Back up plan

Anyone have a back up plan? I applied last year and didn't get in anywhere. I have been working as a para and reapplied this year. So far I have only been rejected. Waiting for a few more but beginning to believe this isn't meant to be. what are people's back up plan? Special Ed? Ot? Looking for some help

I was considering either nursing or early childhood special education. Nursing seems like a good option, but apparently there is a huge job shortage so finding internship placements and employment is super competitive. Have you considered becoming certified as an SLPA? Depending on your state, (I've noticed Arizona & Texas employ SLPAs a lot) you can do really well and have a lot of employment options.

I know it seems impossible, but don't settle for another field if this is truly what you want to do. There are many people on this forum that are second and third year applicants so just stick with it! Also, perhaps contact some of your ideal schools and ask them if your stats are reasonable and ask what you can do to improve your chances. This might give you better insight into what you can do to get accepted. Online programs could also be a possibility if you're flexible about the type of program. Best of luck to you!

Edited by Holly44

Anyone have a back up plan? I applied last year and didn't get in anywhere. I have been working as a para and reapplied this year. So far I have only been rejected. Waiting for a few more but beginning to believe this isn't meant to be. what are people's back up plan? Special Ed? Ot? Looking for some help

I am in the same boat. I am praying to get in this year, but I have to think what if I do not.  More school is simply out of the question...The only thing I can do is try and strengthen my application with my GRE score. I already have volunteer experience at a great rehab hospital and my GPA is pretty much set in stone. I will definitely aim for Fall 2016. Here is hoping I do not need to... :)  

I was looking at the "less competative applicant" thread that was started last year. It has some great suggestions and ideas on how to improve your chances of admission next time.

I was looking at the "less competative applicant" thread that was started last year. It has some great suggestions and ideas on how to improve your chances of admission next time.

Unfortunately, I am limited. I can't move to another state and I can not afford a private college/university. I live in NY and it is very competitive. 

It is crazy how competitive it is. Hopefully you get good news soon!

Thanks Slp1238

I hope you get an acceptance too! 

I really feel too much emphasis is placed on the GRE. I took the test three times. My last scores were V152 Q141  AW4. I went up in verbal but down in quantatative. My highest score for quantatative was 146.

If you are looking to be more competitve for next year, Perhaps look into diversifying your work/volunteer experience?

Working as a para is probably really good relevant experience, if it interests you, perhaps apply to different ABA/autism type jobs, or work with adults with disabilities or traumatic brain injury. See if you can shadow a few SLPs or do informational interviews where you can find out how they dealt with applications, why they like what they do, if they have any suggestions for you regarding your next steps.

If in fact you are considering giving up on SLP, think about what it is you really enjoyed about the field or wanted from it and try to find something with those same qualities. Perhaps post them and see if anyone here has ideas about what other fields or jobs are similar.

I found that I liked what SLPs do through my current job (working with TBI) and if I don't get in this year, I'm going to try and work more closely with the SLP who works there, maybe shadow/informational interview other SLPs at other sites, and I'm applying for online post bacc programs. You can continue to work where you live and still improve the quality of your application for next year. I understand the urge to move on with life and stop waiting for people to give you the go ahead, but I guess these are he es moments where we decide if this is really the field we want to be in. If the answer is yes, then there are always paths to our chosen careers, even if the path is meandering or takes a little more time than a straight one.

I get upset seeing people post about possibly giving up. If this is your true passion, as it is mine, DON'T give up! I am a second year applicant...the first time around I messed up almost all of my applications. This year I think I have it down pat. In the mean time I am gaining valuable experiences through my job at a day program for IDD clients. Everything and anything you can put on your resume helps. If anybody needs emotional support (as I all know we do) please don't hesitate to direct message me.

Agree with koukla! I'm still waiting to hear from a couple more schools but at this point I'm still considering my Plan B. I'm also thinking about applying for spring admissions. Not sure if this has been asked before but does anyone know if spring admissions are less/more/equally competitive as fall?

Agree with koukla! I'm still waiting to hear from a couple more schools but at this point I'm still considering my Plan B. I'm also thinking about applying for spring admissions. Not sure if this has been asked before but does anyone know if spring admissions are less/more/equally competitive as fall

I've heard they're less competitive. There are fewer programs/spots in programs, but there are also fewer applicants. i know a handful of people that didn't get in during fall admissions, but got in during spring with little to no changes in scores/resume/letters. That was always my backup. 

I get upset seeing people post about possibly giving up. If this is your true passion, as it is mine, DON'T give up! I am a second year applicant...the first time around I messed up almost all of my applications. This year I think I have it down pat. In the mean time I am gaining valuable experiences through my job at a day program for IDD clients. Everything and anything you can put on your resume helps. If anybody needs emotional support (as I all know we do) please don't hesitate to direct message me.

Trust me, it is not easy to post that you possibly must give up. However when you are limited like myself, you must deal with the realization this career path may not be in my path.  :unsure:

I truly want to be a SLP. I can't move across the country and I can't afford another 20K in student loans by attending a private university/college.

Edited by Arcanelady27

Being a SLP is a dream however applying to 11 schools this year and getting rejections from all but two so far(still waiting) is highly discouraging. "Try again next year" isn't always an option when I already racked up 42k in student debt and loans kick in this November. Getting a career is my only option now. Not saving another 1000 for applications... I feel all of your pain and seeing more acceptances to schools you applied to while you don't hear back/already received the rejection letter is hard. It's hard to be happy for people while you sit back and watch as your dream falls down the drain because to keep applying and volunteer more is just not an option that can be pursued.

I've been rejected from most of the schools I applied to this year.  I'm waitlisted at my dream school, but I'm not in tier one.  I haven't given up on SLP, but I remembered a woman coming to speak to our classes about special education.  I looked into it more and I decided to apply to a Fall 2015 program (they let me submit my application late).  I'm hoping to specialize in Deaf/Hard of Hearing individuals.  The woman said a lot of SLP majors apply to the program because it is pretty closely related to SLP work.  Just an option if some of you are feeling lost!  I'm not giving up, but just taking a detour. 

I am in the same boat. Second time applying for fall 2015. First time i applied was in 2012 and I have worked as an SLPA in the home health setting in Texas ever since. I love my job, however home health can be pretty draining... luckily I don't have a family (husband or kids) or too many other commitments because my job takes up a lot of time and energy. there are some people at my work that have been there for 5-6 years that are married, have kids, etc. and i have no idea how they do it! we can make good money- but we only get paid per session, so if a lot of clients don't show up or cancel during the month, then you don't get paid... that being said, we rarely get time off unless you plan it out right, yet you still have to make up those visits so its just more work at a different time. I enjoy the kids I work with and my clients range from artic only, autism, non verbal, down syndrome, etc. so we get to see a little bit of everything. Yet, I am still trying to see what other options might be out there because I don't think I can be an SLPA forever.... I am willing to take classes/go to school for another degree/etc. but don't really know where to start and what other options are out there.. 

it makes me sad that i'm not "good enough" to make it into grad school when I am treating clients every single day and making a difference in their lives. most of the parents don't even realize that i am an "assistant". but the grades have to trump the experience and skills that WE have, which is just not fair. i believe there is something out there for all of us.... the process is just frustrating of figuring it all out.

I am in the same boat. Second time applying for fall 2015. First time i applied was in 2012 and I have worked as an SLPA in the home health setting in Texas ever since. I love my job, however home health can be pretty draining... luckily I don't have a family (husband or kids) or too many other commitments because my job takes up a lot of time and energy. there are some people at my work that have been there for 5-6 years that are married, have kids, etc. and i have no idea how they do it! we can make good money- but we only get paid per session, so if a lot of clients don't show up or cancel during the month, then you don't get paid... that being said, we rarely get time off unless you plan it out right, yet you still have to make up those visits so its just more work at a different time. I enjoy the kids I work with and my clients range from artic only, autism, non verbal, down syndrome, etc. so we get to see a little bit of everything. Yet, I am still trying to see what other options might be out there because I don't think I can be an SLPA forever.... I am willing to take classes/go to school for another degree/etc. but don't really know where to start and what other options are out there.. 

it makes me sad that i'm not "good enough" to make it into grad school when I am treating clients every single day and making a difference in their lives. most of the parents don't even realize that i am an "assistant". but the grades have to trump the experience and skills that WE have, which is just not fair. i believe there is something out there for all of us.... the process is just frustrating of figuring it all out.

Yes, it's sad. As a SLP assistant, you have been providing therapy and helping patients for years. You do almost the same thing as a licensed SLP except for "diagnosing", planning treatment plans, supervision, and signing on reports, etc iirc. It's indeed sad that the gatekeepers at the grad schools disqualify candidates based on their grades on courses taken years ago. It's analogous to disqualifying qualified candidates for college based on the grades they got long ago in grade school. Not everyone takes the same path in life. People can be late-boomers or were disadvantaged earlier in life.