2015 Acceptance Thread

isostheneia

On Wisconsin-Madison: Is it just me or is the funding package not very good? I mean, $14,786 in total a year?

See the funding survey.

My view is that it's fairly on target for schools of its kind (state schools) in regions of similar cost of living. See, e.g., Missouri at Columbia. Speaking only from my experience (as someone who lived in Wisconsin for four years, who has friends in Madison, and who has lived in Milwaukee, Boston, Philly, St. Louis, D.C., etc.), I think it's very inexpensive to live in Madison. It's not quite as cheap as Dallas, but it's close.

I think it just feels like a low offer when I compare it to what I would get at a private school in major city on the East Coast. But the cost of living is so much higher here. Groceries are higher. Insurance is higher. Rent is higher. For what it's worth, my grocery bill went up 50% when I moved from the Midwest to Boston.

Now in general, $15k is not a lot. $15k wouldn't pay my bills -- even in Madison. Maybe I spend too much money. I probably do. If I went to Madison, I would have to take on additional debt. So in that sense, it's not a lot of money.

See the funding survey.

My view is that it's fairly on target for schools of its kind (state schools) in regions of similar cost of living. See, e.g., Missouri at Columbia. Speaking only from my experience (as someone who lived in Wisconsin for four years, who has friends in Madison, and who has lived in Milwaukee, Boston, Philly, St. Louis, D.C., etc.), I think it's very inexpensive to live in Madison. It's not quite as cheap as Dallas, but it's close.

I think it just feels like a low offer when I compare it to what I would get at a private school in major city on the East Coast. But the cost of living is so much higher here. Groceries are higher. Insurance is higher. Rent is higher. For what it's worth, my grocery bill went up 50% when I moved from the Midwest to Boston.

Now in general, $15k is not a lot. $15k wouldn't pay my bills -- even in Madison. Maybe I spend too much money. I probably do. If I went to Madison, I would have to take on additional debt. So in that sense, it's not a lot of money.

Thanks for the info - I am not from the U.S. so have no idea myself. Looking at http://money.cnn.com/calculator/pf/cost-of-living/, which I'm not sure is accurate, the differences in living costs are big but not, I think, enough to make the UW funding offer comparable to most schools'. (15K in Madison corresponds to ~19K in Boston). But of course people have different consumption patterns.

I just got an official email notifying me that I am on the wait list at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Is anybody planning on declining an offer of admission or wait list offer at UW?

I'll be declining my wait list offer soon.

Thanks for the info - I am not from the U.S. so have no idea myself. Looking at http://money.cnn.com/calculator/pf/cost-of-living/, which I'm not sure is accurate, the differences in living costs are big but not, I think, enough to make the UW funding offer comparable to most schools'. (15K in Madison corresponds to ~19K in Boston). But of course people have different consumption patterns.

I'm glad you posted this link! I hope those of us who have lived over here can be helpful to you. I seem to remember that people paid $700-900 per person in the Cambridge-Somerville area of Boston. This was for a decent place. I'm sure others on the forum can relate their own experiences, too. I seem to remember that people paid $350-500 per person in Wisconsin for a similar place. I shopped two bedroom apartments in and around University City in St. Louis, near the WUSTL campus. Those were about $700-900 total, or $350-450 per person.

My own experience may not reflect others' experiences. It's always risky to post this kind of stuff, because I'm sure there are people out there who spend $600 per person in Madison and others who spend $550 per person in the Boston area. But I'm pretty confident that I have the numbers right.

I highly recommend that you look at http://www.padmapper.com/. This site is perfect for finding the real rent in a very particular area. I also highly recommend that you contact current students to find out exactly what they're paying per person for rent. Their word on the matter counts far more than what you find on the Internet. There's no substitute for hearing from people who have actually searched for apartments.

I should say that prices vary greatly by precise area. The cost of living in Boston proper is not the same as the cost in Cambridge, Waltham, Brookline, and other "suburbs" (?) of Boston. E.g. Waltham apartments are much cheaper.

I just declined a funded MA offer from Western Michigan. As a note- I've already written to decline all my MA offers so they can move down the lists since I know I have a foot in the door for the PhD- I want to keep those waitlists moving! On another note- I know there was somebody upset earlier on the posts about those not moving fast enough. That, I believe can be an unfair assumption. People need to make carefully informed decisions about these choices and deciding between PhD programs is a life-altering decision. There is a big difference between waiting to decline a PhD offer and rejecting these MAs because you have a PhD offer. It's excruciating because I want off the UW-Madison waitlist- but I GET it! Nobody should have to rush their decisions! :)

Edited by Nastasya_Filippovna

I just declined a funded MA offer from Western Michigan. As a note- I've already written to decline all my MA offers so they can move down the lists since I know I have a foot in the door for the PhD- I want to keep those waitlists moving! On another note- I know there was somebody upset earlier on the posts about those not moving fast enough. That, I believe can be an unfair assumption. People need to make carefully informed decisions about these choices and deciding between PhD programs is a life-altering decision. There is a big difference between waiting to decline a PhD offer and rejecting these MAs because you have a PhD offer. It's excruciating because I want off the UW-Madison waitlist- but I GET it! Nobody should have to rush their decisions! :)

I just got my acceptance email this evening from WMU. I dunno if your decline helped me, but in case it did, thanks!

I just got my acceptance email this evening from WMU. I dunno if your decline helped me, but in case it did, thanks!

Oh wow well if it in fact did that would make me feel wonderful! I think they must be a class act there, because I just received the kindest email from Professor Pritchard acknowledging my decline and wishing me the best. Sounds like a stellar program and personable people! 

Anyone have any info about Rutgers?

I have no graduate-level connections to Rutgers, but in case anyone has any question about it, I do know that Rutgers has begun to admit people (i.e. that the posts are legit). I learned this through my one and only real connection (outside of undergrads) to the department. I know at least one person on this forum has access to more information. Hopefully that person will find out more and post it here! (I take it you don't doubt that the posts are legit but that you just want more information, e.g. will there be more phone calls of acceptance, etc.).

Anyone have any info about Rutgers?

Sorry for taking to long to offer any information--I am visiting a department this week. I heard around 7PM Rutgers time that I was accepted. The email was from Branden Fitelson and seemed fairly generic, though very nice and enthusiastic. He said something about how great the admit group is and so I am assuming all notices are out, but I have no way of being sure. PM me if you have any other questions. 

Has anyone still not heard back from CUNY? I'm starting to think I missed an email or something. It looks like they have sent our rejections, acceptances, and now waitlists today and I haven't seen a thing.

I still haven't heard back from CUNY. I think that, whatever our status, they tend to send out acceptances, wait lists, and rejections over a longer time period than most other schools. So think of it this way: the fact that CUNY has sent out two rounds of rejections, and we still haven't heard anything, means we are still in the running. I inquired to the department chair whether CUNY started sending out notices, but haven't heard a thing from him.

Edited by riverstyx

I'm in! I'm in! Received an offer of admission from Boston College in the mail today. After having resolved to begin planning my apps for next year. I can't believe it! 
Not sure about financial aid situation yet, I'll figure it out when I can think straight.

Time for celebratory wine!!!

Hey everyone I have a question. How does onerespond to acceptance emails at this stage, when one still isn't sure where one wants to go? Reply and thank them? do nothing? It feels weird...

also: congrats to you ineedwine!

I'm in! I'm in! Received an offer of admission from Boston College in the mail today. After having resolved to begin planning my apps for next year. I can't believe it! 

Not sure about financial aid situation yet, I'll figure it out when I can think straight.

Oh!!!!!!!

Congrats!!!!!    :D

Congrats! :D