2015 Acceptance Thread

isostheneia

Quick question: Has anyone else been accepted to the Master of Arts program in Bioethics at NYU without even asking to be considered for an MA? I just got an email informing me that I have been accepted (without funding) to the program and I was wondering how many others received the same email.

Quick question: Has anyone else been accepted to the Master of Arts program in Bioethics at NYU without even asking to be considered for an MA? I just got an email informing me that I have been accepted (without funding) to the program and I was wondering how many others received the same email.

I did too. I didn't list bioethics as an interest either.

It looks like NYU is accepting many (all? most?) of the people rejected from the PhD program into a MA bioethics program.  

If it is a mistake, then there are quite a few rejected PhD applicants that are getting unsolicited acceptances to an MA bioethics program at NYU.

My bet is that NYU set up a MA in bioethics program as a "for profit" graduate program. A number of public schools have these for-profit sub-departments now. They are probably accepting people unsolicited because they are trying to get the program up and running and because... well, it's for-profit, so the more the merrier. (this is all speculation on my part)

I'd say it's worth it if you don't get in elsewhere. I'd probably choose normal MA programs like Georgia State or WMU or Tech or one of the others over this strange out-of-thin-air NYU program, but it's better than nothing and maybe with a MA in bioethics from NYU you can get a job outside of academia. 

Not at all worth it if it's for-profit, and therefore means you're paying for it. It's not different from UChicago's cash cow MA program for it's rejections.

Don't go into debt for graduate school. Particularly for some illegitimate cash cow program.

It wasn't a mistake. The letter seemed clear:

"Your application was reviewed by the doctoral program in the Department of Philosophy. While the department was not able to offer you admission to their Ph.D. program, we believe that you would be an excellent candidate for the master's program in Bioethics."

Well, received my last rejection today from Boston U. Accepted with funding at 1/11 programs, rejected at all the rest. I'm a good example for the advice a few others have given on here: "Remember, it only takes one acceptance." I'm really happy to have gotten this acceptance, as I'm not sure what I would have done with the next year otherwise. Something far less worthwhile than taking a PhD in Philosophy, I'm sure.

Well, that certainly seems like a very opportunistic and money-grabbing move on NYU's part. They should be ashamed of it. If you're willing to pay for a Master's programme you're much better off doing it at a British university, where Master's students are actually taken seriously and where you're actually working towards a degree that can get you into a PhD.

I assume a few people are like me and still have not heard anything from UCLA, right?

It seems like from past years that they hold onto people down to the wire on an informal waitlist of sorts.

I'm on this boat as well. Since my prospects are looking rather grim I would accept an offer from them even if it came on 4/15. 

I was admitted to the Ph.D. program at USF(South Florida). The department is a good fit for me. However, after a solicited e-mail from faculty secretary I am informed that they are not available to offer me funding.

I saw on the website that the department funds continuing Ph.D. students so I began to think on the question below. I really need your opinions to clarify my position. 

Is it common to begin your study without funding and to get funding(TA) during or after the first year? do you know anybody who experienced the same situation at USF?

thank you in advance and good luck with your decisions! :)

I was admitted to the Ph.D. program at USF(South Florida). The department is a good fit for me. However, after a solicited e-mail from faculty secretary I am informed that they are not available to offer me funding.

I saw on the website that the department funds continuing Ph.D. students so I began to think on the question below. I really need your opinions to clarify my position. 

Is it common to begin your study without funding and to get funding(TA) during or after the first year? do you know anybody who experienced the same situation at USF?

thank you in advance and good luck with your decisions! :)

It's within your rights to ask them if it is common for students to receive funding in the future. I would be wary though. Some students funded and some unfunded, with opportunities for future funding up in the air, seems like a recipe for a despairing, hostile and competitive environment. Great weather down there though. 

It's within your rights to ask them if it is common for students to receive funding in the future. I would be wary though. Some students funded and some unfunded, with opportunities for future funding up in the air, seems like a recipe for a despairing, hostile and competitive environment. Great weather down there though. 

Thanks !

I already sent an e-mail to the DGS about two weeks ago but no answer yet (and I am suspicious there will be). Maybe I should ask to the current students.

Thanks !

I already sent an e-mail to the DGS about two weeks ago but no answer yet (and I am suspicious there will be). Maybe I should ask to the current students.

After 2 weeks? I'd send another email to the DGS.

And it is totally within reason to ask the students.

thanks for your opinions! I will certainly send another e-mail. (but I guess it is hopeless)

I just learned that I was accepted off the waitlist at Oklahoma University M.A. program (with funding). I am really excited about this. Now, it is really time for a decision  :mellow:

I would really appreciate any ideas about OU btw.

Edited by mano

Thanks !

Mano, I'm Pming you about USF. I've been admitted there too and know a bunch about the program.

I got an email from the graduate school at UC Boulder saying I had been granted admission. I was halfway down the wait list and was recently told there had been no movement. Seems like a mistake, especially because it was an automated email? You'd think they could personally send acceptance emails since they only admit 4 a year? Did this happen to anyone else?

I got an email from the graduate school at UC Boulder saying I had been granted admission. I was halfway down the wait list and was recently told there had been no movement. Seems like a mistake, especially because it was an automated email? You'd think they could personally send acceptance emails since they only admit 4 a year? Did this happen to anyone else?

There is a lot of movement the closer it gets to the April 15 deadline. People might have been accepted elsewhere and are viewing the current problems in the department as a reason not attend if they can avoid it. One would assume that they would send a personal letter, but that shouldn't be a reason to doubt its legitimacy.

For what it's worth, I declined Vanderbilt through emails with the DGS back in mid-March, but I only received an official (electronic) offer letter from the grad school yesterday, which gave me the option of clicking 'attending' or 'not attending' (I clicked the 'not attending button'). It doesn't seem to me that Departments can dig into the wait list before this process actually took place, even though they've known since mid-March that I wasn't going to accept. After all, I was given the option to click 'attending', and if I really did that, they would be in a mess if they had already sent out an acceptance to another person. 

What I'm trying to say is, maybe some wait list movement is still around the corner. Best of luck to everyone!!

congrats either way!

What I'm trying to say is, maybe some wait list movement is still around the corner. Best of luck to everyone!!

I'm hoping that "around the corner" bit happens very soon, as the 15th is just around the corner itself. I am waiting on news from Marquette, and I'd prefer not to be in the position of accepting my current offer at Binghamton at the last possible moment. I understand it can come down to the wire, though, as many others may be in similar positions.