Fall 2016 Applicants

missmend

@alain I also applied (and got accepted) to Minnesota, though I'm still waiting for my formal offer.  Most of what I know comes from investigating the school's website - both for the history department and for affiliated departments and resources.  I'd be happy to share what I know if you think it will be useful.

@ashiepoo72  Could I PM you with some questions about Minnesota?

6 minutes ago, insidethesun said:

In the results listing. Someone was accepted to study American history.

Ok, just discovered that page. I applied for history of science there. Wonder if I'll also hear today...

9 minutes ago, anthrostudentcyn said:

odd question: are there any february 15 deadlines for programs?

There are programs with priority deadlines which continue to accept applicants after that date, if you are looking for another place to apply...

11 hours ago, stillalivetui said:

@insidethesun  It looks like they sent out all their invitations on the same day last year. It's not looking too good right now.

The rest of the invites seem to be missing in action. Maybe the lucky recipients simply did not report them. I have resigned myself to the idea that they've probably notified by now, seeing as the event is fast approaching. 

Though, actually, I am wondering if they follow the same protocol for international students. I know that many schools do pay for admitted applicants to fly for the recruitment event, but it seems a little unusual for them to cover international flights for applicants who have yet to be admitted. Anyone has any experience with that?

Edited by tipmar

49 minutes ago, anxietygirl said:

Is anyone else low-key freaking out about Santa Barbara? I have a really good connection with a POI there, and I'm really worried that I haven't heard anything from her. 

I'm in the exact same boat

Congrats to the Berkely admit and the Wisconsin-Madison admits!!!!

does anyone know how important it is to attend an open house after admission? I'm supposed to go to one to (meet the cohort and find out more about the program) but it's the same day as a research conference I've signed up to do. I've spoken to the coordinator about getting in touch with faculty and grad students, but I'm wondering if it would be better to simply pull out of the conference and attend the open house. 

I know it's a bit early, but past experiences have shown me that this cycle is pretty much wrapped up for this guy.  I'm sure there's still lots of great news waiting to be delivered to a lot of folks though.  Congrats to all of those continuing on!

Edited by SunshineLolipops

10 minutes ago, SunshineLolipops said:

I know it's a bit early, but past experiences have shown me that this cycle is pretty much wrapped up for this guy.  I'm sure there's still lots of great news waiting to be delivered to a lot of folks though.  Congrats to all of those continuing on!

Same here, friend... I'll give it another go next year i guess...feels.jpg.5ad281f4f86b699b59a6fcc61b9442

I only applied to six.  Top ten schools were such a long shot, that I didn't deem it worth the money and effort.  I ruled out most schools below the top 30 because of concerns about job placement in what's a rough enough job market with a degree from a top 30 school.  If I didn't have a little munchkin at home, I would have applied more broadly.  That left me with six schools with a reasonable fit for my research interests.  Thank God I've got a backup plan and university level teaching experience under my belt.  I'm considering taking an old advisor up on applying for a different type of PhD programme, but that would be an entirely different career path for next year, and I wouldn't send out a whole slew of applications again.  Although admission would be probable, getting funding as a US student in the UK can be extremely difficult, and British PhDs don't carry the same weight with hiring search committees because of their lack of breadth and teacher training.  I'm glad I gave it another try though.  Now I can walk away knowing that I gave it an honest shot, twice.

Edited by SunshineLolipops

36 minutes ago, SunshineLolipops said:

I only applied to six.  Top ten schools were such a long shot, that I didn't deem it worth the money and effort.  I ruled out most schools below the top 30 because of concerns about job placement in what's a rough enough job market with a degree from a top 30 school.  

Although I agree that the situation seems pretty dire for most people wanting to get a Ph.D. in History (or really anything...)...I wouldn't have ruled out "almost" all schools below the top 30. I had a (Skype) interview at what I considered my "safety" school (that is, a school where I was a good fit and my GPA/GRE exceeded their admissions criteria) which is at a top 30 school (I think it's tied for #30th? by USNWR). I wasn't really expecting to like it so much! It fits my interests, is particularly strong in my niche field, has produced one scholar I applied to work with (he's at Penn...where I've been likely rejected), and another scholar I applied to work with used to teach in the program (she's now at Harvard). I'd totally be pumped about attending and feel like I could achieve my professional goals, if they make me an offer. So don't count yourself (or your future career) out yet!

It's true that you won't rely as much on brand recognition and it may limit your options by varying degrees, but there are some really great programs that can facilitate professional growth at a scholar. Sometimes in these programs, you may find yourself being a big fish in a (slightly smaller) pond--racking up awards and other opportunities, which I'd argue is ultimately better career-wise than a existing as a small fish in a big one. (Of course, you could also perform brilliantly at both...I don't mean to imply there are only two options.)

That being said, I wouldn't give up quite yet. Perhaps do a mix of applications next round (what your adviser is encouraging you to do and a handful of PhDs) and see where you land. :)

Edited by nevermind

5 minutes ago, nevermind said:

That being said, I wouldn't give up quite yet. Perhaps do a mix of applications next round (what your adviser is encouraging you to do and a handful of PhDs) and see where you land. :)

I understand what you're saying, but having watched three years of faculty searches that ended with 80% top ten school grads getting the positions, I just wasn't willing to risk going much beyond the top thirty.  I did apply to one school just outside the top thirty, but it's placement record was excellent.  If I was flying solo, I would feel a bit more free to roll the dice in terms of programs with less impressive placement records, and I would very likely take another crack at it, but a third year of career direction limbo wouldn't be fair to my family.  Again, best of luck to everyone, and if you look at past years on the results board (as I'm sure everyone has obsessively), there's still a lot of good news to come from a lot of outstanding schools.

You bring up a great point, @SunshineLolipops. There are definitely programs outside the top 30 with good placement records, more commonly if they are known for specific subfields (MSU and African history for example). Everyone should be looking at and asking about placement, as well as closely scrutinizing that study on the top 20 programs that disproportionately place people in TT jobs that people have cited here several times. A caveat is if you're accepted to work with a famous adviser who happens to be at a lower-ranked program. Advisers with rockstar name recognition are a plus, but another caveat--only if people at the departments to which you apply to work know anything about your field.