2015 Acceptance Thread

isostheneia

:o

You're THAT guy??

I've seen this blog before. If it's satirical, it is one of the funniest blogs I've ever seen. If it's not, then it is still one of the funniest blogs I've ever seen. Either way, it's probable that "Noted Scholar" is trolling the members of this forum given his violent antagonism to every aspect of academia (not that that wasn't already known).

He's an absolute master troll. And if you ask me, this is the kind of thing that contributes to giving a good name to the discipline rather than a bad one (I'm not being sarcastic here). And non-philosopher moderators trying to weigh in on THIS. Get ready for something...

Edited by verificationist

Just got an offer from York University (in Canada) if it means anything to anybody :P

I'll probably decline both this and my spot on the UWM waitlist by the end of this week, unless my visit goes irretrievably wrong (which is unlikely).

Good luck to the UWM waitlisters!

Just got an offer from York University (in Canada) if it means anything to anybody :P

I'll probably decline both this and my spot on the UWM waitlist by the end of this week, unless my visit goes irretrievably wrong (which is unlikely).

Good luck to the UWM waitlisters!

So that sounds like three people are declining offers from UW-Madison's waitlist, with a total of seven (including mine) posted on the forum. I wonder how many people they accept off of the waitlist? Does anyone have any experience with this? Also, did UW-Madison send out a generic waitlist message, or was it individual?

Edited by riverstyx

So that sounds like three people are declining offers from UW-Madison's waitlist, with a total of seven (including mine) posted on the forum. I wonder how many people they accept off of the waitlist? Does anyone have any experience with this? Also, did UW-Madison send out a generic waitlist message, or was it individual?

Given the simultaneity of all the waitlist posts, I think it's a generic email.

It seems like at least a couple of people have expressed high degree of interest in UWM, and I would be surprised if they don't at least take a couple of waitlisters at some point. That said, the situation is unclear with those who're not on gradcafe.

Rejected from Boston College PHD. Accepted to Boston's MA, most likely unfunded since no offer of funding came with the acceptance. Emailed DGS to inquire about the logistics of an unfunded offer and inquire if I can be put in contact with students that also have received unfunded offers to see if there is any precedent about receiving funding after the first year. Disappointing, BC was a good fit. 

Has anyone in here been accepted with funding to UMass Amhest? I ask because I've been accepted and I'm first on the internal waitlist for funding. Really hoping just one person turns down their funded offer.

I know it's for theology and not philosophy, but I have to share my excitement! I checked my admission status at Cambridge, and it now says: "Awaiting decision by the Board of Graduate Studies - Status: The degree committee is satisfied with your application. However, your offer has not yet been approved."  

I know I still need to wait for the rubber-stamp of the BGS, and have no idea if they're going to offer me funding - but it was a wonderful surprise after all the rejections I've received recently!

I know it's for theology and not philosophy, but I have to share my excitement! I checked my admission status at Cambridge, and it now says: "Awaiting decision by the Board of Graduate Studies - Status: The degree committee is satisfied with your application. However, your offer has not yet been approved."  

I know I still need to wait for the rubber-stamp of the BGS, and have no idea if they're going to offer me funding - but it was a wonderful surprise after all the rejections I've received recently!

Congrats! Hope it turns out for you.

Congrats!!!!!! Oxbridge here you come :)

That's still pretty low, even for Madison.

Everyone should keep in mind that not all funding packages are equal (see the helpful data put together, I believe by Ian, in the other thread). Also watch out for how much fees are, because those typically aren't covered by a tuition waiver, and can get quite large.

Received an offer from Virginia Tech (MA) yesterday. Still waiting to hear about funding though.

Anyone hear back from NIU yet? I was told they were expecting to notify applicants no later than Monday, March 2. 

Edited by finetune

Received an offer from Virginia Tech (MA) yesterday. Still waiting to hear about funding though.

Anyone hear back from NIU yet? I was told they were expecting to notify applicants no later than Monday, March 2. 

I heard back yesterday (and from the admission page, it looks like a few others did too). I was told I'm on the waitlist for funding, which would be a full tuition remission and a stipend of $11,825.

I wonder if they just tell everyone that they're waitlisted for funding at first, and don't make those funding decisions until they have a feel for how many students are seriously considering the offer. Is that possible -- do schools do things like that?