2016 Canadian SLP Thread

4 hours ago, PleaseLetMeIn said:

Dalhousie rejections went out today, unfortunately I received one. Back to the drawing board to try again next year!

Same for me. :/ 

Let's stay hopeful!!! We still have Western!

4 hours ago, PleaseLetMeIn said:

Dalhousie rejections went out today, unfortunately I received one. Back to the drawing board to try again next year!

Same :(  

I noticed in an old thread that U of T used to have a web portal for applicants. I haven't received a link or any communication from them and just assumed I'd get an email when they've made their decision. Other U of T applicants, were you sent a link to an online portal?

5 minutes ago, Hopeful_SLP said:

I noticed in an old thread that U of T used to have a web portal for applicants. I haven't received a link or any communication from them and just assumed I'd get an email when they've made their decision. Other U of T applicants, were you sent a link to an online portal?

nope

Hi everyone,

I am curious if anyone has heard of anyone applying to SLP with a MSc degree. I am wondering if this adds a competitive edge to applications. I haven't come across anyone in a similar position. 

Thanks!

Hi Everyone, 

Very roller coaster day today. First rejection email from Dalhousie and then an acceptance call from UBC! I am still waiting to hear from the University of Alberta. 

But over the moon! For those of you that didn't get the response they were hoping for don't give up! If this is your passion keep fighting for it!

Hey everyone!

I emailed Vicki from U of A today about acceptance offers, and here's her response:

"The department has sent out offer letters.  The department moved back the deadline so that students had enough time to send in transcripts with fall grades.  The department will send out all other letters to applicants once our quota has been reached.  This may not be until May or June.   Thank you."

Well, I think it's back to square one again.

Good news, McGill's deadline to accept offers of admission have been extended to April 7th. So, they are no longer forcing a decision before U of Toronto starts sending out offers, which was ridiculous.

I will most likely be going with McGill, which will mean an open spot for the Dal and U of Alberta waitlisters. I haven't done it yet, though.

33 minutes ago, psycoleinguist said:

Hey everyone!

I emailed Vicki from U of A today about acceptance offers, and here's her response:

"The department has sent out offer letters.  The department moved back the deadline so that students had enough time to send in transcripts with fall grades.  The department will send out all other letters to applicants once our quota has been reached.  This may not be until May or June.   Thank you."

Well, I think it's back to square one again.

may or june..? th uoft and western responses will be due by april 15th no?

15 hours ago, SLP13* said:

Hi everyone,

I am curious if anyone has heard of anyone applying to SLP with a MSc degree. I am wondering if this adds a competitive edge to applications. I haven't come across anyone in a similar position. 

Thanks!

as far as i know it does not they still look at undergrad grades but maybe it would look good to the person whos reviewing the whole app

Just now, OverCaffeinated said:

as far as i know it does not they still look at undergrad grades but maybe it would look good to the person whos reviewing the whole app

I figured so. An MSc is research thesis based, not grades anyways!

Anyone know when orientation and the first day of classes would be for U of A? In this academic calendar it says September 1st is the first day of classes for all students except those in rehabilitation medicine. http://calendar.ualberta.ca/content.php?catoid=6&navoid=1055#academic-schedule-2016-2017

4 hours ago, klfstudent said:

Anyone know when orientation and the first day of classes would be for U of A? In this academic calendar it says September 1st is the first day of classes for all students except those in rehabilitation medicine. http://calendar.ualberta.ca/content.php?catoid=6&navoid=1055#academic-schedule-2016-2017

I think I heard somewhere that orientation week at U of A is the last week of August :) Sooo maybe starting on Aug 29?

Edited by J Mack

2 hours ago, Aud2016 said:

This is a little late but has anyone gotten an email from UWO giving them access to the student centre?

I'm not sure about others, but I received the e-mail about activating my Western Identity on February 16th (Subject: Thank you for applying to the School of Communication Sciences and Disorders at Western University).

17 minutes ago, paidean said:

I'm not sure about others, but I received the e-mail about activating my Western Identity on February 16th (Subject: Thank you for applying to the School of Communication Sciences and Disorders at Western University).

Okay perfect. So did I. No one mentioned it so I wasn't sure if that was apart of the application process.

Thanks 

On 3/24/2016 at 3:10 PM, treaclemineroad said:

Good news, McGill's deadline to accept offers of admission have been extended to April 7th. So, they are no longer forcing a decision before U of Toronto starts sending out offers, which was ridiculous.

I will most likely be going with McGill, which will mean an open spot for the Dal and U of Alberta waitlisters. I haven't done it yet, though.

Well, now I feel like an idiot for paying the deposit. :/ But to be fair, they gave me absolutely no indication that they would be willing to change the deadline when I asked. 

I still don't know if McGill is my first choice or second behind Toronto. And I'm trying really hard not to think about it until after I finish writing my GD honours thesis. But it is super hard not to.

Not gonna lie, I'm a little excited that you are likely to go to McGill, even though I don't know you at all. More potential classmates! If I go there too then I hope we become good pals. :) 

1 hour ago, tillersaurus said:

Well, now I feel like an idiot for paying the deposit. :/ But to be fair, they gave me absolutely no indication that they would be willing to change the deadline when I asked. 

I still don't know if McGill is my first choice or second behind Toronto. And I'm trying really hard not to think about it until after I finish writing my GD honours thesis. But it is super hard not to.

Not gonna lie, I'm a little excited that you are likely to go to McGill, even though I don't know you at all. More potential classmates! If I go there too then I hope we become good pals. :) 

I guess we really shouldn't be surprised that they changed the deadline. Must have been a nice chunk of cash they got from that strategy :P

*Ahem* help me get off the McGill waitlist... :D Although I would love Toronto too. It's a weird position not knowing whether or not I'll be going to school at all in September, so at this point I really don't care as long as SOMEONE accepts me!

On 3/26/2016 at 11:46 AM, tillersaurus said:

Ha, aww, yeah I know what you mean. It'd be pretty cool to start out grad school with pre-established buddies. I already know someone who is going to be in the McGill class, although I don't know him very well (at the very least, we know the class isn't going to be 100% female, lol). I'm sure you'll get into U of Toronto no problem, though. Follow your dreams/listen to your heart/do the right thing (my advice tends to be very generic, what can I say?).

On 3/24/2016 at 3:56 PM, klfstudent said:

Second years start August 29th and I think you guys will as well :) 

On March 24, 2016 at 4:56 PM, klfstudent said:

First day of classes is August 29th!