MPH CANADA FALL 2015 APPLICANTS

mphcan2015

Hey Everyone!

I was accepted to U of A and SFU for Global Health, which is really exciting! I'm having a hard time making this decision and would love feedback on which program is better. Thank you in advance! :) 

@eeee927 Congrats to you too! I actually have the same questions as you, and I've already emailed the Program Coordinator asking for a little more clarification. I'm currently at McMaster, so I'll probably try and speak with her in person sometime this week, and I can definitely let you know once I've spoken with her :)

@S.M.014 Hi! I'm currently at McMaster too ! And got the same email! I also emailed the coordinator regarding similar questions, let us know what you find out and then I will bug the coordinator in person if needed! 

Looks like SFU sent out more emails today. I was rejected unfortunately :( . Still waiting to hear from UVIC and Waterloo!!

Keep your chin up! I was rejected also from SFU. Remember, a lot of it is just luck and circumstance. 

Hey Everyone!

I was accepted to U of A and SFU for Global Health, which is really exciting! I'm having a hard time making this decision and would love feedback on which program is better. Thank you in advance! :)

Come to U of A! I'll be there, along with hfmerc. If you look earlier in the posts, someone, and I believe it was hfmerc, told me that she believed U of A was just overall a more respected program throughout Canada and internationally. But again, I'm not from Canada so I don't know. 

Hello,

This is such a great forum, I'm so glad I found it!

I too have just applied for the MPH programs at Waterloo and U of T (health promotion stream), and am playing the waiting game!

I did already receive my offer of admission to Waterloo, and am super excited! But have not heard back from U of T yet. Waterloo was my first choice when I applied because the online format is appealing, and their program content seems to be more in line with my career aspirations; however, after reading some posts (particularly from previous years), I wonder if Waterloo is as respected of a program? I don't know if I should hold out to hear from U of T (which is taking forever! Lol!!) I am super tempted to push accept, I only have two weeks left to decide...

Just curious if anyone else has accepted Waterloo yet? What are some of your impressions of their program?

I was also curious to those that received offers from UofT, did you see your status change to "decision reached" before or after you received your letter in the mail?

Thanks for listening :) good luck to all!!

Wow, bad news.  It appears that nearly all other universities in Canada participate, including SFU, in allowing American students to take out loans for studies, but not U of A. Before applying I looked at this information, but I guess the websites I looked at were old. Wow, now I have no idea how I will get a loan. Massive researching to begin ASAP. 

"Through ongoing policy reviews based on requirements of the United States William D. Ford Direct Loan Program, the University of Alberta no longer participates in the Direct Loan Program.

The University of Alberta also does not participate in private lending programs (e.g. Sallie Mae) or Veterans' Affairs G.I. Bill funding. Since the 2013/2014 academic year, University of Alberta students are not eligible to receive funding via these programs.

The University of Alberta will continue to sign deferment forms. If you have a deferment form requiring signature, please contact Student Connect for further instruction."

Hi! I am in the same boat! I also was accepted to SFU in the Global Health Concentration and also to University of Alberta today :) I am so torn between which program to choose. What is making you choose U of A? Thanks so much in advance!

Personally, I find U of A's global health program to be a much stronger choice for a number of reasons. I listed a few reasons some pages back. Ultimately, it's all up to personal preferences, though. Feel free to send me a message if you want to chat about it more.

Hey everyone!!

I received my offer for recommendation today from the U of A MPH Health Promotion program!! I'm so excited!!! So for those of you still waiting to hear back from the U of A, they have started sending out offers so hopefully you'll be hearing good news soon :):):):)

Edited by hn90

hn90 I also got an offer for recommendation for U of A Health Promotion today!!!! :) Congrats! I am very, very excited but now I have a difficult decision to make!....

I also got an offer from UBC and I don't know what to do!  :blink:

I like the sound of Alberta's program better and my inspiration for applying to public health programs in the first place was from talking to a U of A MPH alum who loved the program at U of A. 

On the other hand, UBC also has a good program although it doesn't have the Health Promotion specialization. BUT it offers familiarity of the city and campus and the benefit of having family and friends close by (I am a Vancouverite and did my undergrad at UBC).

@pineapple15 That's awesome!!!!! Hopefully we will be classmates come Fall :)

That is definitely a difficult decision to make. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the Public Heath program at UBC because I focused on schools with the Health Promotion stream, so I won't be of much help there :S

But I have spoken to quite a few U of A alumni and they were all raving about the program! I may be a little biased since I did complete my undergrad at the U of A, however I have heard nothing but good things. They definitely have a great rep as far as MPH programs go and from what I've heard the faculty and students are super supportive!

Good luck with your decision :)

Conditional acceptance from MPH at Guelph! I'm so excited. Does anyone know exactlu what this means from Guelph? Is it still possible for them to reject me at this point?

Conditional acceptance from MPH at Guelph! I'm so excited. Does anyone know exactlu what this means from Guelph? Is it still possible for them to reject me at this point?

Me too!!!! congrats! Was it your first choice? 

I'm not sure how it would work from them to reject at this point (the e-mail was pretty clearly congratulating). But conditionally meaning we need to come out of the semester we are in now!

Me too!!!! congrats! Was it your first choice?

I'm not sure how it would work from them to reject at this point (the e-mail was pretty clearly congratulating). But conditionally meaning we need to come out of the semester we are in now!

I graduated last year so I think I'm gopd :D it's my second choice, I'm still hoping for UofT's promotional stream but I know that's really unlikely.

Congratulations :D

I graduated last year so I think I'm gopd :D it's my second choice, I'm still hoping for UofT's promotional stream but I know that's really unlikely.

Congratulations :D

Great!! I'm waiting on one other but I don't have them prioritized. We may likely be class mates in the fall!!! :) 

Congratulations everyone! I've decided to definitely go to U of A, so I look forward to meeting everyone!  :) My name is Hannah by the way and I'm doing the MPH in Global Health. I'd love to talk to others going to U of A. 

Thanks for everyone's help earlier. I really appreciated everyone's support. 

Edited by out.to.sea

Great!! I'm waiting on one other but I don't have them prioritized. We may likely be class mates in the fall!!! :)

! Maybe we'll see each other in a few months

Got into Guelph too :)! They're my 3rd choice though so not sure what the likelihood is of me going there! Still don't know much about that program either, what's good about it and what's bad, so on! Any of you guys who got into Guelph could share why you want to go there? 

Congratulations to you all, and best of luck for the rest! 

Hey everyone!!

I received my offer for recommendation today from the U of A MPH Health Promotion program!! I'm so excited!!! So for those of you still waiting to hear back from the U of A, they have started sending out offers so hopefully you'll be hearing good news soon :):) :):)

Congrats! I look forward to meeting you soon! Well, soonish. =)

Pineapple15, good luck with your decision!

Edited by out.to.sea

Got my letter of admission to U of A Health Promotion Stream yesterday. I am so excited! Awaiting U of T which was my first choice. I hope I get it. But I am so confused, this is because I also got admitted in John Hopkins.. That's a highly rated school internationally, and I am just wondering if both U of T, and U of A, will pull as much weight if I decide to work internationally. I'm also torn between U of A and U of T (hoping I get it). My current confused state stems from the fact that I was rejected by every school I applied to last year, and this year, my applications were done expecting more rejections, that's why I applied to a school in Europe. So it's all coming as a shock.

Any help on which I should go for would be highly appreciated.

Edited by Aimaah

Got my letter of admission to U of A Health Promotion Stream yesterday. I am so excited! Awaiting U of T which was my first choice. I hope I get it. But I am so confused, this is because I also got admitted in John Hopkins.. That's a highly rated school internationally, and I am just wondering if both U of T, and U of A, will pull as much weight if I decide to work internationally. I'm also torn between U of A and U of T (hoping I get it). My current confused state stems from the fact that I was rejected by every school I applied to last year, and this year, my applications were done expecting more rejections, that's who I applied to a school in Europe. So it's all coming as a shock.

Any help on which I should go for would be highly appreciated.

Wow, congratulations on being accepted to such great universities. KIT and Johns Hopkins are great universities! But of course so is U of A. =)

I suppose it might come down to funding, since I'm sure it would be cheaper to stay in Canada. Did you apply for scholarships? If money isn't a problem then I think you should choose which program will better take you where you want to go in the future, no matter where it is located. 

Good luck. I'm jealous of you!