2015 Acceptance Thread

isostheneia

No idea. It's getting very late in the season and their deadline was one of the earliest. Frustrating to say the least.

Is it too early to start thinking of the possibility that none of the Stanford acceptees is active on Grad Cafe?

I refuse to believe that :'( 

accepted to Virginia Tech with a nice package and a very nice funding package, although at this point I'm leaning toward either the Wayne State or the Temple PhD offer. Still waiting on a lot of other schools though. And the NIU acceptance is just so weird- accepted but no actual email- why do you think they do it that way?

Edited by Nastasya_Filippovna

I have yet to hear anything from tufts, brandeis, and ucla. Presuming rejections from all three. Has anyone heard from these schools?

Just double checked the listings. Nothing from Tufts or Brandeis this year, so I would not presume rejection. UCLA has already accepted students, though I'm not seeing wait lists, I'm guessing presuming rejection is accurate. Others may be able to say better.

Just received an offer from CUNY. So they are still sending them out, keep hope folks!

Congrats! (And on a Sunday, really?)

Just received an offer from CUNY. So they are still sending them out, keep hope folks!

I don't think I'll get an offer from CUNY, the silence is just too consistent with the string of rejections I've had so far. But other people may have a much better chance, so good luck to all of you.

So has anyone not heard anything from any university and still gotten in this late in the application season? At this point am I just shut out?

Columbia and Austin Texas have not sent out any notifications at all (offers, wait lists, or rejections) as far as I know. And I think that's true of Princeton, Rutgers, Stanford, and a few others.

Edited by a_for_aporia

First off, congrats to everyone who has received good news so far.

Second, I wanted to see if I could ask some advice from any current students or graduates of MA programs: specifically, what advice would you offer to someone who has just been accepted to some MA programs and is in the process of evaluating which one would be the best fit? 

In addition to things like funding, I figure there are considerations such as the professors' AOIs, the levels of student-teacher interaction, and the philosophical community at large, but I wanted to see what other questions people think are important to ask. Are there any questions you wished you would have asked, knowing what you know now? 

I just started a separate thread for this  but whatever suggestions anyone has, wherever they are posted, would be much appreciated.

Just double checked the listings. Nothing from Tufts or Brandeis this year, so I would not presume rejection. UCLA has already accepted students, though I'm not seeing wait lists, I'm guessing presuming rejection is accurate. Others may be able to say better.

Historically, UCLA does rolling acceptances and rejections at random points from Feb until April.  Notice that someone just posted an acceptance today on the results page.  I assume that they admit their first round, reject the definite nos in early to mid-March, and then begin to make additional acceptances and rejections as they get a better sense of who is accepting or declining their offer.  It's kind of like a conditional waitlist.

Anyone applied to the HPS at U of Toronto? I know the results from phil department of Toronto are already out, but haven't heard anything from HPS yet. The application deadline was Feb. 1st (though I applied really early, along with all other applications)! Seems like they're running on a different schedule entirely..

To those who wait for JHU — yes, I suppose there are bad news. At least I'm rejected. I mailed my POI, and he wrote me about my rejection. Still we both hope for History dept admission of wait-list. Please, please, if you're Hopkins history going to decline the offer, please decline it! I'd might be in, and waiting a is very painful process. 

Anyone applied to the HPS at U of Toronto? I know the results from phil department of Toronto are already out, but haven't heard anything from HPS yet. The application deadline was Feb. 1st (though I applied really early, along with all other applications)! Seems like they're running on a different schedule entirely..

Actually, I haven't heard a word from Toronto's phil dept. Not all of the decisions are not already out.

i have a question- I was accepted on Feb 11 to Temple's PhD program- I emailed the DGS back that night asking some important faculty questions and didn't hear back so a week later I emailed her, just asking if she got my email, saying I understood she was busy during admissions season but I was looking forward to her response. Still no response. So last week I emailed my POI (rumor has it he is retiring soon and of course my other POI as you all know, Margolis, is 90 so that's super bad), asking him about how long he planned to stay at the school given that he is my POI (not referencing the rumor of retirement), and no response from him either!! Do you think it's odd that I haven't heard from any of these people?!!!! I just think that the school that accepted you would be eager to communicate with you as these are the most important questions for making a decision. Wayne State has responded quickly to every question I have asked and provided detailed information. I just wanted some input.

I think it is incredibly odd. Georgetown, which for all intents and purposes I'm waitlisted at, has had multiple faculty emailing me offering conversations and so on. My other two acceptances have been very timely and forthcoming with information over email and offered to do phone or skype as well. 

(Not surprised by Wayne State though, they seem like a great group of people. Their Hume scholar Jonny Cottrell is one of the nicest people I've ever met.)

Your students will gain a huge amount of value from my  blog, in case they wonder:

https://sciencedefeated.wordpress.com

I recommend the first couple months of my work, to get a sense of the foundational issues:

https://sciencedefeated.wordpress.com/2008/10/

https://sciencedefeated.wordpress.com/2008/11/

:o

You're THAT guy??

I've seen this blog before. If it's satirical, it is one of the funniest blogs I've ever seen. If it's not, then it is still one of the funniest blogs I've ever seen. Either way, it's probable that "Noted Scholar" is trolling the members of this forum given his violent antagonism to every aspect of academia (not that that wasn't already known).

Edited by notThatEddieVedder

Yes, the Temple people not emailing you back seems very weird to me. I agree that if they cared about you coming to the program. they would email you back. Especially since it's multiple people giving you the cold shoulder, that would be a red flag to me.