2015 Acceptance Thread

isostheneia

Is it typical for MA programs to send out decisions later? I see people talking about how all decisions are out, but I'm sitting here waiting on three or four schools. 

I want to start making plans to attend BC, but if I get a funded offer from Milwaukee or Ryerson I'd have to reconsider. I emailed Western and they informed me that they only have one funded international position and had already sent out that acceptance, but if a lot of domestic applicants decline, they might be able to offer a partially funded spot. That was my second choice so I would definitely have to consider that as well. 

This process is really dragging out quite a bit. Argh.

Is it typical for MA programs to send out decisions later? I see people talking about how all decisions are out, but I'm sitting here waiting on three or four schools. 

I want to start making plans to attend BC, but if I get a funded offer from Milwaukee or Ryerson I'd have to reconsider. I emailed Western and they informed me that they only have one funded international position and had already sent out that acceptance, but if a lot of domestic applicants decline, they might be able to offer a partially funded spot. That was my second choice so I would definitely have to consider that as well. 

This process is really dragging out quite a bit. Argh.

UW Milwaukee will probably release today, tomorrow, or Friday. For some reason, a few of these MA programs release really late. I wonder if it has to do with the fact that so many people who received PhD offers will decline MA offers. Maybe the thought is that, if the MA programs wait until most/all PhD offers are out, the whole process of working through the wait-lists will work much faster. It's possible that an MA program will initially admit 10 people, eight of whom already received decent PhD offers (and who will turn down the MA offer on the same day it's received).

An unrelated point: If you're on a wait-list at a well-known MA program (certainly any of those first seven programs mentioned in Brian Leiter's old post about MA programs) and you're anywhere near the top of that list (even the top half of the list, probably), you'll almost certainly be admitted. Northern Illinois, e.g., tells people near the top of the wait-list that they will almost certainly be admitted but can't formally be admitted until enough offers have been turned down.

UW Milwaukee will probably release today, tomorrow, or Friday. For some reason, a few of these MA programs release really late. I wonder if it has to do with the fact that so many people who received PhD offers will decline MA offers. Maybe the thought is that, if the MA programs wait until most/all PhD offers are out, the whole process of working through the wait-lists will work much faster. It's possible that an MA program will initially admit 10 people, eight of whom already received decent PhD offers (and who will turn down the MA offer on the same day it's received).

An unrelated point: If you're on a wait-list at a well-known MA program (certainly any of those first seven programs mentioned in Brian Leiter's old post about MA programs) and you're anywhere near the top of that list (even the top half of the list, probably), you'll almost certainly be admitted. Northern Illinois, e.g., tells people near the top of the wait-list that they will almost certainly be admitted but can't formally be admitted until enough offers have been turned down.

I emailed NIU and was told that I was not rejected (though I was not told I'm on a wait-list, either), and that after April 15th they sometimes have unfunded (or poorly funded) spots open and make a few more offers. I asked to be kept in the active applicant pool, but I'm not sure I'd accept if they offered. I know they are highly regarded, but their program seems very contemporary analytical and my areas of interest are not well represented, or in most cases not at all represented. I would probably have a much better time at BC where there are professors and students working in areas I am much more interested in. 

Hey—I haven't been active this year, but have been checking in now and then to see how acceptances are going.

I am currently a student at UW-Milwaukee and, though I'm not informed on the decision making process regarding applications, I have heard something about the timing of sending out decisions. From what I know, there are university-wide fellowships that each graduate department in the university nominates some students for each spring; and, if the any of the philosophy department's students receives an award, then it brings in more funding to the program. And the additional funding (or lack thereof) allows the department to admit a greater (or lesser) amount of students  for the following school year. That said, the university says that they make decisions about the fellowships in "the middle of March"—so the decisions should probably be come out very soon. Also, since spring break is next week, it could be that the University's fellowship notices will be released before the break. But if not: info may not come until the week following spring break. Yet, of course, there may be (and probably are) other factors at play in the timing of the department releasing acceptance decisions.

Either way, good luck to everyone. And if you get accepted and want to DM me, feel free. (I don't check the site that often, but if I get a message I'll reply as soon as possible.)

I emailed NIU and was told that I was not rejected (though I was not told I'm on a wait-list, either), and that after April 15th they sometimes have unfunded (or poorly funded) spots open and make a few more offers. I asked to be kept in the active applicant pool, but I'm not sure I'd accept if they offered. I know they are highly regarded, but their program seems very contemporary analytical and my areas of interest are not well represented, or in most cases not at all represented. I would probably have a much better time at BC where there are professors and students working in areas I am much more interested in. 

I was told the same thing by UMD about their program- basically that they weren't done reviewing apps, but I wasn't yet on the waitlist and of course wasn't accepted yet. So I just put it on my rejection list unless something fabulous happens, then I will take it back off! I am wondering if, in regards to somebody's Columbia inquiries, perhaps they are now reviewing files for the MA? Just a guess.

Does anyone know if the acceptances at Columbia that were posted almost a week ago are legitimate? Someone said in the results board that at least some applications are still under review... 

Yes, they are legitimate. The department is done contacting accepted and waitlisted students; whether they have an additional, internal reserve list of students they aren't planning on notifying, I don't know, but it seems unlikely.

I was told the same thing by UMD about their program- basically that they weren't done reviewing apps, but I wasn't yet on the waitlist and of course wasn't accepted yet. So I just put it on my rejection list unless something fabulous happens, then I will take it back off! I am wondering if, in regards to somebody's Columbia inquiries, perhaps they are now reviewing files for the MA? Just a guess.

Some UMD rejections went out today, have you heard back from them? If not, then you might be on the backup-waitlist.

Some UMD rejections went out today, have you heard back from them? If not, then you might be on the backup-waitlist.

I saw some people were getting their rejections today so I went and checked- yup, I was one of them! Oh well- to be honest, the schools I've been accepted at and the ones I'm waitlisted at right now are better program fits because they are a nice hybrid of both analytic and continental. I'd never see Nietzsche again at UMD- they would be like Nietzsche WHO?

I saw some people were getting their rejections today so I went and checked- yup, I was one of them! Oh well- to be honest, the schools I've been accepted at and the ones I'm waitlisted at right now are better program fits because they are a nice hybrid of both analytic and continental. I'd never see Nietzsche again at UMD- they would be like Nietzsche WHO?

You are hilarious.

We should start a Nietzsche addict group- Nietzschians Anonymous. Except we don't want to stop :)

It took me almost four years after reading Nietzsche until I could read Kant.  What did reading Nietzsche do to you?

Just accepted to the MPhil in Philosophical Theology at Oxford =) 

(Again, I'm not sure whether this belongs in the Religion section of here - but given that this debate has been raging for over a thousand years, and a resolution is nowhere in sight, I figured I might as well post it here!)

Long time lurker here. I thought it was about time I make myself known. Hello fellow applicants! 

I had actually posted to the results page last week that I received an acceptance to the Master's program at the New School for Social Research and someone responded questioning if it was real. It is real, though I'm not sure how to prove the legitimacy without disclosing personal information. I received a generic email from the Associate Director of Grad Admissions telling me to check the website where I had a letter from the same person offering me admission into the MA program and 50% tuition scholarship. 

Edited by Deleuzional

I got my official rejection from Western today and then my acceptance to SUNY Buffalo. 
Buffalo was my "safety school," so I will likely be going to BC instead. Hopefully I can figure out how to afford it!

Ryerson is a butthole and told me when I asked my status that my application was not even under review because I hadn't uploaded anything to "English language requirement." I had assumed that didn't apply to me, and no one ever notified me that my application was incomplete. Terrible form, I no longer wish to go there.

It's Boston or Buffalo for me. Thoughts?

I got my official rejection from Western today and then my acceptance to SUNY Buffalo. 

Buffalo was my "safety school," so I will likely be going to BC instead. Hopefully I can figure out how to afford it!

Ryerson is a butthole and told me when I asked my status that my application was not even under review because I hadn't uploaded anything to "English language requirement." I had assumed that didn't apply to me, and no one ever notified me that my application was incomplete. Terrible form, I no longer wish to go there.

Congrats. :) Now you have the enviable problem of deciding between programs. Is Buffalo providing any funding? 

If it were me, I think I would treat Buffalo seriously. This is especially so since Rodolphe Gasche is in Buffalo, albeit in a different department, but any chance to study Deleuze with him is always highly appreciated. James Lawler is also someone to study with for aesthetics and Marx. The rest of the faculty though, seem to be mainly geared towards analytic variations of ethics.

Good luck.   

Sorry to hear about the English requirement! I got an offer from Buffalo and am leaning toward attending because my interests line up with their program. I will probably make my decision after visiting at the end of the month.