Fall 2016 Applicants

missmend

3 hours ago, DGrayson said:

I'm feeling a whole lot better about the Yale decision the more I learn about it. It wasn't the ideal decision, but it's not as bad as I thought. Thanks!

Any Yale acceptance is pretty decent in my books. :) 

5 hours ago, stillalivetui said:

Illinois has "extremely limited departmental resources this year?" Well, that's quite worrisome. 

I spoke to a professor in the fall who said they admitted more students (and more students accepted their offer) than they usually do, so that's probably a part of the limited resources, in addition to the state's budget problem. 

I was so sure that I was going to hear back from about three programs this week, one way or the other! Two of my programs sent out word to somebody or other that they'd be sending out decisions "probably at the end of this week"—the third, UNC, I now understand, thanks @KLZ.

Dear POIs...you have my number, so

9 minutes ago, wluhopeful said:

@stillalivetui Early modern Europe focusing on the history of gender and sexuality. Hopefully we'll both hear back soon enough!

6 minutes ago, stillalivetui said:

@wluhopeful I hope so! Illinois is one of my top choices so I'll be pretty bummed if I don't get good news.

Good luck! 

I wish you both the best.

Does anyone want to claim one of the recent Berkeley admits?

Hey guys, I've responded in this thread a few times. I am a student interested in 20th century African history with a focus on the Congo. I got an acceptance letter from the University of Massachusetts - Amherst today! It was my school for undergrad and I have had an amazing experience with the history department there and my adviser. I am still waiting on responses from Yale (joining the club) and Boston University (which I think is a little on the later side). Best of luck to everyone! 

10 hours ago, anthrostudentcyn said:

Seconded. You should email them and then hmu ;) 

haha I'm really tempted but instead of bothering already busy people, I'll wait until March 1st. If I don't hear back...I'm assuming the worst. 

So I've gotten emails from professors at one of my schools as just a general glad to have you/ask any questions kind of thing, but I've already asked my advisor and a grad student a bunch of specific questions and to be honest I'm running out of things to ask! Is it fine to just say thank you and I'll let them know if I have any questions?

29 minutes ago, fencergirl said:

So I've gotten emails from professors at one of my schools as just a general glad to have you/ask any questions kind of thing, but I've already asked my advisor and a grad student a bunch of specific questions and to be honest I'm running out of things to ask! Is it fine to just say thank you and I'll let them know if I have any questions?

Yes, it is. If you've had all of your concerns addressed, you should wait on the fellowship package and decisions from your other top choices. Then, you can make the most pragmatic decision on which program works best. That's just my two cents.

Dear all,

Greetings from a third year student. 

When I was applying for grad school, these forums helped a lot in venting and advice. Those of you who are receiving letters of acceptance, congratulations! There's nothing like the feeling that you got in somewhere. Those of you still waiting, despair not. Responses will come in due time. You need to trust that what ever you do now has nothing to do with your acceptance/rejection. Now, those of you who had negative responses from some schools, rest assured that the right one will come along. I don't know how, but life shows us that the end of the world is not actually the end of the world. 

I only say this because I have been there and now, I can vouch that things always turn out the best way possible. Or at least, you try to make the best of it. I came back because I thought in all the people that helped me during my application and then moving process (I am an international student) so I might as well do the same for any one who needs just someone to talk. 

I wish you all the best, colleagues! 

AP