot of stuff around as well. I lived in this area 2 years ago, moved over by the village for a year because I had a roommate, and when it came time for me to look for a place to live again I moved back on Maple Ave. Just a suggestion--- but either area is great! I know from experience :) 

I live in Dallas and have known plenty of people that have lived in the village. I actually use to live in an apartment complex right across the street from the village called The Avery on Southwestern which is also nice! (check it out as well.. I lived there with a roommate and it was reasonably priced for sure) The Village is cool- its a ton of apartment complexes but with the trees, giant park, gym, tennis courts, etc. it feels like a little community within the city. I know they have a lot of events at the country club area for people that live there and it seems like there are people out and about all the time. nearby there is a Target, Walmart, Tom Thumb (groceries), LA Fitness, Central Market, Chick Fil A, In-N-Out..... just about everything haha and it's right off of the highway so its easy to get around.

Northbridge and Upper East Side are the newer complexes so obviously, they are a little nicer along with a little pricier. Those 2 complexes allow pets I believe, but I think the older ones don't allow pets (turn off for me because my boyfriend has a dog that comes over a lot). If you just go to the main office at the country club area of The Village they will give you information on all of them based on the price, etc. that you are looking for! The Village is about 15-20 minutes from the Callier Center

I also commented earlier about apartments near Maple Avenue/Medical District. I highly suggest this area too because it is RIGHT next to the school with a lot of stuff around as well. I lived in this area 2 years ago, moved over by the village for a year because I had a roommate, and when it came time for me to look for a place to live again I moved back on Maple Ave. Just a suggestion--- but either area is great! I know from experience :)

Thank you for sharing all of that!! I will def look into maple ave/medical district too :)

Maybe it would be a good idea to change the name to UT Dallas Communication Disorders MS Class of 2017 (or something)? That way it's easier to find for people searching for it on Facebook (like I was before logging on to here, lol).

Done! But I'm also keeping the old name so every UTD SLP can join.